In regards to rebuilding after Wilma....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brules

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a question I hope some people can answer. :)

Alot of the sea side business in Cozumel were seriously damaged or destroyed during Wilma. My question is, for these businesses (papa hogs, dive paradise, del mar aquatics, jeanies etc) who lost their concrete piers/buildings, will they be able to rebuild their buildings/piers quickly and without alot of red tape involved? Will the buildings be able to be rebuilt? I was under the impression the island had put a halt on (and tha taxi union hehehe) to building buildings ocean side as of late? Anyone know?

Also what will happen to the cruise ship pier that was totally destroyed? Since there was such a hubub about it being built in the first place, will they rebuild it in the same place or move it (i hope they move it!)? I cant imagine the environmental impact on paradise reef if they have to demolish what is left, dredge it up and then rebuild it!!!!! Is anyone else worried about it? Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Also does anyone local know what will happen to Chakanaab/Punta Sur parks? Will the owners rebuild them?

Thanks! :10:

PS - Does anyone know how the hurricane affected the rebuilding of the Park Royal?

The only question I have somewhat of an answer to is Park Royal... got an email from a local there who said the construction was set back so far that he figures it will be a year before they finish.

I think that the answers to a lot of these questions are yet to be determined, and may be months or even years in coming.

I would think that "rebuilding" some of the buildings along the waterfront wouldn't fall into the new construction catagory that the halt to waterfront buildings rule appies. Just depends on how the laws are written. I would think that red tape wouldn't be as big a problem as it would be with new construction because getting folks back up and running and getting the tourists back are the priorities, hopefully the usual bureaucrocy will be bypassed and moving forward will be the focus.

the rebuilding of small piers will be up to the owner's and whether they can afford to do so, I think this will be one of the long term type projects.

The Puerto Maya pier was owned by Carnival Cruise Lines from what I understand and they have the money to rebuild, I'm sure it will be rebuilt in the same place, they have already destroyed enough of Paradise building it the first time, moving it to another location would be a worse enviromental problem than rebuilding in the existing spot, plus they own all the land for the shops at Puerto Maya, it just wouldn't be abandoned and move to another location.

I know a lot of us would just as soon ALL the cruise ship piers be leveled and us divers could have our little peaceful island back to ourselves, but unfortunately that's just not going to happen. Cozumel has been discovered by the masses and we'll just have to live with it.

What would be nice is when the "newlyweds, over feds and nearly deads" do start coming back, if they would cut loose with some greenbacks and pitch in to help get her back on her feet, not just walk around town in a daze and act like they are being imposed upon by store owner's trying to lure them into their stores.

As Gordon said time will tell, it has only been a couple of weeks, although it must seem like an eternity to the folks down there.

Brules:
Also does anyone local know what will happen to Chakanaab/Punta Sur parks? Will the owners rebuild them?

PS - Does anyone know how the hurricane affected the rebuilding of the Park Royal?

I'll defer to the previous answers regarding most of your questions, only time will tell, but those with exisiting buildings/structures/piers should be able to rebuild without problems, unless they were built illegally in the first place...which I don't think is the case with any of these places.

Chankanaab and Punta Sur a givernment owned...they are National Parks operated, maintained, and managed by the government. They will be rebuilt as quickly as possible as well.

Park Royal was already a long way from being finished, so I'm sure Wilma has delayed the reopening somewhat, but I haven't heard any firm dates yet.

Back
Top Bottom