Cozumel Hurricane - Here is how to help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As the storm moved closer to Cozumel earlier this week, we started to make preparations in advance. I've been working with Christi from Blue XT Sea to provide an avenue for Divers helping divers on Cozumel. Here is a website that we've developed to provide updates and to help if you want to donate funds to the divemasters, boat captains and dive workers.

These guys/gals, who many of us have dove, laughed and been friends with, now need our help.

http://www.cozumelrelief.com

I generally prefer that we use publicly known organizations like the red cross simply because we _know_ they are reputable. As for this one, I can't see anything that makes me think it's authenticate although it could very well be an individual just trying to help.

collecting money is not the hard part.

translating it into real help for people requires an organization with the proper
contacts and/or access to infrastucture

so... i would second Ted and help out through an established organization such
as the Red Cross

I know John and he set this up with Christi from Blue XT Sea as a grass roots thing simply for divers to help the diving community on Cozumel (i.e. divemasters, boat captains, etc). No profit will be made from this effort. All proceeds will be distributed to help people we've all dived with who've had financial damage from the hurricane.

There's a place on the website to ask questions if you have them...feel free to e-mail John and he'll answer your questions regarding this effort. Of course, if you're uncomfortable with the concept of a grass-roots effort, he's also included a link to the Mexican Red Cross for a more traditional, wide-spread effort. Of course, no one would think poorly of anyone who donated to *any* relief effort, through whatever means they chose.

(For the record, I made a PayPal contribution and according to PayPal, it goes to a special fund called CozumelRelief that Christi set up....since she's a good friend and I trust her implicitly to distrubute the funds, I have no personal doubts about donating to this fund.)

Tech Admin:
I generally prefer that we use publicly known organizations like the red cross simply because we _know_ they are reputable. As for this one, I can't see anything that makes me think it's authenticate although it could very well be an individual just trying to help.

I completely understand and that is exactly why we included the link to the Red Cross of Mexico. Please understand this is a grassroots effort with Christi of Blue XT Sea that has been arranged when we knew the storm was close. Not everyone will be confortable with the paypal option so please use the Red Cross link. With the storm hitting 3 major points of entry into their country, your donation to them will be spread to way more than just the dive industry of Cozumel. The paypal option is a limited focused effort of Divers Helping Divers on Cozumel.

Johnoly

this is good stuff you are doing, guys... sorry if i came across as saying
that it isn't

i already gave through the Red Cross, simply because i think they have a better
way than most to spread the donations to where they are most needed and all

thank you for trying to help

CBulla:
Is this a not for profit organization??

Just a grass roots effort of Divers helping divers. We don't have a 501C tax break or anything even close to that. There is no profit, and all expenses in setting up the site have been donated by myself and other divers that care and wanted a way to help.

If Christi is a part of this, it has my vote. Is there a Paypal account?

FWIW, I know John and Christi personally and would be comfortable sending either of them any amount of money. Thankfully they thought ahead of time and set the donation particulars in motion.

Dig deep and donate all you can, it will be greatly appreciated.

NetDoc....there's a PayPal button on the 'Purpose' page at http://www.cozumelrelief.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom