Ideas on how to organize a relief effort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'd like to help out with food/water/money etc. but I have know idea of how to organize a relief effort. Anybody have ideas on how get things down there?

The best way would be to get in touch with the International Red Cross. They are usually the first responders to disasters and will have a list of things that are needed and what kind of volunteers are needed as well.

Susan

I found this statement on the American Red Cross site:

A Note Regarding International Disaster Welfare Inquiries

Inquiries regarding non-U.S. citizens in areas of Central America affected by Hurricane Wilma (a.k.a. International Disaster Welfare Inquiries) are not being accepted at this time. The affected national Red Cross societies are fully engaged in relief activities and have not yet indicated their capacity to accept these inquiries. The American Red Cross will provide updates as they become available.

Maybe when Christi has time to post she can advise what to give to whom. It's sad that no agency has established a way we can donate through credit card or paypal.

Take a look at the link to Cruz Roja on the cozumelmycozumel.com home page: http://cozumelmycozumel.com/

It seems like a more direct route.

You can contact Deb directly with questions. (She has posted this elsewhere...)

Thanks, Moodiejeff.

As far as I can tell, they are only accepting bank transfers to:

The Mexican Red Cross I.A.P.
Bancomer No. 0147592957
Office 0032 DF Palms
Interbank Clabe: 012180001475929571

I didn't mean the american red cross although for Welfare inquires the communications center has to be set up that take a bit. I do volunteer and do that with the American red cross when I can and they have not asked for volunteers for that yet. The international red cross is a different arm of the organization. Although the website only has a report right now I am sure they will be able to answer questions as well.

http://www.ifrc.org/

Susan

From Royal Caribbean's site:
UPDATE - Enchantment of the Seas - The Tuesday, October 25, sailing of Enchantment of the Seas - originally scheduled to depart on Monday, October 24 - is now cancelled. The ship will now be used to bring humanitarian relief supplies to the victims of Hurricane Wilma in Mexico. Enchantment of the seas will resume its normal sailings on Saturday, October 28, departing from Port Everglades.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom