Dacor Tiger or Mares Volo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aardal

Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed that these(Dacor Tiger or Mares Volo) are new for 2001 and noticed that they have similar design but how do they perform? How do the ScubaPro Twin Jet and Apollo Bio compare to these fins. I want a effortless fin that will move me through the water (a get up and go fin).Thanks

A dive buddy of mine recently got a dealership for Mares. He was given a pair of Volos to use by the regional distributor but was told not to use them in rough water. If the Mares distributor belives in them that much, I guess I would have to also.

Ken

Question for you: What type of kick are you going to use? If you are wreck diving, a mod. flutter or frog kick should be used. Or, what type of dive training are you going to be doing in the future (tech,deep,cave,wreck)

The split fin design is not going to help you if you are going to be using anything besides a straight flutter.

Eric

Right now I'm working on getting my Rescue Diver and then on too Divemaster. Some of the specialties i'm interested in is ice diving, cavern and wreck diving also. What fin do you recommend? I've been looking at a variety of fins like the Dacor Tiger and Apollo Bio. or Should I stick with a fin like the US Diver Blades?
Aaron

Personally,

I like the Scuba Pro Jet fins, which are the same as the USD Rocket fins and if you have large feet the IDI Turtle fins. They are weighted just right to keep me in trim.

Eric

Gday

Ive been using the Mares Vollos for just over 6 months and I can't fault them. They are comfortable and when you need that extra bit of power, its there.
I used bio-fins for two years, and thought that they were the best, until I used the vollos, so go figure.
Hocky

Hi,

another card carrying Volov Mares fin wearing supporter!

Have seen anyone on the board who has actually used them complain...

I really rate them.
And they are so pretty, siny silver and all that...

As for the rough water comments... I dive them in pretty rough water, heavy tides and currents and they go OK for me ( sometimes swimming backwards is fun ).

_________
divekiwi

I am looking at the Dacor Tigers and am wondering about how they handle different kick styles.

IOW, are they only good with a traditional scissor kick? I use a variety of kicks in various situations: backwards or forwards sculling, feet up. etc., etc.

Right now I'm using Mares Plana Avantis, but they are a bit old and need replacing. Esp since I want to get pair that I can use with both my wet & dry boots. Right now I have a pair for each.

Pearce swears by his Quattros, but I wound up trading mine for Avantis because they were just too big, long, and bulky for me.

~SubMariner~

Okay.. I bought the Tigers.

Only have 2 dives on the so far... the trip to Bonaire at the end of this week will tell the tale! :)

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

I've been using my Volo's for 9 months under various conditions and have been very pleased. I took a scientific diver class which required using different finning techniques and zero tolerance for silt disturbance. The Volo's were very controllable and generated plenty of thrust with little movement.

They really reduce effort expended. My dive buddies have commented that my speed is greater while I feel I am expending less effort.

IO have used them in 6'-7' waves and had no problems. I wish there was more info regarding the earlier comment of not using them in rough water.

Since I am not an underwater photographer, I have wondered how Volo's would work when you are pushing a camera. Photographers that I used the Volo's claim that they work just fine.

DSAO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom