Dangerous Sharks in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Are there any dangerous sharks in Cozumel? ie; tiger or bull? Has anyone ever seen these sharks in the area? I in no way fear these sharks just curious. I would love to see one in the wild but didn't know if Cozumel had any? Thanks and forgive my ignorance.

Dangerouse sharks? are there such a things?

the only sharks i have seen in over a decade of diving Coz are nurse sharks, not even a white tip or gray reef. I keep looking and looking...but no luck.

robbcayman:
Are there any dangerous sharks in Cozumel? ie; tiger or bull? Has anyone ever seen these sharks in the area? I in no way fear these sharks just curious. I would love to see one in the wild but didn't know if Cozumel had any? Thanks and forgive my ignorance.

The only dangerous sharks you'll see on Cozumel are on the sidewalk in front of the diamond stores and in the lobby of your hotel selling timeshares.

Len:
The only dangerous sharks you'll see on Cozumel are on the sidewalk in front of the diamond stores and in the lobby of your hotel selling timeshares.

Ditto.......hahaha

I have only seen nurse and white tip(1) in Cozs' waters in over 100 dives

robbcayman:
Saw a Hammerhead at the surface a few years back... he was trying to mouth an inflated puffer.

We tried to get our snorkle gear on but he swam away as soon as the DM got in the water. It was cool to see... just wish I could see one while in the water.

I think if you go to Maracaibo your chances increase in seeing things other than nurse sharks.

robbcayman:

There are occasionally some pretty large pelagic sharks across the channel near Playa del Carmen. I've never actually seen one but a few years ago when we were fishing over there my brother-in-law caught the front third of a white marlin. The contest between fish and fisherman was proceeding normally until... a huge splash and a suddenly slack line. He reeled in what was left. Whites are pretty big fish, so whatever ripped the back 2/3 of it off in one bite was a BIG predator.

I had a smallish tuna on a couple of years later, and it was coming in OK until a freight train heading for the bottom tore off nearly all the line from the reel and bit it off. OK, you can HAVE the tuna!

Len:
I always say the sharks in Cozumel are all standing at the bar at Carlos & Charlies!!!!
Except for the VERY RARE occaisonal other type - We really basically only have nurse sharks.

I've logged nearly 500 dives in Cozumel - lots of nurse sharks.

We've seen "real" sharks, only three times; all were small reef sharks.

This one was about a foot-long!
reef.jpg

I love the comments about the sharks in town!!!!!! LOL

Len:

Don't forget the white shirts at the airport.

jlyle:
I've logged nearly 500 dives in Cozumel - lots of nurse sharks.

We've seen "real" sharks, only three times; all were small reef sharks.

This one was about a foot-long!
reef.jpg

I love the comments about the sharks in town!!!!!! LOL

Is this a reef shark?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom