Air Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyleterry

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys-

I need some advice on managing my air. I always use it up fast. I push every thing to the last possible second, because I do not want to come up. Several times I have completly run out of air during my safty stop. In a cave in Mexico last month I pushed it further than I probably should have.

I am 6'2" and have a large frame. I know that causes me to use more air. I have started keeping a lot of air in my lungs and breathing in and out small amounts of air and holding my breath for long periods. This has solved the problem, but I was not sure if that was the best approch. Any advice?

If your holding your breath for long periods and with your lungs full, you could get in serious trouble. If you are weighted properly and neutrally bouyant you should rise as your lungs fill up and you should fall as they empty. So if you fill your lungs and the hold your breath, you'll start rising and the longer you hold it the faster you'll start to rise and then eventually BOOM, lung explodes. Course if you don't rise when your lungs are full , then your overweighted or not neutral, which will also cause you to use more air.

I've greatly reduced my air comsumption by breathing real slow and as deep as necessary to get to the point of just before rising (or just start rising) and then pause for second or 3, and then exhale real slowly to the point just before I start falling or fall slightly. This has helped me tremendously and I stay neutral as an added benefit. It takes practice and concentration at first to maintain this rhythm, but I'm to the point now where I do it without thinking. You don't want to breath to shallow or pause for to long though, or you could pass out unexpectly. Course you could always buy a bigger tank.

It's a *terrible* approach! You're gonna end up with the world's worst carbon dioxide headache, to say nothing of the habit of holding your breath potentially killing you with an AGE should you have a sudden ascent while doing it. Waves can even nail you if you're holding your breath near the surface. Just don't.
First of all, your gas consumption will improve naturally with experience.. relax, breath deeply and slowly and smoothly and enjoy the scenery. Since you're "big" then get a bigger tank - most shops have a few 100's or even a 120 or two in reserve for big guys.. ask. If you dive mostly where you're driving to the sites, buy your own big tank.
Be the shallow guy in your buddy team - you'll use less than if you're the same depth or deeper than your buddy.
But please - seriously - don't get into the habit of holding your breath. It'll bite you.
Rick

Rick an Warhammer are very right with this one. Skip breathing or holding your breath is a MAJOR :nono: I recommend you work on your cardiovascular fitness through endurance training, and picking up a larger capacity cylinder. Concentrate on your breathing. AND pick up an air integrated computer that will warn you audibly and visually when you get low on air.

We'd hate for one of our family members to become a statistic. :(

kyleterry,

you said here that you had only done 7 dives, so.......

One thing that no-one has mentioned is experience. The more you dive the better you air consumption is. certainly for your first 20-30 dives you will use air quite quickly. as you get more experienced, you get more relaxed in the water, also you start dropping weight off your weight belt as your buoyancy improves, also, as you dive more, your underwater posture and finning style improve. This should result in your air consumption slowly and surely improving.

Also, you might want to think of

1) get a bigger tank. I don't know in US terms what a 15L tank is (is it a 120 cuft?- I will look it up)

2) if bigger is not possible, go for a higher pressure - I use 300 Bar (4500 PSI) rather than the 232 Bar (3000 PSI) standard tank.

3) Go twins! if one isn't big enough, use 2!

Mario's suggestion of an AI computer is good if you aren't watching your guages, but if you are monitoring them, it won't help you much, it just puts nice pretty numbers there, instead of a moving guage needle, however it won't improve your air consumption.

More importantly, what kit were you using in the cave?

Cave diving relys on disciplines and the rule of thirds. You should never run out of air in a cave! Have you done a cave course? If you haven't - learn the lesson from your last cave dive, and get a course before you go back inside one.

Don't become a statistic!

Jon T

Kyleterry,

I agree with Jon T. you could have 26 dive computers, air intergrated or not and they will not do you more good than a single SPG if you don't monitor them. Before you do anymore exploring INMHO you need to practice on your basic skills. To keep you out of the situations you have been in.
Stay out of the cave until your are trained or you WILL DIE

ID

One thing: I have proved that an air integrated computer with a 'current breathing efficiency' type of gauge found on the Oceanic type hoseless computer has indeed improved air consumption rates in my newer students. The gauge allows them to look at it and monitor whether they are breathing harder than normal, and be more conscious of the breathing rate, and adjust it from there. It's just a mental reminder to calm down and relax. There have been sceptics before, but once they see that it works they too see the light. Try it out sometime with a relatively new diver, and you too will see.

Until you disprove it, take my word for it that this type of tool will make you more efficient.

Like I said, it doesn't matter what type or how many you have you still have to LOOK at it in order for it to do you any good.

2) if bigger is not possible, go for a higher pressure - I use 300 Bar (4500 PSI) rather than the 232 Bar (3000 PSI) standard tank.

Jon, If I am reading this correct you are suggesting he get a HP tank over a LP tank.

The pressure rating of a tank has no bearing of the volume of air it holds.

80cu ft is 80cu ft whether it is in a LP or HP tank.

This is a common mistake made by lots of people including myself until I saw the light.

ID

Thanks for all your advise. I think the more I dive the better it will get. I am a rookie, but it is a great sport. It is one that allows me to forget all the high pressures of work. Since I was certified 6 months ago I have had 12 dives that I would call absolutly spectacular. Now Im working at dragging my wife and sons into it (one son is certified, another is in the process, the others soon to follow). I'll let you know my progress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom