I have also had it with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GPdiver

Reaction score
Not all but most with a Camera in Cozumel.

With close to 250 logged dives on Cozumel I have witnessed more reef damage and creature disturbance of over zelous people with camera's.

Its like puting on a helmut and droping the green flag. seemingly good divers and nice people become something different once the reg goes in and the mask goes down with camera in hand.

I agree. People get so consumed with "the perfect shot", that they lose awareness of their bodies, fins, etc. The current takes them crashing through coral, sponges, life.
I have witnessed this too many times. I wish that I had a video camera to film them taking a nice shot and obliviously destroying the reef.

Not all people that do underwater photography are like that (as you said!). My husband and I both have underwater cameras. However, when we go into the water and see great things the camera is NOT number one in our brains. We both have great respect for the reefs and the fish. We've never tried to touch a fish and we stay away from the coral/reef. We've even left our cameras on the boat on days when the current is really ripping. When we do night dives, one of us always leaves our camera behind so that we can be helpful to the other with taking shots safely in the dark.

HOWEVER....I know that this is not the norm with many people with cameras underwater! On our last trip we had a diver on the boat with a camera that just could have cared less if anyone else got to see the critters or if she scared them away...she kicked other divers trying to hurry to get in close to get the perfect shot, kicked coral, etc.

Just wanted to stand up for myself and say we aren't all jerks in the water. It's such a shame when someone with a camera gives the rest of us a bad name!

Michelle & Rick Hart

It really sucks for those of us who are divers first and photographers second that some people think and act like the picture is the only thing that matters.

GPdiver:

With close to 250 logged dives on Cozumel I have witnessed more reef damage and creature disturbance of over zelous people with camera's.

Its like puting on a helmut and droping the green flag. seemingly good divers and nice people become something different once the reg goes in and the mask goes down with camera in hand.

Completely agree DPdiver. My last trip to Coz in May we had a women the first three days on our boat with a camera who thought everything that people stopped to look at was an invitation for her to swoop in, crash into you and take a picture. I dive with a camera about 1/3 of the time and she actually did the same thing to me when I was trying to take pictures. She was running into everything, grabbing onto the reef and kicking anything within reaching distance. It was quite a sight.

5615mike:
Completely agree DPdiver. My last trip to Coz in May we had a women the first three days on our boat with a camera who thought everything that people stopped to look at was an invitation for her to swoop in, crash into you and take a picture. I dive with a camera about 1/3 of the time and she actually did the same thing to me when I was trying to take pictures. She was running into everything, grabbing onto the reef and kicking anything within reaching distance. It was quite a sight.

Um, I agree.

But yes, I agree that folks with cameras can be a pain, I once saw a guy who was second of six in line in a swimthrough stop to take a picture right at the end of it, You can imagine what happened back in the swimthrough.

GPdiver:

There is simply, not an image in the world that is worth damaging the reef or harassing the marine life!!!
I make my living taking u/w images, and have on MANY occaisions been u/w, and actually taken a camera out of a students hands because they forget the golden rule of being an underwater imager (we have to include videography in here too!)
My Golden Rule for being an Underwater Imager-
You are a:
Diver first (safety & great bouyancy),
marine conservationist second,
and photographer or videographer LAST!!!!!!!!!!!

Some photographers and some non-photographers are idiots. Please do not paint all u/w photogs with the same brush.

[I would suggest that more damage to the reefs is done by beginning divers than the few inconsiderate, SOB photographers. I've often seen newbies "rain" onto the reef - "meet on the bottom?" - grabbing any and everything as they drift, out of control, in large seemingly unsuperivsed herds. We stopped diving Paso del Cedral several years ago because of all the damage.]

I do not condone any contact with the fragile marine environment. I firmly believe we should take only memories/pictures and leave only bubbles. If you see inappropriate behavior, make some constructive remarks to the diver about their acts. Hopefully, many are unaware of their impact and will change their ways. Of course, you will also find that the world is filled with idiots - not all of them are photographers.

How about outlawing the use of any exposure protection on the extremities for divers with cameras. Let the fire coral and other friendly things regulate their behavior. Shorties should provide enough thermal protection. Anybody making 5 or 7 mm shorties?

Accidents are going to happen, even with the most conscietious photographers and non-photographers. Let the environment help minimize the occurances.

I think to say MOST is unfair! My camera and video buddies are ALL very very respectful of the reef and their fellow divers. If we're diving with a group, my husband and I usually stay at the back and we don't move in to get close for a photo until the divers in our group have all had a chance to take a look and starting to move on. We let the DM know our routine ahead of time. If it's a very challenging dive, rough conditions or a dive where it's important for the group to stay close together then the cameras don't come. No big deal.

We've also taken bouyancy clinics and sessions with pro's for tips and techniques to safely get in close and out again without the risk of damage. And if we can't get in an optimal position safely then there will be other pics.

There is one place we've dived with for several years (non-Coz) that has a rule of no cameras or video your first day with them if it's your first time with them. Doesn't matter what certs you may have. If the DM sees the diver doesn't have great bouyancy or has any issues without the camera, they'll have someone spend the time to give pointers or even a full clinic. It was always done very casually and gets more then just the camera person or people involved. I never saw anyone get offended or complain. I'd really like to see more of this type of thing everywhere. Some divers want to capture every minute and I sincerely think that like with other diving skills, they don't even realize what they have to learn.

Camera or no camera, there are alot of idiots diving. I've seen fish punched, huge elkhorns landed on and broken, sponges touched, lobsters wrestled, nurse sharks petted, squid provoked to shoot ink, puffers poked so they'd puff.... and only one time have I seen it be a photographer. The certification programs need to do more to stress reef and diver etiquette.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom