Cozumel Recovery Status

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This thread will be for post-Wilma recovery updates reported by people in Cozumel or those in contact with people there only. Other discussion can take place in other threads as usual. It is designed to be a succinct source of information on the recovery and as such, its possible that some posts may be edited for brevity's sake.

We will also move links to other websites to this initial post so that you can quickly find the most current recovery information quickly and easily.

List of hotels with status and anticipated re-open dates:

http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/hurricane.php

http://divetrip.com/hurricane_wilma.htm - updated daily.

http://www.10gatesrivieramaya.com/core/corehome.php?force=RIV

Cozumel Insider

ComeToCozumel.com - Nice Summary of Hotel Status

Aldora Divers Update

http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/mexico.shtml

Using my Cozumel Staff and a reliable phone link I have been working on getting status information on as many hotels and locations as I can. But it is impossible to get lots of details and predicting when damaged hotels might open would be rediculous. I would like to offer some general guidelines for consideration which will be condensed into Dave's Rules.

1. All photos that you see on the web are the ones showing the most devastation. Nobody takes a picture of something that is OK and there is a lot of Cozumel that is still OK. And most of you know how hard working and industrious the Cozumelenos are so Dave's rule #1 is: Believe that there is still a lot left in Cozumel, and what is a mess, will soon be cleaned up.

2. Most serious and long lasting damage from this huricane was the duration of wave action. It should then be obvious that proximity to the water and height above the water are major determinants of damage. If one is worried about a hotel that is right on the water, or between the main road and the water, there should be serious concern about the possibility of reopening in the short term. Hotel Presidente has announced a planned January 31st opening, Melia Mayan has announced that they will be closed at least 3 months as has Caribe Blu and others. The Fiesta Americana has announced a December 15th opening. I suspect however that some of them may never reopen.

Now, you should keep in mind that there are many hotels with minimal damage that are going to stay closed until the end of the money losing low season and just use the hurricane as an excuse. Or some may be negotiating with insurance companies by staying closed to protect possible compensation. Afterall, it is low season and even in normal times they are losing money by staying open.

So, Dave's rule number 2 is to expect that waterfront hotels may not be available until after the New Year, and apply reasonable skepticism to any other claims.

3.. There are many hotels that ought to be open soon and even quasi waterfront ones like the Hotel Cozumel, Coral Princess, Fiesta Ameircana and Villa Blanca that should be able to overcome the minimal damage they suffered. Virtually all of the downtown hotels could be open tomorrow if power is restored.

Dave's rule #3 is to be suspicipous of waterfront hotels being opened any time soon, but expect all off the water hotels to be able to open very soon.

4. Businesses off the main street can be in full operation as soon as power is restored. These include most of the favorite restaurants such as Prima, LaChoza, El Capi Navigante. And regardless of posts about being unable to get food, that was a very short term problem and will be solved very quickly if it is not already. Dave's rule #4 is to expect that you will be able to visit most of your favorite places in Cozumel.

5. The major factor in the restoration of the normal infrastructure, and the ability to provide a quality vacation will be the electrical power. Indeed, by Wednesday night power was restored to the Chedraui supermarket and portions of the Corpus Christi area. The Mexicans know that tourism is the life blood of Cozumel and a major source of income to the country overall so there will be a massive effort to get things back in order. Perhaps a more important factor is that the Governor of the State of Quintana Roo is a former Mayor of Cozumel and all of his family and friends live in Cozumel--they will not let Cozumel be forgotten. The preliminary anouncement was that power will be restored to all of the island within 45 days, but that means every last palapa in the jungle. The priority will of course be the business areas. Dave's rule #5 is that you should wait for power to be restored before coming to Cozumel, but expect that it is possible any time after November 15th.

6. There have been many dive shops that have suffered damage to both boats and facilities. But sinking a boat is not the calamity that many envision. In the case of outboard powered boats it is pretty simple. We at Aldora over the years have had 4 or 5 cases of boats going down and in most cases we were able to get them running and working again in a matter of a few days or less (one time 3 hours later). Those with diesel inboards are more complex and may be complicated by the shear numbers that have to be fixed, but they will be. As long as the hull of the boat was not cracked open repairs should be able to be done in fairly short order.

