casa del mar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard from Scuba Shack (the dive shop just so. of Casa del Mar) and from Aldora Divers (Aldora.com). Supposedly Casa Del Mar's pier is gone, as is the beach and steps up to the walkway. I believe the hotel is OK with the exception of broken windows.

Any ideas on how to find accurate info on their reopening plans? They're not reachable by phone or email and all I've found so far is that Apple Vacations posted yesterday that they are "closed until further notice." There are other properties they've said that about that have Nov/Dec opening dates posted elsewhere online.

scubawife:
Any ideas on how to find accurate info on their reopening plans? They're not reachable by phone or email and all I've found so far is that Apple Vacations posted yesterday that they are "closed until further notice." There are other properties they've said that about that have Nov/Dec opening dates posted elsewhere online.

Uh Hello! Not wanting to sound rude here but if you had a look at the pictures posted by sdvrgirl I think you should be able to figure it out on your own...http://www.bluewaterokc.com/pics/cozumelwilma_10_28

It's a relevant question to ask, especially if you have a Casa del Mar reservation, as I do, through Apple (which considers "closed until further notice" the same as "might open next week" for purposes of not giving your money back). In the meantime, the cometocozumel.com site indicates that the CdM people weighed in at the island hotel association meeting and proposed Dec. 15 as a "closed until" date.

Divingnthedark, that was rude. Yes I DID see the photos. But that still didn't answer the question. If you look at the few that are of the hotel building and rooms and not of the dive shop, along with a few "on the seen" reports, the hotel damage did not seem that extensive relative to many others on the island. OBVIOUSLY Del Mar Aquatics was very hard hit. And if you've seen any of the sets of photos taken each day post-Wilma, you'd notice that places that initially appeared devasted were actually not so bad once the debris was cleared away... So, from the few hotel pics of Casa del Mar that were posted it's impossible to tell or assume WHEN the hotel would reopen. For that matter, there are other dive shops who lost buildings but not boats and do plan to be in operation even without their buildings. Pictures tell you alot about what was happening the moment they were taken, but not days or weeks after.

There were early reports posted here and elsewhere from people on the island who noted what they saw to be the damage to various properties and what they were hearing as possible reopening dates. Two of those reports I'd read both said that Casa del Mar had minimal damage and should be able to reopen relatively quickly.

Apple has listed them as "closed until further notice." The "Official" list posted by the Hotel Association yesterday says Dec 15th. That's the info I was looking for. I've made other arrangements now.

It is frustrating, and bad business, that Apple, and other reservation companies are giving partial information, in order to avoid refunding money.
Some airlines, like Continental, are resuming flights. Charters, and other airlines, have announced not until, at least Dec. 15th.
There is a combination of mis-information, no information, and really solid information out there.
If you go through every possible source, you can put a pretty good picture together.
I don't think that any of us will get truly accurate information for quite a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom