Cave & Wreck Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iguana Don

Reaction score
How come we don't use kevlar on our reels instead of the braided lines we currently use?

I can't see any disadvantage using it as opposed to the advantages in using it.

ID

I'm not familiar with the material as a line, so I've got questions.

How easy would it be to cut it if it caused an entaglement?
How heavy is it (relative to the braided stuff)?
Cost?
What's it's memory characteristic? How well does it go back on the reel after being streched?

kevlar degrades over time. that is why bullet-resistant
vests have a 'life span'. it is also not particularly
inexpensive. it can also be "stretchy": that is what
makes it so useful as body armor.

nylon on the other hand is like the energizer-bunny (tm).
it keeps going and going and going. it is relatively
inexpensive.

Green_Manalishi is right about kevlar. Since it has a short "shelf-life" it's not the best stuff to use underwater. The type of high-quality nearly indestructible but very expensive line that serious rock climbers use would be the stuff I would look into if I wanted to make my own. Until then, I'm very happy with my Manta reel.

Polymers - Kevlar etc..

The problem with Kevlar is its degradation. OK, so to overcome this don't use 100% kevlar. Modern nylon is braided right? surely either in place of some of the inner fibres you could use kevlar, and it would be protected from UV as it would be inside.

Possibly this would work by just having a small percentage of the outer fibres kevlar. All it needs to do is protect.

Surely, a small ammount woven in with the braid would work as a protector, relying on the nylon itself for strength?

I'm thinking that as the line rubbed and chaffed, the outer nylon would be cut sure, but would be significantly slowed down by any kevlar there.

anybody got any contacts for ropemaking?

Even if it did break down over time, how many people lose reels? I think I will lose one every 4 or 5 years or so (bought number 2 last year, which was year 6 of diving). Surely we can make it so that the Kevlar lasts this long.

Jon T

Mario,

Take a look at the EE Pathfinder reels. I have used one for a year and a half and love it. Just make sure you ask for the cold water thumb screw =-)

Take Care,
Eric

I have a few small spools of kevlar about the size of
sewing-thread "bobins" and the kevlar line looks like
dental tape. It is very "tacky" and sticks to itself
like bargain basement plastic wrap. due to its tacky-
ness it picks up all sorts of little bits of dirt, etc.
also, because it is, for all intents and purposes a
"plastic" it does not flame-seal on the end: it melts
and curls up on itself when a match is applied.

I suspect you would not want several hundred feet of the
stuff on a reel.

If you are looking for abrasion resistance, use thicker
line.

One has to only look to the fishing industry and the numerous Kevlar Lines on the market to start making you think hmmmmmm.

These lines don't have as much strecth as nylon, last as long or longer, have very good abrasion charastics. Don't know about color selection though.

Have friend that is going to the tackle show this weekend and will speak with a representative from Dupont about this.
Will let you know the outcome.

ID

While we're always looking for improvements in our equipment, whenever a "better" solution is proposed, expecially when the "better" solution is more expensive than the existing one, I have to ask myself "Is there a problem that needs a solution here?"
I've laid a lot of line over the years, and I replace all my lines on a regular basis - I've seen little abrasion, never anything I felt was getting dangerously close to parting, and I've never had a line part on me - I don't know anyone who's ever had a line part on them either.
So for this one, I fall back on one of my old Navy sayings... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Rick

Back
Top Bottom