New Mom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alison

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm due to deliver my first child in early May. I know I'll be away from diving for a while - my Dr. has indicated that I can expect 6 - 8 weeks off before I can consider diving - not to mention the time it'll take me to loose the weight so I can get back into my wetsuit! Is this time frame realistic? My weight gain has been very low (17-20 lbs)

Also, I plan to breastfeed my baby - does anyone know of any problems that have resulted with this? I appreciate any advice anyone has. Thanks.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one around here with kiddies. Well, your doctor is correct as far as the 6-8 weeks after delivery (that's providing it's not a C-section), but chances of feeling up to par, well take each day as it comes. Congrats on keeping the weight down, usually with nursing your uterus will shrink much faster. According to statistics it takes a womens body 9-12 months to get back to it's natural state. ENJOY each day of pregnancy and take one day at a time.
I have 3 little ones, 6,3 and 8 months, as you can see I'm looking forward to blowing some bubbles.

Medically there are no known problems with diving and lactation, but the bulk of medical knowledge on diving came originally from military and commercial divers, so there's probably not much of a data base to go on.
I know of no physiologic reason for it to be a problem. Certainly hydration is important to both lactation and diving, so watch that carefully.
Some of the motion sickness formulas have some tendency to produce dry mouth and may in some cases slow milk flow (as an antihistamine/anticholinergic effect), so check with your doc before taking any meds. Nitrogen dissolved in breast milk could not produce symptoms in a baby, as any possible bubbles would be ingested and burped out-- they'd have no access to the circulation.

Have fun with both adventures.. parenthood is a lot of fun... most of the time.

dive carefully and fizz-free.
John Reinertson

I got certified 2 months after having my first baby. I was breast feeding between dives. You should definatly wait until you are completly healed. Never lift too much weight when your body is still healing and dive equipment is very heavy. As for breast feeding and diving, DRINK LOTS OF WATER and bring a pump with you. I will never forget the first boat dive I went on. WOW! A whole day away from my baby without feeding was very painful.

DiveGal:
I got certified 2 months after having my first baby. I was breast feeding between dives. You should definatly wait until you are completly healed. Never lift too much weight when your body is still healing and dive equipment is very heavy. As for breast feeding and diving, DRINK LOTS OF WATER and bring a pump with you. I will never forget the first boat dive I went on. WOW! A whole day away from my baby without feeding was very painful.
Did you have any problem with our baby concerning breast feeding after diving? Any change of milk flow?

Hi Alison,
You've found a great place for scuba conversation, and I'm sure you'll get lots of informative responses. I am due with my first in early June, just slightly behind you. Be sure and keep us posted on your progress!
Take care,
Scuba-sass :)

My wife has been back to diving since our son was 3 months old and has had absolutely no adverse effects from the diving regarding her ability to nurse. Her only complaint was the need for 5# extra weight to regain neutral bouyancy, but that was more of a statement of where to distribute the weight to, not the fact that she needed it.

For reference, our son was born Feb 7, 2003. She is still nursing some (he weaned himself, its mostly a security thing it seems like right now), and she's lost nearly all the weight she gained during pregnancy (approx 30#). I however, have not lost the weight I put on with her..

For losing weight, breat feeding is your best friend. My wife dropped the weight quickly after child birth and is convinced its all that milk her body had to make for the kids. She was thinner than she every was in her life (except in the chest area).

My wife has extremely high pain tolerances (I'm a pain wimp), but oh boy the pain she felt when she couldn't nurse when her body had an 8 course meal ready ... a pump will be a must.

I bet you'll be able to fit back into that wetsuit a lot sooner than you think--especially if you're planning on breastfeeding. (If not, in the mean time, there's always Hyperstretch :cheering: !) I personally returned to my pre-pregnancy weight just two to three weeks after my c-section. Thanks be to the breastfeeding gods!
Granted, I wasn't a diver at the time and didn't have any tanks to lug around (just the little one :baby: ) but do be mindful of your doc's weight lifting limitations--especially if you have a c-section. Also hydration will be far more important as a diver and a breastfeeding mom. Yes, engorgement can kind of cramp your style if you're gone all day on a boat dive, but after a couple of months, 3 to 4 hours away can be fairly manageable depending upon the individual. Good luck to you!

SCUBA WIDOW:
According to statistics it takes a womens body 9-12 months to get back to it's natural state.
...which is why I always remembered my mother as being rather large when I was young. Her normal weight never went above 110 lbs but she is a devout Catholic, ie., got married at 21 years old, 9 months (and five days) later give birth, 12 months later give birth, 18 months later give birth, 15 months later give birth, 15 months later give birth, 18 months later give birth, 12 months later give birth, 53 months later give birth, 3 minutes later give up (on having any more kids!). God bless her :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom