Cozumel advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daveyb430

Registered
Reaction score
I got such great advice about my dive in GC that I now need the same about diving in Cozemel in October. Can anyone recommend any quality dive shops/spots. I will be doing a pm 2 tank dive. I understand that there is great drift dives in Cozumel. Is the current pretty strong all around the island, or are there places that are relatively calm. I'm open to a drift dive. Hopefully there will be no hurricaines. I've seen enough here in Florida the last year. Thanks in advance.

daveyb430:
I got such great advice about my dive in GC that I now need the same about diving in Cozemel in October. Can anyone recommend any quality dive shops/spots. I will be doing a pm 2 tank dive. I understand that there is great drift dives in Cozumel. Is the current pretty strong all around the island, or are there places that are relatively calm. I'm open to a drift dive. Hopefully there will be no hurricaines. I've seen enough here in Florida the last year. Thanks in advance.

Check out www.scubawithalison.com Alison is great! she runs a small boat that is not crowded. We did a drift dive with her and it was no problem at all. She has the boat follow you in the water to pick you up down drift. She is very accomodating and customer friendly. Not all dives are drift dives. She will take you anywhere you want and her price is great...

daveyb430:

Dave:
There are over 80 dive ops in Cozumel. So I would want to ask you a few questions before I would suggest one for you.

Do you want to do a foward stride or a backward roll off the boat? Do you even care about this? Some people do.

Do you want a boat with a head? Do you want a boat with a canopy?

Do you want a fast boat that only takes 6 divers out, or do you want to be part of a larger boat to slowly get ready to set up and get in the water. Do you need a buddy?

Just a few things to think about..there are more..

Natasha..I haven't been toCoz in 6 or 7 years...is Aldora still rated #1 ?
Natasha:
Dave:
There are over 80 dive ops in Cozumel. So I would want to ask you a few questions before I would suggest one for you.

Do you want to do a foward stride or a backward roll off the boat? Do you even care about this? Some people do.

Do you want a boat with a head? Do you want a boat with a canopy?

Do you want a fast boat that only takes 6 divers out, or do you want to be part of a larger boat to slowly get ready to set up and get in the water. Do you need a buddy?

Just a few things to think about..there are more..

Bueno:

I think that depends who you ask dear. I believe according to Rodales (cough) they still get an 'A'..along with several others. :)

Bueno:

Some like them, some don't. There is no #1 dive op on Cozumel, never was. It all depends on what sort of experience you are looking for, and there are lots of variables.

Bueno:

We used Aldora this last Easter. The shop was under intense construction, and was a mess, but I'm sure it will be all for the better. A little high priced. I can't say enough good things about the mgr, Memo, but that's a long story. Had two different divemasters, one was loose, and very open to exploring - the other somewhat rigid and unwavering - very tech oriented. Two very different styles. Sometimes the biggest impression one gets about an operation is who runs the dive. This reminds me, I should finish the trip report I started about 2 months ago. . . . . . . .

Bueno:

Bueno,

The divemasters that were such favorites at Aldora 6 to 7 years ago at Aldora have all moved on. Memo (Mendoza) left for awhile and returned a couple of years ago as a manager. Bill is the only divemaster of the old crew left, and works part-time now from what I hear...but of course I could be wrong there.

Roberto and his wife Michaela started their own shop three years ago, Liquid Blue. Jorge Martin went with them...so you get Jorge or Roberto as your divemasters/instructor and Michaela runs the reservations and manages the business. They offer the larger steel tanks (but you don't need DIN adapters), and very high level of customer service. They are very highly regarded here and on the other Cozumel scuba boards. www.liquidbluedivers.com

Oracio left Aldora about 4 or 5 years ago and started Living Underwater...did well for awhile, but is completely out of the picture now...don't know where he is. Living Underwater is now being run by Jeremy who does an excelllent job and provides the same excellent service. www.livingunderwater.com

Omar started his own deal as well and does private stuff and is more tech related. He travels alot with clients, so isn't always on the island.

I hope this info helps :)

That could very well be - I never used them until this year. The one divemaster that I liked went by Aristeo (hope that's right). He was very thorough on his predive, but not overly militant in the water. He kept a good eye on everybody, and would help look for critters under overhangs, along the sea floor, etc. When something unusual was found, he held position and motioned everybody over to have a look-see. The other guy just kind of drifted along, frog kicking, looking at his computer about every thirty seconds. My sons were in line behind him, with me next. I know for a fact we saw at least 10 times the animals that he did. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his attentiveness to safety, but he needs to loosen up just a bit and enjoy the dive. I think he may have been new at divemastering (is that a word?), and was just super cautious.

Back
Top Bottom