New to List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ages

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Annette, a divemaster in Juneau, Alaska....New to this board!! Diving today the water temp at depth was 37 and above water temp was 21 - that's not celsius, it's Fahrenheit!!

I learned to dive 3 years ago at the young age of 45!! Since then, I have worked my way through PADI divemaster and am a member of our SEAS team (underwater search and recovery team). Last Friday, I did my first public presentation of my underwater slides. It was scary, but great!! Not too bad for an "old bag"!!

Hope to learn lots from this board. It is the first chat board I have ever belonged to!!

ages

PS...you need a scuba smiley!!

Kyle...never been in water under 70? Whew, you are missing some great thrills!! I learned to dive in Fiji....love that warm water diving....but there truely is nothing that compares to our Emerald Seas!! ages

That is one beautiful city you have there. I was there on vacation last may and the view from the mountain above Juneau (went up on the trolley) is absolutely stunning!

I didn't get a chance to dive while we were there but I hope to return sometime soon to do just that. Looking foward to dive stories from the true frozen tundra. Have you encountered a humback while diving yet? We saw a dozen or so while we were there, truly gracefull creature.

Welcome to the board! So do you DM for John Lachelt?
I get down to Juneau two or three times a year for work, but haven't dove there yet.

I spoke to John about the dive sites and the possiblity of hooking up with a DM, since a) I don't know the sites and b) I'm not diving solo.

Anyway, I hope to get some diving done down there sometime. Well it's good to have another :cold: cold water Alaskan diver on the board. :D

Hello Ages, welcome to the family here at Scuba Source! I've got one word for you... "Brrr" tis a bit chilly up there heh!

As for smilies, have you scrolled down to the bottom of the page and clicked on the underlined blue word Smilies? If you can't find something you like there, and know of something else you would like to use from another site, just e-mail King Neptune, or Lady Diver and I'm sure they will give you a hand.

Hi ages. I'm new to board. I like it a lot. I'm fairly new to the dive scene. I dive in the chilly waters of Vancouver, BC. Today water was 42F. Also been to Juneau. Was one our ports of call on a cruise. Very nice place, actually the best stop. Did not get a chance to dive there. Dive plans fell thru last minute with a fellow downtown Juneau, and our ship did not have the dive option, any ways have fun on the board. See ya around. Les

Ok...I don't know all the rules, so I am going to reply to several posts all at once. If this is a social faux pas....do let me know!! I am not new to the world of social mistakes!!

To newwavedivers - I did a slide presentation at the visitors center at Mendenhall Glacier...my theme was "Faces and Rainbows" and I focused on the colors and faces of critters found in our waters. It was great fun to do.

To Warhammer - Yes Juneau is stunning...you must have lucked out and been here on a sunny day. The constant rain makes us never tire of the beauty that surrounds us, be cause we get to see it so rarely!!

To DiverInAk - where in Alaska are you? Your name is familier, but I can't place you. I will ask John and Su tomorrow. If you do get here, let me know...we can always find folks who will take you out for a dive. Shore diving is free....however, if you want to get to the wrecks of the Kathleen or Sohpia, then you need a boat, and that can get real expensive. Unless Randy and Jeannie are here and they take divers out on their wonderful 65' boat "the Sitara" for about $45/day. It is a great dive boat.

To MadMario - I scrolled down...still think you need a scuba diver smiley!! Maybe one with little goggles and bubbles!!

To Les - I haven't been in the waters around Vancouver, but have been diving out of Victoria....It is quite wonderful there!! If you ever get a chance to drive down to Edmonds Washington, try divng the Edmonds Underwater Park...It is a great diving location!! Also, the Nautilis Explorer does two week dive trips up here from Vancouver. I have heard rave reviews from their Alaskan trips.

Whew, I think I got you all!! ages

What do you see in that cool water? How long can you stay down? How is it different from the islands? Sell me on going up to Alaska to dive. It sounds cool, but I'm afraid of anything less than bath water temperature. I live in Ohio, but sit by the fireplace from October to April (except for every possible trip south to dive).

Back
Top Bottom