Recovery from Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
It may be good to have a thread devoted to reports on the recovery from Emily, not just the approach which is now history. I have started a log of this process at our web page www.aldora.com for those who are interested, but this board may be easier. I will start it off.

As of 10 am Cozumel time on July 20th:

The storm impact was not nearly as bad as it might have been. We believe that was so because there was no tidal surge (at least in Cozumel) and the big winds persisted only for a short time. Waves seem to have not been much of a factor, at least not nearly as much as the wind.

The Aldora boats were ready to go diving less than 12 hours after the storm but the civil authorities kept the port closed so as to insure focus on cleanup. We did get the boats in the water on Tuesday the 19th at noon and had some very happy divers. We went no further south than Palancar Bricks and found the visibility to be poor by Cozumel standards but even by our second dive it was improving. On Wednesay the preliminary observation is that the vis is back to normal.

As for damage to the reefs, we found very little deeper than 30 feet, but some of the coral head tops had significant damage to finger coral and lettuce coral. The very good news is that there seemed to be almost no extraordinary sand deposits on the coral.

On land, it seems that the further south or east you went the worse the damage. Given that the eye wall hit Punta Sur that only stands to reason. On the south end on the eastside (other side) we found the Paradise Beach Cafe (aka Raga's) to be gone. Not dmaged...gone! The eastside road was broken and impassable beyong there. We were not able to get there but we understand that the Iberostar will not be reopened for at least 3 months and that probably means next year. We suspect that adjacent hotels like the Allegro and Occidental may have the same situation but don't know for sure at this time. Further north the day beaches where we do our surface intervals fared slightly better. Nachi Cocom and Mr. Sancho's had damage but should be back operating very soon. Play Mia (formerly Playa Sol, with its huge palapa is gone and suffered extensive damage and may be out of operation for quite some time. Nearby San Francisco Beach suffered damage as well but will be operating soon.

Interestingly, the new giant cruise ship pier and facilities at Puerta Maya was severly damaged by wind with its giant palapa now residing somewhere west of Playa Del Carmen. In town many of the newly planted palm trees on the main street has fallen but it may not be too big a deal to replant them.

Electricity is still spotty but the electric company says all areas should be re powered by Thursday.

As best we know there were no boats lost ,nor even any minor injuries. As of now the island is operating and all we are waiting on is visitors.

It is hoped that as others come on line with the internet they could add more complete information here.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thank you very much Dave for all the info/// Do you know if power has beed restored to the Hotel Casa Del mar yet> i know they are open and cant wait to come back and feel the wonderfill Coz water again

I have not much more to add except to confirm what I know about hotel openings/closings.

Allegro, Occidental Grand, and Reef Club will not be accepting new visitors until further notice. Perhaps a week or two, possibly up to a month.

Presidente and Fiesta Americana will be accepting new guests as soon as power is restored. I hope that it as they say, everyone by tomorrow. At least the hotel zones and downtown I hope. I will be surprised if all residential areas are back on by tomorrow.

La Ceiba, Casa del Mar, Hotel Cozumel, downtown hotels and norhern hotels are all fine and accepting guests. The only exception I know of here is the Cozemelino, they will begin accepting guests again on Friday.

I confirm what Dave said regarding the reefs as well. We did a staff dive yesterday and past 30 or 40 feet we didn't note any damage on Palancar (Caves through Gardens). Yucab and Tormentos had a very fast current which is a good thing. Visibility was notably better here, but there was debris in the ocean (leaves, tree branches, and other vegetation, but nothing that cannot be cleaned up. Marine life was actually very good at Yucab and Tormentos, including an octpus, several toadfish, several eel, balloonfish, spotted drum, scorpionfish, schooling wrasse, barjack, barracuda, etc. We plan to do another staff dive this afternoon to check out Cedral and Santa Rosa and the shallower reefs like Paradise. I exect visibility will be significantly better today.

We were very lucky that the storm eased up a little before hitting us and that the strongest winds only lasted for a few hours. I am still amazed that it wasn't worse. God had mercy on our little island.

So as Dave said, come on down, pool is open :)

BTW: To those of you who have graciously donated to the relief fund that Johnoly set up, THANK YOU! I will be distributing those funds as soon as I can access them, which will hopefully be by the end of the week. If you donated or if you do donate, please note in the comment section who you dive with. If you have already donated, please send an e-mail to cozumelrelief@yahoo.com with this information. I will check with those dive shops/divemasters/captains first to see what their needs are and this will give me a good starting point. There are several who are out of work now for awhile due to the hotel closings (Dive Palancar, Sand Dollar, Dressel) and of course all of the thers who have been out of work for days and will be for several days to come. These donations will help them financially so they can buy food and necessities for thier families.

I will provide a full accounting to all donors after all has been distributed.

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for posting post-emily messages... I turn to this website first for up date information about all topics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom