BC Good or No Good??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dstang65

Registered
Reaction score
I've just recieved my C-card, wow it's cool, but anyway...
I'm now awaiting delivery (from manufacturer of course) of my new Zeagle Ranger BC. My original intent was to procure a Scubapro Accent NT, and just happened to walk into a dive shop and try on the Ranger. After about an hour of the dive shop owners time, and walking around with the Ranger on I thought that the price was good as compared to the Accent, and I figured it gave me more versatility since I am in N.Florida. Plus for some reason all my instructors had back inflate BC's. Anyway, fit and feel were superior I thought, I could sleep in it! However, I am a newbie, and since dive intruction usually takes place in vest style jackets, I have not had time in a back inflated BC. And also wonder if maybe I got a little over zealous in my selection?? I stil have time to evaluate it, but would like some experienced divers both open water and cave or cavern to comment on my purchase. Also if they could include any back inflate v. vest testimonials or even a zeagle review?? It's a big purchase for me, plus its my first and I am a college student, so it means mac and cheese till next fall. I'd appreciate any responses. Thanks.
Dan

Stang,
It just so happens that I use a Zeagle Ranger, love it. Back inflation takes getting use to, but after you master it, it's a piece of cake.

The harness system is designed after Alpine backpacks, really snugs down to make you "one" with your gear. It has enough adjustments on it that it will grow or shrink with you. You can purchase different parts for the BC if need ever arises. It's truly a modular system. Many companies don't offer this.

The way it's designed will keep you horizontal in the water when diving, therefore more streamlined. The "Rip Cord" weight release system is flawless. Make sure you use the yellow bags to put your weights in, makes them easier to handle. I use soft weights. Also I like 2 tank bands, I'm big into redundancy.

I attach my back-up light on the right shoulder D-ring with a snap bolt and hold it down with a piece of bicycle inner tube. Carry a light with me all the time, you never know when you will want to look into that hole.

This is one BC that after a year of diving you won't be saying "I wish I had bought "Brand X instead" You'll find that you made the right decision when you bought it, even though mac & cheese will be the diet for a while. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me or post it here, would be glad to answer all.

Eat your heart out Mario.

Just my .02. Been counting I think the bank is up to $5.86.

I own a Zeagle Scout, which is a step or two down from the Ranger. Same style harness and bladder, just a little less "Hardcore". Therefore, I can not speak directly about the Ranger, but I have nothing but good to say about my Scout. Zeagle makes an excellent product and I couldn't be happier. From my first day of open water instruction, I did not like the vest style BC's. I could never find one that fit just right, and when fully inflated, I did not like the way they would squeeze my chest. In my humble opinion, back inflated is the only way to go (for me anyway). It does take a little getting used to on the surface (one or two dives should do it) because you float differently. I just lay back on the bladder like I'm in a big old recliner chair and have no problems at all. The fit of the harness system is great and underwater I really feel like it is a part of me instead of this big cumbersome jacket that didn't fit me and was flopping around everywhere.

In short, I agree that I don't believe this is a purchase you will ever regret. The Ranger is an excellent BC and it will grow with your needs for years to come.

Frank

Back inflating/integrated weight systems are my personal preference for doing search, recovery, and light tech dives. I use a DUI BCS which has yet to fail (knock on wood) on more than 50 dives. I have not had an accidental release of weight, even with a panicked diver grabbing at anything that floats. Make sure what ever you get has a chest strap, crotch strap, and adequate bouyancy for you.
Remember you will probably continue with your diving education so get something you can grow with. Find shops with different styles and manufacturers who will let you demo in a pool or some controlled environment.

Have fun and strive for quality.

Dave

My husband and I both have Zeagle BC's. His is a Ranger and mine is a Concept. We've been using them for over 2 years and are extremely happy with them both.

As others have said, the back inflate only takes a couple of dives to get used to. When on the surface, don't over inflate and just lean back a bit. If you think you need it, Zeagle make a small trim pocket the threads onto on of the tank straps. I sometimes keep a 2# weight there to help with surface trim when working with classes and spending alot of time on the surface.

My weight integrated system has velcro flaps instead of the rip cord system. I've never had a single incidence of the weights dropping out. You'll definately want to get the yellow weight pouches. I find soft weights to be more comfortable but the hard ones work just fine, too.

I think you'll be very pleased with your purchase. You'll have an excellent quality BC that can adjust to your preferences and provide you with years of service.

Congratulations!
Dee

Dan, first of all welcome to diving. And don't worry you made a great choice by choosing a Zeagle. It's a quality product that will last you (hopefully) until you graduate and get a job, then (hopefully) you can go out and buy something better. (The 911 Rescue is sweet!)

Don, you never fail to crack me up, you're such a FREAK! By the way do you carry your light when you go to bars too? You know... for the same reasons you would carry one when you're diving...LOL :)

Mario

I too have nothing but good things to say about the Ranger and Zeagle BCs in general. If you've never dove a back-inflation BC then I'd say a pool dive or 3 or maybe a shallow open water dive like a quarry that has a training platform, would be a great help in getting use to the BC. Something you need to know about the Ranger, and back-inflation BCs in general, is that in order to completely release all the air from them, you need to get your body in an upright postion with your left(side of inflator/deflator) slightly higher than your right. So you'll be vertical, headup, with right side tilted down a little. This shouldn't be a problem since you should assume that postion anyway before making your ascent, but if you just happen to put to much air in at depth, then you may have to do this to regain control.

I appreciate all the responses, I feel much better about my new powdered cheese and carbo diet. I read alot of the reasons that I bought the BC in the first place in your responses. Again I appreciate all your help. Hopefully now I can get this thing in the water. This is totally off subject but what is DIR? Thanks.

Mario SQ Caner,
As a matter of fact I do, but usually use my Blackwater 3000, + a back-up.

You just never know!

Back
Top Bottom