Cozumel and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tigerdiver

Reaction score
Being new and all this may be a stupid question but you don't know until you ask. Do most dive operators offer Nitrox or are there only a certain few? If just a few, can anyone provide some info. Thanks.

Hi tigerdiver,

Nitrox is not yet commonly dived on Coz.

Coz has a central fill facility from which most dive ops get their gas. It pumps Nitrox, but currently is limited in the amount it can generate. I believe that they make only EAN32.

Let your selected op know you want Nitrox in advance of your diving so that they can try to make arrangements. You should do this when you make your initial reservations, and then send a reminder shortly before you are to arrive in Coz. It's anywhere from about $9 to $15 a cylinder depending on dive op & cylinder size.

If you experience any difficulty, you can always go with Nitrox Solutions, an IANTD shop with their own membrane system. They of course can produce EAN with a wide range of percentages of 02.

Do be aware that some of the more advanced sites on Coz can push the MODs for Nitrox, so you may not want it on all dives.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

That's what I was looking for. I will be sure to mention it when I make my reservations. The fill facility will be fine since 32% is fairly standard and I will dive air if depth becomes an issue. I won't know until I talk to some more people but I don't PLAN on going greater than 100 fsw.

You may want to take your analyzer with you. We've not had trouble getting Nitrox with some advanced planning but the mixes vary. Not only should you always analyze your own tanks before breathing it, I've had tanks marked 32% actually analyze out to 34%+. That can make a big difference in your MOD. A simple O2 Stick packs easily and works well on the boat.

FWIW, I did what Doc suggested. I ordered Nitrox in advance for my dives. Since the first dive is typically the deeper dive, I used air to avoid MOD concerns and then used EAN32 for the second dive. Since we were there for 5 day's diving it worked out fine.
As dee suggested, always check my fill. What I received was within .1 for every tank of EAN32.

The ops n Coz are pretty careful with the fills they dispense. If they put out bad gas, the economic impact as a result would be devestating.

Just my $.03 on a Friday afternoon with no prospects of getting wet for a couple of weeks.

That's depressing.

DSAO!

Larry

Thanks everyone for the great input. Everytime I get new information like this I feel very fortunate to have such a vast resource (experienced divers from all over) to help out a newbie to this awesome sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom