Package Deal or DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawrence914

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've been fortunate that I could live a stones throw from where I could dive. Now I'm stuck in Kansas, and haven't blown bubbles for almost 3 years. NOT ANYMORE! I've decided to go to Cozumel in August. :dazzler1:

Like most people, I'm not made of money. Depleting my rainy day funds so I can dive just isn't wise, so I'm trying to make the best possible decisions.

So, do I find a package deal that includes diving, or try to put something together myself? I'm looking for: safe, clean sheets, hot water (in a private bathroom), AC. A continental breakfast would be nice, as would walking distance to touristy-stuff.

Is it preferred to fly right into Cozumel or fly into Cancun and ferry across?

I want to make the most of my week. Suggestions from those who have BTDT?

thanks,
Lawrence

Lawrence914:
I've been fortunate that I could live a stones throw from where I could dive. Now I'm stuck in Kansas, and haven't blown bubbles for almost 3 years. NOT ANYMORE! I've decided to go to Cozumel in August. :dazzler1:

Like most people, I'm not made of money. Depleting my rainy day funds so I can dive just isn't wise, so I'm trying to make the best possible decisions.

So, do I find a package deal that includes diving, or try to put something together myself? I'm looking for: safe, clean sheets, hot water (in a private bathroom), AC. A continental breakfast would be nice, as would walking distance to touristy-stuff.

Is it preferred to fly right into Cozumel or fly into Cancun and ferry across?

I want to make the most of my week. Suggestions from those who have BTDT?

thanks,
Lawrence

I go to Cozumel about every three or four months if I can swing it.

You can get some good deals with the hotrel and air together from adventure tours.

email me if you want and I'll tell you how to to do for around $100 per day

I think you can do the best deal for yourself. There are quite a few nice, clean places right downtown (no cab fares) that go for under $50/night. Right off the top of my head I am thinking Bahia Suites, Casa Mexicana (free continental brkfst), and the Safari Inn. There are more, plus various B&B's. Also, I'd opt for flying directly in to Coz - it's one less thing to worry about and it's just so nice to land and know that you are THERE! For comparison, we flew from Detroit, RT, for $300/person (Funjet). Total cost for myself, wife, and our three teenagers with three of us diving for 3 days was just about $3500 for one week. And there was still things we could have done cheaper!

The place I stay, village tankah, is a very nice simple B&B with a courtyard in the La Ceiba area. The dive op is Roberta's Dive Eco Cozumel, AKA scubashack/blue bubble divers. I can't remember the exact price, but it's less than $100/day for room and a 2 tank dive. I'm sure she has week packages that are a little less money/day. I've been very happy with the dive op and the B&B.

Regarding flying directly to Cozumel vs Cancun, you have to factor about $20-$25 (if I remember) each way for bus and ferry, plus at least 2 hrs time if you fly to Cancun. I typically look for the best fare; unfortunately, it's usually to Cancun. One thing that people don't usually mention is that I've found the customs lines MUCH longer in Cancun; sometimes this can add an hour to your arrival time in Cozumel.

A couple of effective ways to save a few bucks are: 1)buy food at the local supermarket and 2) rent a bicycle for $7/day instead of taking cabs everywhere. Lot's of people will probably chime in here advising you that riding a bike in Cozumel is practically suicidal, but for some reason I feel pretty safe doing it. Maybe I'm delusional!

Try some of the discount air fare sites, CheapCaribbean.com, USAirwaysvacations.com, Orbits, expedia and travelocity. You can book your dives online from any of better dive operations in Coz. They all have package rates for several trips.
Some of the cheaper hotels near town are Meson San Miquel, Hacienda San Miguel. I stayed at Casa Mexicana which isn't expensive and It's one of the cleanest hotels I've seen in Coz (Spotless). They have a very good breakfast buffet that is included in the price of the room.
Say Hi if your there Aug 28-31. I'll be there with a group of four other Scubaboarders. We're diving with Christy from Blue XTsea for the week.

this is one of those things that your going to get a hundered different opinions on.

We've almost always booked the air/hotel package thru a charter like FunJet and booked diving seperatly.

For the past couple of years we've been diving with 'Dive with Martin', he has the best prices I've found on the island, cash only I think, we always pay cash and if you book enough days diving he'll give you a free video or free night dive. he's also collecting used prescrition glasses for his charity this year and with 2 pairs of glasses you get either a discount or a free night dive I'm not sure which one. see his website for details www.divewithmartin.com

Flying into Coz or Cancun.
You will find better fares into Cancun.
You will also find a lot of long lines for customs and check-in, hours of ground transportation, and extra money spent on Bus or cab fares, ferry tickets, food and drink waiting for the ferry, etc.
Flying into Coz is EZ.
Flying into Cancun is good if you want to spend some time in Cancun or PDC.

As far as package vs DIY. How badly do you need a vacation? Package deals are mindless and easy, but you sacrifice flexibility and adventure. I do a little of both. A flight with hotel package, and dive with Blue XT Sea, or which ever Dive Op you choose.

You can get some good packages this time of year, if you don't mind diving with the larger dive ops affiliated with the hotels. Island Dreams had some good specails in their newsletter last week (www.divetrip.com/idreamer.htm). Maduro and Caribbean Divers usually have specials too. The packages do not include air but they can make the arrangements for you if you want.

If you'd rather dive with one of the smaller ops, then check out what's offered from your area on air & hotel packages (FunJet, Apple Vacations, etc.) and book the diving yourself.

FWIW, I have done a week in Cozumel twice, and both times I arranged everything myself.
--------------------
Airfares:
Both times I traveled it was $150 - $200 cheaper to fly into Cancun, so I opted for the Bus-Ferry-Taxi routine to get to my hotel on the island. It adds about 1.5 - 2 hours to the total travel time, but it gave me more flexibility on arrival and departure times.

However, once while researching a trip that I did not take, the flights direct to Cozumel were cheaper on the particular dates that I was checking. Go figure. It is always worth checking.

I use CheapTickets.com, and they allow you to specifiy an airport, but to also check other airports within 80 miles, and that will cover both.

I live in San Jose California, so none of the FunJet things seem to work for me. I keep hearing about the great prices from Houston and Chicago, but I can never seem to find a deal as good from here. I guess I just need to keep going back until I get it "right".

---------------------------
Air-Land-Sea (Fly - Bus - Ferry - Taxi)
The air-land-sea route doesn't work for everyone. Both times I enjoyed the trip. The Bus was airconditioned, and the movies were subtitled, so it got me started on getting into the spanish language culture. My only complaints were that the curtains were closed (to keep it dark for the TV) so I didn't see much out the windows, and that the trip was not long enough to see the end of the movie!

The buses departed the airport at X.45 each hour, so I only had a brief wait (pure luck) each time. Walking the guantlet to get to the buses was not swell, but it was good practice for the area around the square in Cozumel (if you know what I mean - if not, you will)

The first time I did the trip I ended up on the slow diesel ferry with bad fumes. I believe it was the blue and yellow UltraMar ferry. I have always used the WaterJet since then, and it has been fine. (on the last trip, the UltraMar seemed just as fast, so it may be just one of their ships that was sub-par; not sure) YMMV.

There is a line of Taxis waiting for people unloading from the ferry. On my first visit, I got a petite young female taxi driver that couldn't heft my dive bag into the back of the cab, and she did not know where the hotel was, even after I told her and then showed her the address. Now that I understand the layout of the island, I cannot imagine why she had trouble. Doh!

One word of warning on Taxis, and I have read it here other times: Agree on a price, before you get in the cab. Once you are at your destination, you have a lot less negotiating power. Julie was awesome: Cabbie said 50, she said 30. Cabbie said 50, she handed him 30, and climbed in. Cabbie shrugged and got in and drove. (she had paid 30 before, so she knew it was reasonable)

------------------------
Hotel:
I have stayed at the Hotel Flamingo on both occasions. I went there the first time because I was meeting some people there. Bob had stayed there numerous times, so that was where we stayed. It was $39 a night off-season for a room with 2 double (Queen?) beds, regardless of the number of people. (That price can be found on their website with a little searching - remember that you are diving; they don't ask who you are diving with)

The Hotel itself is small, with about a dozen rooms. The owner is an american from the SF Bay Area. The water pressure is not great, and you sometimes have to wait a while for hot water, but I think that is fairly normal for many parts of town. There is no elevator, so the third floor is a pain. I prefer the second floor, and I always ask for a room with a Fridge!

They offer meals at the Hotel, and it was very good. It is not a big restaurant, but they will cook up meals for you on the spot. We have eaten breakfast and dinner there several times, and it was always very good. At lunch they will get the people from the place across the road to come over to take your order and to deliver food etc.

The part I liked the best was that I could walk to virtually everything. The Hotel is on Calle 6, so it is just a few blocks north of town, and less than a block from the water. There are a couple little "convenience stores" between the town center and the Hotel where I have bought water, ice cream, cookies, etc. It is a 5 minute walk (or less) to anything in the main town area; Casa Denis, Prima's etc. It is 3 minutes to Guido's or Cinco Soles (Pancho's). We did walk down to the TGI Friday's area once, but I preferred the older parts of town.

It was about 5-7 minutes to the dive shop each day, and then 2 minutes from the dive shop to the pier. I thought it was great. My buddy didn't like the walking, but he could have taken a cab! We looked at some other hotels closer to town, and might try something different the next time. (I would use Hotel Flamingo again in a heartbeat, but my buddy wanted something closer)

After a morning dive, I always wanted to stop and eat at one of the "economicas" in the vicinity, then return to the hotel to get cleaned up and get some rest. It works great in my opinion. To each his own.

----------------------
If Chuck can share how he does it all for $100 a day, I am interested in learning.

On my first trip (2003) I think that I spent around $1500 for everything for a week; about $550 for airfare, $360 for diving, $300 for Hotel, plus food and tips and lots of souvenirs.

On my second trip (2004) it was about the same because I split the room cost with my buddy, and I didn't buy so many souvenirs, but I did an extra 2 tank dive to Barracuda.

(I have the actual numbers at home)

Just some opinions for reference.

Wristshot

Okay... I've done LOTS of research over the last couple of days.

Looks like I can fly from DFW to Coz for a week for about 350 round trip with Funjet, if I'm willing to go by their flight schedule (Friday to Friday is good with me). Cool thing is the trip is a non-stop 2 hour flight, unlike Continental and some others that have 1 or more stops and take 6-8 hours.

Still checking into a particular package deal possibility, but lacking that, I'll need to find a hotel and dive outfit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom