Time to cancel Coz trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Due to arrive in Coz Nov 5th.

60 hours of steady hurricane winds and constant rain, of Biblical proportions, on Cozumel make me think it is foolish and potentially unhealthy to make my dive trip there in less than 2 weeks. No hotel will be undamaged, no dive boats, no fresh water, no fresh food, no ac and massive clean ups. I think I would be in the way too. I'm told the airport might not be open and the major attention will go to the mainland, to Cancun. The very least is that I should postpone it a month, or until Spring.

Any thoughts, fellow divers?

Hi PilotFish,

We, too, have our trip already booked. We are supposed to be arriving on November 12th and staying until the 19th. We are supposed to be staying at Cozumel Palace and diving with Christi / BlueXTSea.

It's still too soon to tell whether the airport, the hotel, and the dive op will be operational.

I don't think anyone will be able to tell you whether or not to cancel your plans. I think you are just going to have to wait a few days to see how things progress.

Right now, though, I think that more thoughts will be focussed on the people of Cozumel than people's vacation plans....as it should be.

After Emily (and there is no comparison with Wilma), Cozumel was back up and running within a week. Cozumel depends on tourism and they will do everything in their power to get things back up and running as quickly as possible. I think that once power is restored things will move quickly.

As for cancelling your plans...wait a day or two. See what happens. Your airline may cancel your flight anyways...your hotel may be damaged...your dive op may not be operational. I think we'll hear a lot more on Monday and Tuesday.

Michelle

Your speculations at this point could very well be on target. But, if possible, wait a few days to see what's really up? After you contact your dive op and lodging contacts, then make your next step. This way, if you need to delay, you would know how far out to reschedule. If you can't contact anyone, and you need to make a decision, then the next step would be to make your best guess as to when to reschedule. It is understandable that with your trip only 2 weeks out, you are in a time crunch. Just a thought. Sue

pilot fish:
Due to arrive in Coz Nov 5th.

60 hours of steady hurricane winds and constant rain, of Biblical proportions, on Cozumel make me think it is foolish and potentially unhealthy to make my dive trip there in less than 2 weeks. No hotel will be undamaged, no dive boats, no fresh water, no fresh food, no ac and massive clean ups. I think I would be in the way too. I'm told the airport might not be open and the major attention will go to the mainland, to Cancun. The very least is that I should postpone it a month, or until Spring.

Any thoughts, fellow divers?

Just one. Why don't you wait a couple of days before you worry about this? Anything that you hear in the very near term will be full of speculation and misinformation. Granted, things don't look good for all the points you mention, but nobody knows anything for sure right now. I don't mean to be critical, and my vacations are important to me, too, but you have asked us several times what you should do about your vacation. You know as much as the rest of us as to what Cozumel will be like in two weeks, which right now is not much. Personally, I'm a bit more worried at the moment whether some friends of mine survived the storm.

d56nut:
Hi PilotFish,

We, too, have our trip already booked. We are supposed to be arriving on November 12th and staying until the 19th. We are supposed to be staying at Cozumel Palace and diving with Christi / BlueXTSea.

It's still too soon to tell whether the airport, the hotel, and the dive op will be operational.

I don't think anyone will be able to tell you whether or not to cancel your plans. I think you are just going to have to wait a few days to see how things progress.

Right now, though, I think that more thoughts will be focussed on the people of Cozumel than people's vacation plans....as it should be.

After Emily (and there is no comparison with Wilma), Cozumel was back up and running within a week. Cozumel depends on tourism and they will do everything in their power to get things back up and running as quickly as possible. I think that once power is restored things will move quickly.

As for cancelling your plans...wait a day or two. See what happens. Your airline may cancel your flight anyways...your hotel may be damaged...your dive op may not be operational. I think we'll hear a lot more on Monday and Tuesday.

Michelle

That's the hotel and dive op I'm using too. I have an email in to my agent to see what my options are but, at this point , I think it's foolish to think about going to Coz in less than two weeks. You have a better shot on the 19th, almost three weeks after me. If I were going on the 19th I'd be less concerned.

Sue Sue:
Your speculations at this point could very well be on target. But, if possible, wait a few days to see what's really up? After you contact your dive op and lodging contacts, then make your next step. This way, if you need to delay, you would know how far out to reschedule. If you can't contact anyone, and you need to make a decision, then the next step would be to make your best guess as to when to reschedule. It is understandable that with your trip only 2 weeks out, you are in a time crunch. Just a thought. Sue

Very good thoughts too, Sue. Thanks. I'm waiting to get persmision to post a PM I got from a person that is very much in the know about Coz and this current storm. As soon as I get that I will post his thoughts and you will see why I'm leaning towards cancelling/postponing. Can we say mold and mold allergies, to mention just one thing? Not good.

ggunn:
Just one. Why don't you wait a couple of days before you worry about this? Anything that you hear in the very near term will be full of speculation and misinformation. Granted, things don't look good for all the points you mention, but nobody knows anything for sure right now. I don't mean to be critical, and my vacations are important to me, too, but you have asked us several times what you should do about your vacation. You know as much as the rest of us as to what Cozumel will be like in two weeks, which right now is not much. Personally, I'm a bit more worried at the moment whether some friends of mine survived the storm.

I've already heard that most of the people I know are ok, but bedraggled.Thank God. You want to be supportive but you also don't want to be another person, homeless and thirsty that Mex officals have to deal with. I would achieve the same support for the island if I postponed than if I went now and achieved nothing. I was just wondering what other divers thought.

I too am in a quandry, I have scheduled November 9 - 16 at Hotel Cozumel. I will wait a few days and see what my agent at Bay Adventures has to say. I hope that someone will be able to give us a clear understanding of how bad things are on Coz.

The Professor

Hi:

My buddy just told me about this Board. I am scheduled to take my first trip to Cozumel during the middle of November. I am going to keep checking this Board to help me figure out what to do. But it doesn't look good to me.

Louie

The Professor:
I too am in a quandry, I have scheduled November 9 - 16 at Hotel Cozumel. I will wait a few days and see what my agent at Bay Adventures has to say. I hope that someone will be able to give us a clear understanding of how bad things are on Coz.

The Professor

I wish I would hear back from this person that PM'd me with some very pertinent info on Coz so I can post it on this board. It will help us decide, did me anyway. I'd like to get his persmission to post it first. After reading it I think it is not such a great idea to go so soon after this devastating hurricane and constant rain.

Damn, I was sooooo looking forward to this trip too. Good things, and more important things, is that Christi and her guests are all ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom