Buddy Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turnerjd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK People,

This W/end my partner DM'd for an open water class. She noticed that the students on dive one didn't do propper buddy checks. She went through how we had been taught to buddy check after they had made a hash of it, but at the end of the day was pulled over by the instructor and told that there was no need for the buddy check to have been pulled up, and what the students had done was 'good enough'.

What constitutes 'good enough'? remember this was during an OW course, where they are supposed to be showing they can do the skills, what we do after we are qualified is something different.........

We were both taught to go through our own equipment showing your buddy everything, like below,

'B - Buoyancy
I have an inflator on my BCD, with a round button for air in, and a rectangular button for air out (press both to demonstrate) I also have a dump by pulling (show), and dumps on this shoulder (pull other shoulder dump valve) and behind me here (pull valve by tank).
I also have a drysuit, inflated here (press), and raise my left are to dump (raise arm)

W - I have a weightbelt with a silver buckle, right hand release (showing buddy weightbelt buckle)

R - releases - I have Pinch clip releases over each sholder (point 'here and here') a velcro cummerbund with a pinch clip over it. If you have to ditch my BCD you will also have to remove this drysuit hose - the same action as removing the bcd low pressure hose

A - Air - I have XXX bar (take a breath whilst looking at guages) -tastes fine, and needle steady, my octopus is here (point to it), in an emergency take whichever one you want (usually the buddy will say they will take the aas, but some say they will take the primary - as long as you know)

F - final check - can you see any problems (turn round) is my tank on OK, nothing looks wrong?'

To all the instructors here - is this a bit OTT?

Would you pull up a DM if they got their OW students to buddy check like this?

What the students were doing was along the lines of:-

B buoyancy - I have a bcd inflator

W - weights - I have a weightbelt on

R - releases - you can see the releases can't you?

A - Air - yes I have some

F - (Turn round) everything OK?

Both my partner and I think that this is a bit on the brief side, but it does meet the PADI minimum standards we suspect as all the elements BWRAF were covered?

Where is the line as to what is acceptable, especially in the open water course?

Jon T

...........of his class. Drop it and move on. If you are not happy with the quality of instruction offered by an instructor, I'd recommend not working with that instructor in the future. OTOH, it's always a good idea to know exactly what an instructor wants from you before you are actually helping with students.

AS for the specifics of this case, your buddy check was much better, but the other was adequate (except for the air check) if everything was understood. It's possible with students things might not have been understood.

As you observe instructors, you'll learn that most follow their agency's standards to the letter, they do everything exactly as required. They add nothing to the course. Usually, that's not enough to have a good course. Look for that rare instructor who not only adds to the course, but is constantly looking for better ways to teach.

WWW™

It is your responsibility to each other, so if you believe it to be so make it so. I wouldnt hold others up at the entry point doing a full check there. But at a staging point Absolutely. Now if both of you are fimiliar with each others equipment I dont see the need for demonstrating buttons and purges.

Hiya all,

It was an instructor that neither of us had worked for, but was working for the store that both of us have DM'd on and off for the last few years (we both tended to fill in gaps for them as we were busy with the club, and our everyday jobs).

Neither of us will work with this guy again, partly because I am not in the country, and her who must be obeyed wasn't happy with the quality of his teaching or his attitude.

I am surpised that what the guy let the students get away with is acceptable, but there again, I know that the instructor I had was well above the norm (as are a lot of the instructors here).

FAO swamp rat....
This was a particular case of an OPen Water checkout dive, where one of the skills is to perform an adequate pre-dive buddy check, rather than a specific on a boat post qualification senario. There was plenty of time, and there was no-one in their way, in this case there was no reason, for divers on one of their first dives to do poor drills. They should have had plenty of practice at this during their class, and be able to do them properly during their O/W checkout dives.

Jon T

A valid discussion...

I teach my students to do buddy checks in sequence from the top of the head to the flippered feet. Combining "visual" with "hands on", the buddy does an entire scan of their partner, checking, adjusting & verbally verifying the key points as they go. This process is repeated by the DM before the pair enter the water. It is thorough & time consuming, but the students are encouraged that with practice & experience, their buddy checks will move more quickly. The key is to do it the same way, every time. Basic training is THE TIME to take your best shot at instilling the proper attitude in students & to give them the simple tools they can take with them & develop.

It is the responsibility of ALL DIVING LEADERSHIP to speak up if they feel something is improper, inadequate or whatever. I encourage feedback from my team, it helps me to focus & improve. We are all human & fallible, but if we work as a team we can check each other's backs to ensure the safety & enjoyment of our charges & fine tune our instructional engine so it purrs like a well oiled machine.

Now, with a backwards sommy and a half twist...

I will dismount my soapbox.

God Bless us all.

D.S.D.

DSD

I agree 100%

The order you do it in isn't important IMHO, as long as you have a way of remembering it. The way I was taught was using the padi BWRAF.

If you have a load of blokes on the course that won't be offended, teach them to remember Big Women Really Are Fun,

And of course, for the Women on the course, Big Willies Really Are Fun.

Something like this gives then a way to remember what to do. Equally, starting from the top and working down works, although possibly brings fewer smiles!

Jon T

Doh! Jon what are we going to do with you? LOL!

Here's one:
I teach my students to do buddy checks using the basic BWRAF check as well, but I call it a "Barf" for short. As in "have you guys barfed on each other yet?" It works and get's the students used to using the 'buzz' word.

I am not known for my surplus of courage, but I would be afraid to get in the water and put my life at the mercy of gear that has not been checked by a)myself and b)my buddy, because four eyes are better than two and two brains are better than none :D

There is a reason for these checks and I expect my buddy to fully pay attention to the check; I offer him/her the same courtesy.

gozumutti

right and hopefully, did not disagree with the instructor in front of the students.

During the open water course, I don't think most people would really remember everything they learn. Doing things again and again helps.

Something for divers to keep in mind when doing buddy check is that another reason for doing this is to help divers familiarize themselves with operating their buddies equipment. In a real emergency situation, it would be nice to know where to look for the alternate air source (if there is one at all) or remove integrated weights the right way.

Jon, Mario...

I dig the catchy buzz "barfs" & the like. I use the head-to-toe routine as it ties in with the 1st aid/cpr training I try to talk everyone into, namely, the "secondary survey" which has them looking for lesser problems that may require attention, & in part involves a head to toe examination.

Can you guys come up with something catchy to describe "Head to toe survey"?

Any buzz provided will be appreciated!

D.S.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom