Advice needed: trip to cozomel Aug 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevebob

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to the Yucatan Peninsula for 10 days. We are both pretty adventurous and want to explore the history and the local culture, probably with a rental car. I would also like some quality beach time too. I keep hearing how nice the diving is, especially in Cozamel. I am now planning the trip and I am wondering is it worth taking a day or three to learn to scuba dive and if so where and what is the most economical way to do this. (I have never been certified to dive - is it better to get that done here before I leave).

thanks so much in advance,

seth

stevebob:
Hello everyone,
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to the Yucatan Peninsula for 10 days. We are both pretty adventurous and want to explore the history and the local culture, probably with a rental car. I would also like some quality beach time too. I keep hearing how nice the diving is, especially in Cozumel. I am now planning the trip and I am wondering is it worth taking a day or three to learn to scuba dive and if so where and what is the most economical way to do this. (I have never been certified to dive - is it better to get that done here before I leave).

Thanks so much in advance,

seth

Seth,

Welcome to Scubaboard!

Are you interested in Scuba Certification or just a Discover Scuba Diving Experience?
Check out this website to just to get an idea for the amount time and money it could take for the Discover Scuba or to do an Open water Certification. http://www.liquidbluedivers.com/courses.html#discover.

Have been told it is better to certify prior going on vacation and be able to spend all your time diving on the reefs rather than training and doing check out dives.

What ever you decide to do have fun on your vacation!

AZ Divers

Hi Seth! If you're interested in history and culture, you may want to consider spending a few days of your vacation somewhere between Playa del Carmen and Tulum on the mainland. From there you could visit the Mayan ruins at Tulum and Coba, and also enjoy some really nice, less crowded beaches. There are also lots of cenotes in the area. My favorite place to stay in that area is Vista del Mar condos on Half Moon Bay in Akumal. Very laid back, relaxing place. 4 days in Coz first, then 3-4 days in Akumal. You'll get the best of both.

Completing certification while on vacation is doable, but you'll find that there will be little time to do anything else. The course work, videos, tests, pool work and required dives will take up all day and a few hours of your evening for 4-5 days.

hey scubawife-
thank you for your input! For me this is a random journey (boston to mexico) and I appreciate the advice.

seth

scubawife:
Hi Seth! If you're interested in history and culture, you may want to consider spending a few days of your vacation somewhere between Playa del Carmen and Tulum on the mainland. From there you could visit the Mayan ruins at Tulum and Coba, and also enjoy some really nice, less crowded beaches. There are also lots of cenotes in the area. My favorite place to stay in that area is Vista del Mar condos on Half Moon Bay in Akumal. Very laid back, relaxing place. 4 days in Coz first, then 3-4 days in Akumal. You'll get the best of both.

Completing certification while on vacation is doable, but you'll find that there will be little time to do anything else. The course work, videos, tests, pool work and required dives will take up all day and a few hours of your evening for 4-5 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom