Options for Northenders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viejo

Registered
Reaction score
We'll be staying near the Coral Princess north of town. Can anyone recommend good dive operators who can come get us up there? We've used several dive shops in the past, wanting (maybe needing) to try someone new. There will be five divers there from 10 days to two weeks. Thoughts anyone?

I'd rent a car - most dive ops won't pickup north of town, and with several of you splitting the cost, $$ per person will be minimal. Also gives you freedom to check out off the beaten path areas/restaurants etc.
Rich

Have you checked out Pepe's Scuba? They're right at the Coral Princess. I considered staying at the Coral Princess earlier this year and found several good reviews about Pepe's. If there are 5 of you diving and you are right there, I'd bet you'd be able to work with them on getting a good deal and probably a private boat. It would be alot easier for you then having to get to the marina every morning.

Rwhiting:
I'd rent a car - most dive ops won't pickup north of town, and with several of you splitting the cost, $$ per person will be minimal. Also gives you freedom to check out off the beaten path areas/restaurants etc.
Rich

Thanks, but having been to Cozumel a dozen or so times we know those local haunts like the back of our hands! We've never stayed on the North side. We decided we want to avoid the flood of cruise ships. Didn't think about the distance to the majority of the dive shops though. We're inherently lazy, we want to walk off the boat and be home in seconds. Pepe's is an option, but haven't read any reviews for them.

I am considering staying north of town on my next trip. I would be interested in hearing from people who have stayed up there of how the worked the dive pickup.

Did ops pick you up there? If so, which ones? Take the taxi to the Marina (how much did it cost?)? Take a taxi into town and then have dive op pick you up? Etc, Etc?

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

richhagelin:
I am considering staying north of town on my next trip. I would be interested in hearing from people who have stayed up there of how the worked the dive pickup.

Did ops pick you up there? If so, which ones? Take the taxi to the Marina (how much did it cost?)? Take a taxi into town and then have dive op pick you up? Etc, Etc?

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

We're staying just north of the Coral Princess. We've decided to dive with Blue XT Sea who will pick us up at the main pier downtown. Its a $4 cab ride each way. No big deal. In addition to the convenience, Christi has been very patient and accomodating, not bad for a t-sip (sorry Christi, couldn't help it!).

My family and I stayed at the Coral Princess while we down in Cozumel for a week this past winter. My brother, dad, and I were going to finish our referral and than do some other dives. Our original plan was to dive with "Scuba With Alison." Like most operators she could not pick us up, so we rented a car. We rented the car not only for diving but also to explore the island because it was our first time in Cozumel. But when we arrived the weather was bad so no boats could go out diving. So instead of doing our referral with "Scuba With Alison" we got hooked up with Pepe Scuba to do our dives from the shore. Along the Coral Princess there is a "wall/ledge" instead of a beach and it was very easy shore diving just following the "wall." Pepe's was a very good dive op and I would recommend them. After we completed our referral we did the rest of our diving with "Scuba With Allison" which I would also very strongly recommend. Both of the dive shops had small "fast boats" which was a lot nicer than a "cattle boat."

Back
Top Bottom