Melia/Dive ops/Sept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott101

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you that have stayed at the Melia could pass on your "getting to the boats" advice. I have read anywhere between 5 and 11 dollars one way to get to town, walking a few miles south to the Playa Azul, etc.

I have a short list of operations that I am gonna use but since I have never stayed that far North, I need some help.

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

PS....What is up with the "crocs" that keep you from swimming at night?

I read a trip report somewhere that there were saltwater crocs that came over to check out party from a near by lagoon. Figured I would ask the all knowing bunch here before I lost a toe or something doing a night shore snorkel.....

"The ocean in front of the hotel was nasty, never swam in it once. We went north to the next hotel, which was very clear and saw many fish while snorkeling. * Beware, do not swim in the ocean in the evening...there are salt water crocs or alligators (I get confused on which is which) that come out in the evening from a nearby lagoon. My boyfriend saw the red beady eyes. The hotel didn't mention this, but a hotel worker and another guest walked down the beach with my boyfriend and a flashlight in search of one and there it was."

or....

"SALT WATER CROCODILES!!! Yes, you read right! There come crocs, right in front of the hotel, only at night though (for thermoregulating reasons. The croc I swam with (11pm - I didn't know it was there until some very friendly guys saw him in the water and called me back to the shore - Thank you guys!) wasn't an adult; about 6 feet long even though later on a second one showed up and this one was bigger, 8-9 feet. My problem wasn't the crocodile per-se but the hotel management attitude: I learned that they knew about it but they didn't have any sign like 'Don't swim at night' nor they wanted to place one so be aware!!! Never read in any review about these animals swimming in the coastal waters of Cozumel so this was a big surprise for me and even bigger for my wife. She didn't go in the ocean more than knee height until we left. We saw the crocs 4 out of 7 nights so it wasn't an isolated incident."

Just wondering....not that I am afraid to swim with them. Heck, I watch the croc hunter on TV and he doesn't seem to have a problem.

Scott,
Only been to Coz once, but we were at the Melia, June 10-20. (I posted some of this info elsewhere on the board)
We were at Melia because that was one of the properties we could trade to. Was very happy with them.
Pre trip research revealed Scuba Du picked up nearby, as you said, at Playa Azul. It's only a 10 minute (or less) walk from the Melia. Was actually a nice way to start your day by getting stretched out a bit.
Enjoy!

Scott101:
I was wondering if any of you that have stayed at the Melia could pass on your "getting to the boats" advice. I have read anywhere between 5 and 11 dollars one way to get to town, walking a few miles south to the Playa Azul, etc.

I have a short list of operations that I am gonna use but since I have never stayed that far North, I need some help.

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

PS....What is up with the "crocs" that keep you from swimming at night?

Scott,

the cab fare from the Melia to the downtown pier (if your operation of choice picks up there) should be a base rate of right at $6, that is for 2 people. If you have more, there is a 10 pesos per person charge for each additioanl person.

If you have to taxi all the way to the Caletta from Melia, you could be looking at $20+

It is true that there are salt water crocs in the northern end. Much of that area is natural lagoon area. They have been known to come up on the beach in the evenings, so I do not advise swimming in the ocean at night from the northern hotels.

Have fun!

Thanks Christy.

$20 plus to the Caleta??? Ouch. I have been in contact with another dive op also ran by a nice lady :) that is at the marina but that is about 2X what she thought the fare would be.

Grrrrr.....and here we thought we were lucky because of the 3 places we could have stayed, the Melia was the only on still standing.......grrrrrrrrrrr

Scott101:
Thanks Christy.

$20 plus to the Caleta??? Ouch. I have been in contact with another dive op also ran by a nice lady :) that is at the marina but that is about 2X what she thought the fare would be.

Grrrrr.....and here we thought we were lucky because of the 3 places we could have stayed, the Melia was the only on still standing.......grrrrrrrrrrr

I had some guests that were at the Melia, of course there were four of them...we had to have them come to the Caletta because of a norte, so we had to take them out on a big boat from the marina. The taxi was $18 for them. Sounded high to me, I questioned the taxi driver and that's what the fare was.

I'll double check for you...but getting to Caletta will be at least a $20 round trip if not more.

Thanks a bunch Christi. If it is that much, that would double my already outrageous taxi budget. I might have to re-think this plan a little bit. I tell ya, diving plus nitrox plus a taxi makes diving almost a champagne luxury on a beer budget.

By the way, where do you pick up? <evil grin>

From Melia to Caletta it is $90 pesos ($9 USD) each way for two people.
For each person extra, it is $10 pesos for EACH zone...you are crossing two zones, so each person over two would be an additional $20 pesos each way.

If you CALL a taxi from the hotel or caletta rather than flagging one down, it is an additional $20 pesos as well.

So bottom lne, you are looking at a minimum of $18 per day round trip.

Melia to Centro (downtown) is $45 pesos for two people, and from downtown to Caletta is $45 pesos for two people.

Ops that pick up south of town, downtown or closer in than the caletta are:

Ocean tours (onsite at Cozemelino)
Pepe Scuba (onsite at Coral Princess)
Deep Blue (downtown)
Blue XT~Sea (downtown)
Aqua Safari (downtown)
Aldora (downtown)
Dive Paradise (Barracuda or Hotel Coz)
Liquid Blue (Hotel Cozumel)
Blue Angel ( Caribe Blue hotel)
Papa Hogs (Villa Blanca/Papa Hogs pier)
Del mar Aquatics (Hotel Casa del Mar)
Scuba Shack/Blue Bubble (Casa del Mar area/La Ceiba)
Dive with Martin (Hotel Cozumel)

There may be others, but those are the ones I can think of right now. These will eliminate your taxi fare or cut it in half.

You may also consider renting a car (NOT a scooter) if you are set on your dive op.

Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom