BEWARE False "Destruction" Reports Re: Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gratefuljames

Contributor
Reaction score
So, of course, there's going to be an a-h in every crowd, and the scuba industry has their share. I'm talking about the operators spreading false rumors about destruction and business disintegration in Cozumel when the same has not occurred. I have been receiving daily, personal reports from Apple at Dive Paradise: they are ready to dive as of November 14, and are waiting for the hotels, and specifically the electricity and water, to come on line. Many hotels were not AS DAMAGED as SOME PEOPLE are representing. So, don't dismay - contact your favorite hotel or operator. Unless they tell you they are out of business, don't believe it coming from someone else's mouth (or off their fingers on the internet). Anyone having any questions about Dive Paradise (which only lost TOMBO, and all other boats are safe, and ready to go) can contact me directly (gratefuldivers (at) hotmail.com). Here's an excerpt from Apple's many emails I posted on scubadiving (dot) com this morning:

{Excerpted from personal emails}: Phenonemal progress...Melgar all cleaned up, should look amost perfect by the 14th {November}! Electricity progressing rapidly...especially to tourist areas. Water remains a problem. Coz Resort, Casa Mex and a few others should be ready to go by the same date {November 14}. Provisions are being distributed house by house daily, and food is available in stores and restaurants. We are still on curfew, but it has been extended to 8 pm. Boats are getting cosmetic repairs...many ready to go already...Morale remains high...like a rubber band island, {it} sproing back into place...

My personal {humble opinion}. Still no significant reports on the reefs (have I missed something?), which is a little worrisome to me (because it is virtually certain that someone has been out there by now). Flip side is that 3 weeks after the last hurrican (forgot already which one that was) the reefs were great, and we saw a lot of teeming small life and bigger stuff hanging around in all the old places (my personal opinion is this was because of a nutrient scrub-off on the reefs: but I am no expert). I am not going to Cozumel on November 15, and probably not until December, only because I have work, and because nowadays my idea of camping is staying in a Holiday Inn with electricty, running water and room service (lol)...

Looks like the island is doing well over the best that can be expected...

Final note {from me}: SO BEWARE of false reports claiming damage and total destruction to dive ops and hotels. Unscrupulous A-holes are taking advantage of the internet and people's paranoia and the ability to 'settle scores' (whatever those are) to spread false information. This is totally unacceptable, and those of you doing it on this board you KNOW WHO YOU ARE, and we (the divres of the dive community) are noticing and believe me we're really not all as stupid as you must think (lol).

Final note {directly from Dive Paradise website by Apple}: I am very appreciative of all of the warm thoughts being sent this way. We certainly need that to balance the hostility of those who feel we have "ripped them off", or "spoiled their vacation". May they never face the difficulties we have to face! Dive Paradise has NEVER taken money for services unrendered. While it would be preferable to have people reschedule their travel plans and let us keep and use the monies they have on deposit with us, for those who are not happy with that option, we will refund their money (as usual for agency bookings - we prefer agency credit, if at all possible). Please be patient.. At this moment, I have no check book to write checks, and until there are people leaving the island, I will have no way to get refunds into the mail. But, it will be taken care of. Again, I am sorry for my delay to respond. Thanks for your patience and understanding, Apple - Dive Paradise, Cozumel

My personal opinion on this: shame on those that have exhibited hostility over this issue - understandably people are upset, and yes, some people get to go away every two years and their trip is important. However, no one has control over hurricanes, and the situation here is very, very serious. Patience, understanding and good-will will take you a lot further than hostility!

FINALLY, I have a personal relationship with Apple and have been diving with DP for many years: that does not mean I don't know, love and respect many other operstors in, on or around COZUMEL that are going to need our help to get back on their feet. Show them your patience and caring, and get down there and dive as soon as you can. BOYCOTT the liars and thieves, because they don't deserve any better.

Peace!

James

Wow, I think most everyone here as been very hopeful about Cozumel. I follow the Cozumel messages because it's my favorite place to dive and I love the wonderful people I've met there. I have a trip planned for January and haven't thought about cancelling.

I don't understand where you are coming from. Maybe I've missed something?

As I said; people are making statements about certain hotels and certain dive ops being "destroyed" or "out of business" and the statements simply are not true; that's all; it's not that much of a big deal; just people trying to take advantage of a bad situation. This would be a new thing...because..........?

Brules,

Good to see you. James is not a troll and he actually is speaking the truth.

I received a message from not one, but TWO of my customers that have been solicited by another dive shop claiming that I am out of business. If it's happened to me, I'm sure it's happened to others.

So, don't believe these rumors unless you hear it directly from your operator. In fact, I don't know of ANY operators that are going out of business or that don't "have the resources or means" to rebuild/re-establish/move on. It will be difficult for many, no doubt...but I've learned and experienced first hand the extreme generosity of the dive community and it will never be forgotten!

On behalf of Cozumel...thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement after Emily AND Wilma!

... and would this be the same helpful folks who manage to at the end of all posts or emails squeeze in the fact that they 100% up and running and can provide accommodations with a dock? I chalked it up to some very creative and very desperate marketing. From the limited experience I have with Cozumel, I think that anyone using these malicious tactics to try and improve their situation will find it working against them as soon regular communication resumes. Divers who are happy to use whatever shop is at their hotel will continue to do so. Divers who have found an operator they really like use every trip will not take someone's word for their situation. They'll confirm the info and, as always, if their first choice can't take them then they will likely go with whomever they recommend.

James,

Right after the hurricane, a lot of us were on pins and needles going from site to site, hoping to find some news. Some misinformation was reported with good intentions. Some of the sources we relied upon were major news agencies like AP and Reuters, some were sporadic reports from people on the island whose point of view was probably very limited by being trapped wherever they were. I don't believe that any of the regular scubaboard members purposely went about reporting false information in order to harm anyone. That's my $0.02.

We frequent the Cozumel board because we love to dive and visit Coz!
Were all going to find out the truths eventually!
While many hotels and dive ops are ready to open now, there are many projecting reopening in 2006. If you try to fool people into going to Coz for a diminished experience, you may end up losing customers for life. That is short sighted!

Make your reservations in spite of any info on this board. Call your hotels and dive ops directly. If you go with Apple, as I have many times, get trip insurance!:peace:

scubawife:
... Divers who have found an operator they really like use every trip will not take someone's word for their situation. They'll confirm the info and, as always, if their first choice can't take them then they will likely go with whomever they recommend.

There is great loyality to dive ops from customers in Coz. Last week when I called down to see if my friends were ok and how the boats faired (and yes they are friends)
I was informed that customers of Mike and Margret at Papa Hogs had calls from people wanting to go down and just help clean up! No dives,no credit toward dives,just clean up!

I personally have not seen the posts about Christi(she's mentioned it several times) and would like to .I also cannot believe accomodations and a dock/pier! Most loading is happening at the Caletta.

Yes,call your favorite dive op or call friends of your dive op and really check it ot.
My post about Pelagic last week was to inform the regulars that "the boys" are ok and not to worry.

Ron

James, I think they may have been referring to Apple Vacations, not Dive Paradise's Apple. Apple Vacations has lots of disgruntled customers right now becuase they've cancelled their charters to Coz and Cancun and are claiming hotel reopening dates, or sometimes lack there of, that are not in line with what the hotels are officially reporting.

Ron Brandt:
I personally have not seen the posts about Christi(she's mentioned it several times) and would like to .I also cannot believe accomodations and a dock/pier! Most loading is happening at the Caletta.
Ron

They were private messages sent to two of my customers and I don't feel it necessary to publish them, the person who did it knows who they are and is aware that I know. I am not threatened by this tactic. Obviously, my clients had enough respect to forward these messages to me and will be diving with me in December and February respectively.

I am also not the one offering accommodations and a pier...I HAVE offered to assist my clients who need to find alternative lodging, but that has all been through private e-mails. I was invited by a moderator to post my statement and the moderator "stuck" it.

I'm sorry if you are offended by my posts...and i apologize if I misunderstood your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom