Junkyard Wars scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting show, I'm going to have to try to catch it. We played games similar to it during my Intructor Developement Course. Only we weren't trying to build gear, just freedive to depth and orally inflate a B.C. with weight attached to it. The exercise promotes proper skin-diving abilities and is quite fun when two teams are battling against each other to get the B.C. to float to the surface first.

This week, Monday 8pm, CST...was indeed diving gear. Both teams had to build a 'diving apparatus' in order to descend to 20ft. and retrieve a sunken treasure.

Every week, each team consists of 3 participants and 1 expert in whichever field is chosen, ie., race car design, rocket scientist, boat builder, etc.

It's amazing what these people comeup with and although not pretty, how well their designs work!

Dee & I came up with an idea from the "Junkyard Wars", we developed our own U/W scooter. The Methane Fusion Scooter
We started out with 2 everyday run of the mill 10 gallon milk cans (lids included). We chose to use the milk cans based on their design, already having handles in the right places.

Only problem was the flat bottom. But after some serious thought we found the bullets from the grill of a "61 Eldoriviac" and duct tapped them to the bottom. Really gives it that "hydrodynamic look".

Then in each lid we drilled a 1/4' hole. Then we filled each, what we now call The Scum Scooter with 8 gallons of TSS that we use in our Methane Fusion Dive Light, less the alcohol.

Just before entering the water we shake the Scum Scooter vigorously for 2 minutes then the fusion process begins. Now look out, we get a top speed of about 5 knots and a run time of about 120 minutes, using doubles.

Only have found 2 drawbacks to this design:

1) The Sharks follow REAL close and
2) It looks like an extended version of The Warhammer Manuver

ID

Don - next you need to invent a windshield wiper for your mask. And I wonder if the warranties cover removing methane fusion exhaust from the regulators during service.

Turn signals and brake lights?

Tom

I'm not joking on the latter. Sometime back, maybe about a couple years ago, I think it was in Rodale's gear review, somebody designed a rear-view mirror for divers that attached to your mask. Honest-to-God-truth. It was on display at a DEMA show. It was hard to imagine somebody with enough money and time to burn to manufacture something that ridiculous.

Greg, I've got your back on this one. I remember laughing out loud at last year's Dema show. They were marketing it toward instructors whom needed to watch students behind them during a tour, and paraniod newbie's that feared shark ambushings from behind. LOL! I'm still laughing!

Rear-view mirror, wipers, turn signals, brake lights, helmet w/head lamp...what else can we think of? How about trigger locks on spear guns?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom