What to pack for Cozumel trip??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phylo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Well the time is finally here, I leave Saturday for Cozumel and Im
looking for any pointers about what to take with me!

The plan so far is to pack bc, reg and camera equipment in carry on and
the fins and wetsuit in my non carry on.. Other than that its just going
to be shorts, shirts and whatever else I decide I need for my stay in
Cozumel..

Any suggestions about stuff I should bring along?

Thanks
Phil..

phylo:

Cozumel..

Thanks
Phil..

Sounds like you have the basics covered. Two things that you might want to leave at home though are gloves and dive knives. They are prohibited to have while diving in Cozumel. For other suggestions, there is a thread devoted soley to Cozumel.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=208

sunglasses and swimsuit..........oh, and money of course!!

phylo:

Cozumel..

Thanks
Phil..

I use an Igloo rolling ice chest as a checked bag. It's long enough to hold my fins, it's rigid enough to protect delicate dive gear, it holds a lot of stuff, it keeps beer cold in the room (even if the room has a fridge, beer on ice is colder), and it transports frozen fish back to the States if the fishing is productive.

renpirate:
Two things that you might want to leave at home though are gloves and dive knives.

Bring the gloves, they are allowed, and recommended on the wreck. I'd also bring a safety sausage.

James

I like bring a stash of 1$, $5, and $10 bills. Dollars are as good as pesos there -- especially for incidentals such as tipping dive and hotel personnel, taking cabs, dining out, visits to Chedraui (big grocery store); and gawd knows what else. Have a great trip. By the way, where you staying?

phylo:
The plan so far is to pack bc, reg and camera equipment in carry on
You can fit all that in your carry on!!!!!
Teach me, Teach me...

James Goddard:
Bring the gloves, they are allowed, and recommended on the wreck. I'd also bring a safety sausage.

James

Gloves are prohibited and fines can be levied. However, they often leave it up to the dive guides to enforce this rule. In practice, this can lead to a relaxation of the rules. The C-53 wreck is a good example of a place where they might break that rule, since gloves are always a good idea in a wreck. The purpose behind the no gloves rule is to prevent the thousands of tourists from touching the coral all the time.

Here is a reference:

http://www.cozumeldiveguide.com/regulations.php

I second the safety sausage and also a audible signal device such as a dive alert.

renpirate:
Gloves are prohibited and fines can be levied. However, they often leave it up to the dive guides to enforce this rule. In practice, this can lead to a relaxation of the rules. The C-53 wreck is a good example of a place where they might break that rule, since gloves are always a good idea in a wreck. The purpose behind the no gloves rule is to prevent the thousands of tourists from touching the coral all the time.

Here is a reference:

http://www.cozumeldiveguide.com/regulations.php

I second the safety sausage and also a audible signal device such as a dive alert.

Actually, and unfortunatly, I've never seen a DM even give a second glance to a diver using gloves in Cozumel. However I was specificly refering to the C-53, my understanding is that the marine park allows goves on that dive. It's not a relaxation of the rules. Christi, care to clear that up?

James

James Goddard:
Actually, and unfortunatly, I've never seen a DM even give a second glance to a diver using gloves in Cozumel. However I was specificly refering to the C-53, my understanding is that the marine park allows goves on that dive. It's not a relaxation of the rules. Christi, care to clear that up?

James

I've seen DM's on two seperate boats mention it to divers, so it sounds like it is a case of sporadic enforcement.

In any case, since you were specifically refering to the c-53, I agree with you about bringing gloves for the wreck. It makes sense that they would allow them, so it probably is allowed. I just haven't found anything about it in writing.

Back
Top Bottom