As for facilities being damaged, that is easily overcome in many cases. Indeed, for our first 3 years of operation, Aldora Divers did not even have a facility. For many shops the tanks are just rented on a daily basis from the compressor shop and maintenance and gear is stored off the water. It is my opinion that most dive shops will be physically able to be back in operation very soon.

Financial problems are another issue though. While physically able, many shops have just finished a very low season in which most of their financial reserves needed for survival were already eaten up by the recovery from hurricane Emily in July. Whether they have the resources to pay for repairing damages and stay in business is another question.

Given all that, it is possible that the availabilty of dive boats may be limited in the near term so Dave's Rule #6 is to make assured dive reservations before coming to Cozumel.

7. There have been many posts by concerned people about ways to help their friends and the generally wonderful people of Cozumel. I think the absolute best way to do so is to plan a trip here and make it soon and frequent. Your presence is all these people need, that is work and they know how to do that. And I sincerely believe that you will find the experience to be better than ever before. Sure there will still be lingering damage to look at, and you may not be able to do everything like you used to, or your favorite beachfront hotel may never open again, but in every cloud there is a silver lining.

At least for a while, the thundering herd of cruise ship weenies may no longer be there in such numbers, the reefs will be less crowded, everyone you see will be grateful for your presence, and you can feel very good about helping the people restore their lives, and become a part of creating the new, old Cozumel. Dave's rule #7? Come down and figure it out your own!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Originally posted by Harro10 10/27 at 6:53PM PST

This is copied from an email sent out from Jeanie:

Thanks to all of our friends that have inquired about us all in Cozumel - all of our people made it safely through WILMA!

5 of our 6 boats have been cleaned and ready to go diving!

Electricity has been slowly returning to Cozumel - as is the phone service. This I think is amazing!

The people of Cozumel are also AMAZING - they are all helping to clean the debris from the streets.

Right now there is NO travel to Cozumel - even Alejandra who is in Mexico City right now - has been denied being allowed to return. Ale is trying to get a special permission to return.

For the hotel - once the cleaning is complete - and a few doors are finished along with the glass replaced - we will be ready for guest!

Much of the work will depend on availability of supplies, which I hope will not slow us down.

At the hotel and dive shop - all of our people, divemasters, cooks to Captains (even Victor) are helping clean up - we are fixing lunch for our workers - so we are feeding about 20 people each day.

So far I do not think anyone is going hungry - but we have to stand in long lines for one 5 gallon jug of water per person. Yesterday - I went to three stores to buy food and supplies and stood in line to get in and stood in line to check out for a total of almost 5 hours.

I will try to update you as to the progress of the rebuilding and things in Cozumel.

Thank You
Jeanie Buscher
BLUE ANGEL DIVE SHOP

You may read more and discuss at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116965.

Originally posted by Christi 10/27 4:48PM PST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will be very brief...but I wanted to check in and let everyone know that your thoughts and prayers during the past week are appreciated more than you know.

I arrived in Houston this afternoon at 4:00. I am NOT here for good contrary to reports I have heard. I will be here for a week and a half to two weeks so that I can communicate with my customers, which is obviously very high on the priority list. I have been able to communicate with close family and friends since Monday only sporadically since I have been without electricity or phone service.

My priority this past week was survival for my crew, my friends, my pets, my home, and basically putting the pieces back together.

I expect to be fully operational again Thanksgiving week. Shamu suffered minor damage in the grand scheme of things, we just need a couple of weeks to make repairs.

At this time, I do ask for patience as I work through the e-mails and bookings. Please be assured that if you have reservations with me, I will be in contact with you over the next few days and I will be working through reservations chronologically.

Thank you all again for your thoughts, well wishes, prayers, etc. This is truly one of the most amazing communities of people I could ever ask to be associated with and I feel blessed to be a part of it.

God Bless all of you,
Christi
Blue XT~Sea Diving

You may read more and discuss at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116955

Originally posted by docmartin 10/24 at 10:50 AM

from their website. that toadfish thing is quite amazing.

"We made it!!!
Unfortunately, some did not. There are a few fatalities reported, and massive damage to the island.
For those familiar with the island, to show how severe the storm surge was, a Splendid Toad fish was found near the Coffee Bean. On the water front, second floor apartments were destroyed.
We have yet to inspect the boat, so we'll keep you posted as to any more news we find out.

Once again, we thank you all for the well wishes, but it will be a few days before we will be able to reply to any emails.

Thank you... "

You may read more and discuss at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116511

My wife and I left Scuba Club Cozumel yesterday Oct. 27,2005 arrived in Houston early afternoon. Scuba Club Cozumel expects to be running around November 15,2005
We stayed there throughout the hurricane and they always had minimum of three staff members present. They supplied us with food and water and by Sunday or Monday had water and hot water for us to shower. They provided three hot meals a day and helped us make arrangements to leave. Would highly recommend Scuba Club Cozumel/ Gallapagos to any one making a trip to Cozumel. Did hear horror stories regarding other hotels/ resorts

Originally posted by Ron Brandt 10/26 at 09:32 PM PST.

I got off the phone earlier this evening with Troy Ruhr and Jim Armstrong...

All the crew are in good shape(alive) and greatfull for god being on their side!

Looks like one boat was sunk ,and the other turned into an aeroplane, but as of this afternoon both are in the water floating and running !!!!

"There are many people that are in worse shape than we are" to quote Jim and donations are very much welcome ,but to ensure that the right people get the money to not donate to the Red Cross. They will take Pay Pal and there is also a fund set up that people can donate to.http://www.cozumelrelief.com

Pelagic Ventures will available for booking immediately and I am also told to tell people not to be afraid to come down as the clean up is going well and there is power to part of the island now.

They will help you find accomodation and you can also get a private tour of the island from them!

They have not had a chance to check out the reef damage yet, but hope to befor the weekend is over.

If you book ,please mention this post or my name.If you need phone numbers to call
PM me.

Orignally posted by Christi 10/28 at 01:45 PM.

Caribe Blu: Reopening date unknown. The damages are still being assessed and we just need to give them time before we commit them to a reopening date at this point. Much of this will be determined by how fast electricity and supplies are available. Patience is appreciated.

Casa Mexicana: Closed until December 15, 2005 (possibly earlier)

Suites Bahia: Closed until December 15, 2005 (possibly earlier)

Suites Colonial: Closed through December 15, 2005 (possibly earlier)

Vista del Mar: No confirmation on damages or reopening date at this point

Hacienda San Miguel: No confirmation on damages or reopening date at this point

Hotel Cozumel: Will reopen as soon as electricity is restored

Fiesta Americana: December 15, 2005

Presidente: January 31, 2006

There is an excellent website with a list that continuously updates with hotel status and damage reports here: http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/hurricane.php

Once again, your patience is very much appreciated during this time of putting the pieces back together. Holding off on cancelling upcoming trips and allowing us all time to work through the e-mails, reservations, etc. is one of the valuable ways you can help right now. Please understand that this may take several days as I (and numerous others) have been without reliable means of communications for over a week now (many still are) and have been inundated with e-mails, phone calls, and private messages. I came to Houston temporarily for this purpose, so that I CAN communicate and keep the business running, even if it is remotely.

I apologize if this email has already been posted elsewhere. I didn't see it on a quick keyword search. Edited for length.

The Cozumel Drift

Welcome to the 11th edition of The Cozumel Drift, brought to you by your friends and family (YES, we are still alive!!!) here at Blue Bubble Divers, Dive ECO-cozumel, Scuba Shack & Village Tan Kah on the island of Cozumel. Boy, we are having a great year huh ?!?!?!?!?!

Hurricane Wilma

Scuba Shack Skinny

The pier is gone, as are most of the piers on the island. That was expected since the our initial contact with the storm came with winds from the north. But the waves took out everything, almost 100% of the cement is gone - no dive shop, no equipment room, no steps...... all that is left is the front wall and part of the side wall of the little t-shirt shop. So, everything that was stored there is gone as well. All of the shops dive equipment had been moved to the Blue Bubble offices, so that was safe. But everything else is gone. The tanks decided that they were going to dive solo - so the full ones are still on the bottom of the ocean. We are going out daily to find them. And the empties float - so they were taking the jungle tour, anywhere starting from the cruise ship piers all the way down to the Atlantida dolphins. The freezer decided it was going to take a swim in the pool. It doesn't swim very well....... and I wonder where all of the home baked cakes went..... I sure hope that the fish are enjoying them somewhere ! So basically, we will need to rebuild the entire dive shop. But look on the bright side. We get to give it now a face lift - and do some of the things the right way like we always wanted to do it !

As for the boats, you know we have the 4 fast boats and the 1 big boat. The 4 fast boats were tied down in the Caletta Marina - and that took a really hard hit. But our 4 boats are fine. Sure the metal top on 1 is cracked, and the seat on another is cracked where the tree fell on it, but all of them are fine along with the engines. More later on how others fared in the Caletta. The big boat, though, was unable to make it's trek over to the mainland to the port in Puerto Morelos. Which I think was a blessing in disguise. The marina on the mainland was completely and utterly destroyed. Puerto Morelos took a much harder hit than Cozumel (as did Cancun). So, it was better that the captains were able to stay here instead of being placed in a worse harms way. The Blue Bubble 1 started taking on water as they were crossing over and they had to return back to Cozumel, and the tied off in the big Marina on the island. Unfortunately, 20 boats in the marina here decided that they wanted to see what the bottom looks like, and that is where the Blue Bubble is right now. So, we will have to make another scavenger hunt !

Blue Bubble offices fared well. They just leak alot so much of the stuff got wet, but who cares right ?? It's dive gear anyway.

The Village Tan Kah is just fine, really, just fine. We would have thought that the crumbling back water tower building or the front office building would have sustained damage, but nothing. About 1/8 th of the palapa roof on the Treehouse blew off, but the rest is fine. The entrance palapa - the one that has been there forever and falling apart, well, that is gone. Other than the lack of trees and electricity, the hotel is fine. Oh, the the pipes from the water tower to the hotel rooms were ripped off the side of the building by the wind, but that is easily fixed. Once we get the electricity back on, then we are 100% back to normal !

As of right now, NONE of our phone lines are working. So please, do not try to call. E-mail us and we will get back to you soon !

So, the short of it is ...... we are alive and well, we need to rebuild some but we are still 100% operational. The Shark room is going to make a fine dive shop/office, and our boats are still running. We just need to have customers now. No matter what you are hearing on the television and radio, WE ARE STILL IN BUSINESS.

OUR QUEST

Plead: So how are we going to go about rebuilding our business ?? Well, we need to get operations going, and for that, we have to have customers, and start diving. First, I am asking (OK PLEADING) all of you out there who have outstanding balances with us (Curtis, this means you too), we can really use the money right now. So please, if your hearts and your pocketbooks can handle it, please send a check for what you owe. We thank you and really, really appreciate.

Beg: Many of you have been asking what we need, offering to send food, clothes, money, etc. Food is getting to the island, clothes, no one really lost clothes or homes, and money is only a very short term solution. Really, what we need for a long term solution is our loyal and true customers - we are begging you to come and visit - SOON!!. You know that we would never have been able to create our business as much as we have in the last few years without you, and that we would never offer a service (diving or hotel) that we did not feel met our standards, so you know you can count on us. Now, we need to count on you. We will not have the cash flow to rebuild, and pay the employess, who buy the food, and gas, and.... well, you can see how the food chain works. WE NEED YOU !!! As of Nov 14th, cruise ships are coming back to the island, and I think Nov 7th or so is the scheduled target date for having tourists back on the island. WE NEED YOU HERE. So, in order for you to help us, please book a trip. And bring a friend if you can - the more the merrier ! If you already have reservations with us, please keep them. And what we ask of you is: if you can econmically find a way to prepaying any part of or all of your diving and hotel, we would greatly appreciate it.

Cozumel Capers

No matter what the press is saying, we are all fine and everyone is working hard to get right back on track. Neither Cozumel or Cancun are destroyed. We have not sustained as much damage as was expected during this hurricane. We are not closed and will not be closed for tourism any time soon.

The number one agenda for the island and the government is to clean up and getting ourselves back on our feet. So, what is happening you wonder?? Well, the Mexican
Marines were initially dispatched to the main roads for security reasons, clean up and
generally keeping order. This time, the entire island was out of electricity and is going
to be out for a while. So, curfew was set - 7 am - 7 pm. Not really enforced though.

I am TOLD (another words this is really rumor but appears to be true) that as long as
you are going somewhere, there is no problem, especially if you are on a bike, moped or in a car.

The electric company has been sending in fleets, and I mean fleets of additional workers, crews, trucks, supplies, etc. Each fleet has between 30 - 40 trucks. So, electricity, is on its way. Tulum and Playa - 100%, Cancun, about 40% right now. The problem with reestablishing the electricity on Cozumel is that there is no car ferry to bring over the trucks/supplies. So all of the crews can come over on the people ferries, but none of the vehicles, new posts, cranes or transformers can get here until the car ferry returns. Even still, parts of Cozumel has electricity - probably about 25%. Water will be up and running as soon as the water plant gets electricity. Time schedule for electricity is that the whole island is expected to be connected within the next 4 days. The very first car ferry that will come over will bring electricity supplies, the second one gas. Food is arriving daily by plane and ship.

Telephones are expected to be up within the next 3 - 4 days as well.

The first cruise ships are scheduled to arrive Nov 14th. Not that we like cruise ships or anything, but that is a baseline to know when the island will FOR SURE be up and running at 100%. As for the hotels, well, the most important one - VILLAGE TAN KAH - of course is ready and waiting for customers. Really soon, it will be business as usual.

The only thing left to check out now are the reefs. In the next couple of days, everyone from the Marine National Park and of course many of the dive shops are going to be heading out and checking the conditions. By the end of next week, when we have had already electricity and phone lines up, we will be sending another E-mail with that information. Along with an update on the hotels, beaches, other side of the island, etc.

So, we will be keeping you guys informed.

So, as of right now, Royal Caribbean cruise lines will begin arriving to Cozumel on Nov 14. Carnival and others are sending in evaluators to see what the conditions are like before they give a date. More to come on reconstruction.

Rock 'n Java - almost ocean front right now ! Atlantida dolphin jail - gone again (YEAH!!)

Aldora pier in town - missing a few pieces but still looks good. South of us, I do not know.

We have not been any farther south that the Caletta - yet.
I had to edit a LOT out because it was too long for the system. If anyone would like me to send the entire email, just send me a message.

A message I got from El Cid

Our hotel in Cozumel was no exception and as far as we are concerned, the El
Cid Corporate Offices have already assigned the necessary economic funds
through a task force program which by all the services of our facilities in
El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel are activated as quick as possible.

We are estimating to get back in business by January 2006. In the meantime,
should you deem necessary, we will be at your disposal at the El Cid Resorts
in Mazatlan and honoring the same rates that our mutual clients have paid to
stay at our El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel in Cozumel. Also, keep us posted of
any possibility of redirecting business from the Caribbean to Mazatlán while
reconstruction takes place. Otherwise we can arrange a change in the dates
of travel.

We thank you very much in advance for your comprehension and for any
inconvenience this may cause you and look forward to being back in business
as soon as possible to offer the quality service and traditional hospitality
of El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel.

Sincerely.