Most Wanted Diver Found...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Yesterday afternoon, I personally spoke with/followed up with the owner of the dive operation the man was diving with. She was VERY responsive and very helpful. She said "we'll find him." :yelclap:

As I write this, I JUST received a call from the owner who has made positive ID, :yelclap: but the guy is leaving today.

She relayed his version of what happened to me and gave him my phone numbers and asked him to contact me. She spoke to him at 7:30 this morning, but I have yet to receive a call from him. She is going to see if she can track him down before they leave.

Of course his version is much different. I was not there, but I have the same version of the story from my divemaster, and five customers...who all relayed the story to me on different occasions. I should add that one of my customers actually gave me the full story BEFORE my divemaster simply because I saw him before she was back from the trip.

He does not deny that the seahorse was on his finger, but he claims that he was showing it to his buddy and it "jumped" to his finger. Hmmm...that's interesting! :lol2:

She also doesn't recall him having a "buddy" in site.

He claims she slapped him on the wrist and pushed him. She confirmed that this is true. She grabbed or slapped his wrist and she did shove him when he dropped the seahorse to push him out of the way.

He does not deny shooting the bird to my DM. Likewise, as I previously mentioned, she shot it back and wrote "A"hole on her slate. Not a great thing for her to have done, but can't say anyone else wouldn't have done the same.

He claims that when he spun around his tank hit my DM in the face, but it was not intentional. This is totally different than the version I got from everyone. She claims, as do my divers, that he actually kicked her with his fins...and that it was clearly intentional. He drew his knee to his chest and kicked her. She does not recall a tank ever hitting her in the face...only his fin.

If the "assault" part of HIS version is true, there is still no excuse for him touching the seahorse...and I have a hard time believing it "jumped" to his finger.

I will wait to hear from him. Perhaps he will contact me when he gets home...maybe he will e-mail me, and maybe he'll join in to tell his version...we'll have to wait and see. maybe he will remain silent. Watch for trip reports with a photo of a brown seahorse on a finger.

I'm willing to listen to what he has to say...but the fact remains that he should never have touched the seahorse...and he should not have taken an aggressive and defensive attitude to a Marine park guide simply doing her job.

So he was found, but it's too late to revoke his diving priveleges this time. I certainly hope if nothing else that he learned from this and understands how serious we are about protecting the reef and its inhabitants.

Take only pictures, leave only bubbles, keep only memories :)

Peace :wink:

That's the trouble...people will often tell a whole different story, if it's true or not is a whole different story....Keep us posted!

Christi:
He claims she slapped him on the wrist and pushed him. She confirmed that this is true. She grabbed or slapped his wrist and she did shove him when he dropped the seahorse to push him out of the way.

He does not deny shooting the bird to my DM. Likewise, as I previously mentioned, she shot it back and wrote "A"hole on her slate. Not a great thing for her to have done, but can't say anyone else wouldn't have done the same.

Peace :wink:

So we have divemasters grabbing, slapping and shoving divers underwater, divers coming back at them and all this is over a sea horse. The sea horse must have had a good laugh.

DennisS:
So we have divemasters grabbing, slapping and shoving divers underwater, divers coming back at them and all this is over a sea horse. The sea horse must have had a good laugh.

*HOPEFULLY* the seahorse is still alive :(

I think the comment about the seahorse "jumping" to his finger gives us a good idea the amount of embellishment being added to his account of the incident. I await your further accounts of his explaination before judgement.
BTW
Where can I learn how to get such control of sea creatures?
What is this guy, the Dr. Dolittle of the sea?

DennisS:

I agree it sounds ridiculous. The bottom line remains that we are in a protected marine park and as marine park guides we are obligated to prevent/stop anyone from touching or harassing the reefs or marine creatures.

Slapping his wrist and motioning him not to touch or to put it down in this case did not warrant his reaction in any case. She was doing her job. The manner in which she demonstrated the "push" was not a violent shove...it was more of putting a hand up to hold someone back.

I doubt I will hear from him...but miracles happen :)

DennisS:

If any one is doing something wrong tell them report them. It doe's not give you the right to assault them.
If anyone grabbed/slapped me they would get slapped back.

DennisS:

To be perfectly honest, my initial reaction was mostly in response to the part of the initial account where it was said that he grabbed a seahorse and swam off with it, like he expected to take it home as a pet. Seahorses have indeed been poached from out in front of Caribe Blu.

While I certainly don't in any way condone his handling of the seahorse, I have seen DM's touch morays, octopuses, toadfish, turtles, and other critters. It seems to me that the incident quickly escalated to where the seahorse wasn't really part of it any more.

The talk of turning off his air, while satisfying to think about, isn't realistic, as it would have put him in a life-threatening situation and whoever turned it off into a dire legal situation if he were to die as a result. Reprehensible though the mistreatment of the reef is, it is not an infraction that should incur the death penalty.

ggunn:
...The talk of turning off his air, while satisfying to think about, isn't realistic, as it would have put him in a life-threatening situation and whoever turned it off into a dire legal situation if he were to die as a result. Reprehensible though the mistreatment of the reef is, it is not an infraction that should incur the death penalty.

Of course not (re: death penalty). And you are right...turning off his air isn't realistic.

Unfortunately, there are some DM's out there that set bad examples...I wish I could say that wasn't true.

As I said yesterday...some may feel I am obsessed or a bit too anal about the reef preservation...well, I am and I'm not ashamed of that. While people touching/harrassing the reef and marine life is only one small piece, it is one part that we as divers can control by educating.

Christi:
Of course not (re: death penalty). And you are right...turning off his air isn't realistic.

But 'fess up, it was fun to think about, though, wasn't it? ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom