Junior Divers: Where is the best place to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacoz22

Contributor
Reaction score
My grandson will be 10 on August 2, he has been taking his SSI certification and has passed all the pool work and his written test ( he got a 96 on his test) as soon as he is 10 he will be doing his open water. Shortly after that we want to take him somewhere that is safe and where he can see lots and lots of Marine life. Any suggestions??? Kathy in Texas

Well Kathy, you posted this in the Cozumel forum, so is that where you are looking to take him? Cozumel is good, you just will be a little more limited in the sites you visit, as many are too deep for a 10 year old.

Another suggestion is the Key Largo area. There are lots of different reefs in the 40 foot and shallower range. They have a lot of life on them and the depths are good for a 10 year old newbie. You may want to get him some local dives in lakes or ponds near you before you go to make sure he has his bouyancy down. The reefs in the Keys are nice but there is some current and surge and its good to have your bouyancy down pretty well so you aren't bouncing around too much. IMO.

I'm sure you will get some other recommendations as well. Good luck to him in his training.

Safe Diving to you both!

Julie

As impressive as the diving is in Cozumel, I would suggest Grand Cayman as the place to take your grandson for his first dives. The reason I'm suggesting GCM is that compared to Cozumel, GCM has no current to consider when diving. There is also the Stingray City dive, which would be a very memorable dive for him and it is only 15 ft deep.

I'm sure I'll be in the minority in recommending somewhere other than Cozumel, but it wouldn't hurt you to have other options.

Juls64:
Well Kathy, you posted this in the Cozumel forum, so is that where you are looking to take him? Cozumel is good, you just will be a little more limited in the sites you visit, as many are too deep for a 10 year old.

Another suggestion is the Key Largo area. There are lots of different reefs in the 40 foot and shallower range. They have a lot of life on them and the depths are good for a 10 year old newbie. You may want to get him some local dives in lakes or ponds near you before you go to make sure he has his bouyancy down. The reefs in the Keys are nice but there is some current and surge and its good to have your bouyancy down pretty well so you aren't bouncing around too much. IMO.

I'm sure you will get some other recommendations as well. Good luck to him in his training.

Safe Diving to you both!

Julie
Thanks Julie, We love Cozumel and really do want to take him there but you might be right we would be limited in where we take him. Kathy

Julie your suggestion of Key Largo might be a good idea. Any suggestions on where to stay? Do they have a airport there? I dont mean a major airport a small one will do. Kathy

diveborg:
As impressive as the diving is in Cozumel, I would suggest Grand Cayman as the place to take your grandson for his first dives. The reason I'm suggesting GCM is that compared to Cozumel, GCM has no current to consider when diving. There is also the Stingray City dive, which would be a very memorable dive for him and it is only 15 ft deep.

I'm sure I'll be in the minority in recommending somewhere other than Cozumel, but it wouldn't hurt you to have other options.
Stingray City would be a fantastic dive for him I didnt even think about that. We will be doing some lake diving but the vis isnt very good and I really want to take him somewhere there is alot of Marine life not just stupid ole lake fish LOL Kathy

scubacoz22:
Julie your suggestion of Key Largo might be a good idea. Any suggestions on where to stay? Do they have a airport there? I dont mean a major airport a small one will do. Kathy

Key Largo would be a great place to take a youngster for shallow diving. Molasses Reef, French Reef, Christ of the Abyss, and even the Benwood wreck are
shallow and great beginner dives.

There are several great places to stay in Key Largo. Many independents and chain hotels. The Marriott and Holiday Inn have dive boats located "on site" as do some
of the independents.

For commercial air traffic (Delta, American, etc), most people fly into Miami or Ft Lauderdale and rent a car and drive down. If you are asking about a smaller airport
to fly a private plane into in Key Largo, there is the "Ocean Reef Club" Airport,
but it's listed as private. You'd have to check with them about landing permissions.
Otherwise your choices are Homstead, several in Miami, or Marathon.

scubacoz22:
My grandson will be 10 on August 2, he has been taking his SSI certification and has passed all the pool work and his written test ( he got a 96 on his test) as soon as he is 10 he will be doing his open water. Shortly after that we want to take him somewhere that is safe and where he can see lots and lots of Marine life. Any suggestions??? Kathy in Texas

I'm probably taking an unpopular position here, but i faced the same dilemma 2 years ago. My son was 10 and freshly certified, and my daughter was 13.

We went to Cancun and had some of the best dives I've ever had, and perfect for new divers. Not much current and great viz.

The first dives each day were 60' or less, and bottom time approaching an hour.
We saw shark, eels, octupus, barracuda and turtles on all 6 dives.

The operation was great, and above all SAFE.

The kids have been to Florida and Cozumel diving since, but Cancun worked perfectly for me.

If ypu're interested, the dive operation was the one in Cancun beneath the Huhe Mexican flag on the harbor..

Good luck, David

I agree. The diving around Playa del Carmen, Puerto Aventuras, Puerto Morelos, and Akumal, is mellow, not too deep, and there is plenty to see. Very slow drift dives, and always over the seafloor....no abyss.
There are plenty of things for a boy to do while NOT diving as well. Xcaret, Tulum, and Coba, snorkeling in the Ocean and Cenotes, jet skis, 4x4 tours, etc.
I don't think that it is a good idea to go to Coz! Too deep, too much current, too much to think about. :thinkingo

If you can afford it Bonaire is great for beginner. 90% of the diving is shore diving. there is a small reef in 30' of water only 50' from shore by Buddy dive resort. Makes a great first night dive. Then there is the downtown pier also a great night dive in shallow water. Lots of fish and more soft corals than Coz.
I would start in Bonaire, then Cayman, then Cozumel, if you want to progress to full dive cert. at age 12.
Its also below the hurricane belt so its good this time of year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom