Just a quick note to say we're ok!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Still no power at hme or office, but a gracious friend who got her power back today is letting me bum her internet for a few minutes.

Yesterday was a bad day for us all and looking at the initial damage was traumatic, but today everyone was in much better spirits and working hard to get things ready to get back to work.

Our damage did not come close to the damage Cayman suffered last year with Ivan, mainly due to the fact that most of our buildings are built of cement and rebar (sp?) AND because Emily didn't bring all that much rain with her, so flooding was minimal and isolated...we were very, very blessed.

There were no loss of lives (that I know of), our homes are still standing, all of the boats are ok, and the clean-up effort has been absolutely amazing!

Many hotels and beach clubs were destroyed, which will put alot of people out of work for awhile, but things will be rebuilt as quickly as possible.

Electricity is all that some of us are waiting for to get back to work. Supposedly, the entire island will be back on by Monday or tuesday.

We did a staff dive today, and it wasn't as bad as I had expected. Visibility is a little down, but the current is moving swift. Vis will be cleared up in a few more days.

The orange seahorse is still hanging on at Tormentos, but we couldn't find the other ones, mainly because the current was so strong.

Thanks to everyone for their prayers and thoughts! Although it was a very scary thing to go through, Emily did have some mercy on us and we will be back to work by the end of the week :)

I drove around the island and took many photos, so I'll post a full report within the next few days!

My priority right now is to contact those clients who have upcoming trips. Basic message is that "the pool is open." Hotels may have to be changed, but I'll help hwever I can in that respect.

Thanks again to everyone!!!!

Glad to hear you’re OK, wish I could loan you my generator, and I hope the island isn’t out of Oreos.

Glad to hear all is not lost, and there is hope that all will be right with time.

Being from Cali, I have never experienced a hurricane, just a handful of earthquakes. But from watching the news coverage and the movie twister, it appears to be very scary. Especially on an island, where you cant really run to a different location.

I'm relieved to hear that you and everyone on the island made it okay. Thanks for all the updates.

Glad to hear the news, especially to "no loss of life"! :thumb: I went through Andrew so I have a pretty good idea of the mess you're facing, my thoughts are with you as you go through the recovery time.

Hola Christi! Glad to hear things are well.

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been through 2 big one's myself, actually rode hurricane Iwa out in a ship in Hawaii back in the early '80s. Waikiki beach moved a couple of blocks inland on that one, unbeliveable! Hope the clean up goes quickly.

If it make you feel any better the A/C is out at my office today and with the heat index it's 98 and humid here in Dallas today. with not ocean to jump in and cool off!!!

Will try and head down and pump some bucks into the economy as soon as we can!

Back
Top Bottom