OLD THREAD--Continental - What a load...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RiotNrrd

Contributor
Reaction score
FYI, the lastest on why Continental stinks:

I'm leaving for Coz tomorrow, and just found out they have cancelled service YET AGAIN. Now, apparently, they only offer service between Houston and Cozumel on Sundays, Mondays, and Saturdays. In order for me to get home on Friday as planned, I now have to take the ferry to Playa, and then somehow (bus, taxi, whatever) get from Playa to Cancun.

This is the THIRD TIME they have changed this trip.

If you are having any problems with them, please feel free to send letters to their executives about how crummy they are doing. FYI, here are their CEO's and President's home addresses:

CEO
KELLNER LAWRENCE W & SUSAN
10915 PIFER WAY
HOUSTON TX 77024-5440

PRESIDENT
SMISEK JEFFERY A &
STRASSMANN DIANA L
5211 BRIAR DR
HOUSTON TX 77056-1101

RiotNrrd

Just found out that American has cancelled our flights on December 3 to Cozumel. Apparently the flights were cancelled seven days after we purchased them but no representative bothered to notify us until we called to confirm. This in spite of their having our telephone numbers and e-mail addresses under our frequent flyer profile. Go figure!?!

We had FIVE changes with CO, and not one notification. I found all of them and called. A couple weeks ago we finally gave up on flying into Cozumel and just rebooked for flights into and out of Cancun. We're spending the last half of our trip on the mainland so we were already flying out of Cancun. The worst part for us now is having to take an extra half-day from work so we can get a 4pm flt to Houston and overnight in order to get an AM flight to Cancun. I just didn't trust them and figured that if we're in Houston the night before then I didn't care as much what time changes they made to the flight from Houston to Cancun. They claim that as of 12/15 they will resume non-stop service from Cancun to Newark, but we're not counting on that and will be checking our return daily while in Mexico.

I can happily say that my airline Alaska Airlines actually emails and calls when there is a significant change to a reservation. I get our tickets sometimes 6-8 months out and will often get an email telling me of a change to a departure time. The last two times the messages were to tell me of a 3 minutes change. This is only done for advance booking, they don't do it 48 hours out. That's why I monitor the reservation starting about a month prior.

I have read this "Sundays, Mondays and Saturdays" Continental thing a few times here on Scubaboard now, and I just booked departure through Houston on FRIDAY 12/16 and return through Houston on FRIDAY 12/23.

What gives? Either the Sunday/Monday/Saturday thing is flat out not true, or Continental is letting you book online for Friday flights currently that they have no intention of flying?

?????

jayjoans:
I have read this "Sundays, Mondays and Saturdays" Continental thing a few times here on Scubaboard now, and I just booked departure through Houston on FRIDAY 12/16 and return through Houston on FRIDAY 12/23.

What gives? Either the Sunday/Monday/Saturday thing is flat out not true, or Continental is letting you book online for Friday flights currently that they have no intention of flying?
It is true, up until December 15, then they increase the frequency of the flights, but still only one flight a day.

CO has notified me of schedule changes for both of the changes made on our flights, although the second time wasn't very timely. At least my experiences with their customer service agents have at least been adequate if not better.

The important thing to know is that you need to take charge of your reservations and check on them weekly, especially during times of extraordinary events, like hurricanes, or during peak times of travel, like Christmas holidays.

When we were getting things ready to depart at 5:30 am, a priceline rep called us. She had a continental rep on the other end. We were scheduled to return from Cozumel on Tuesday the 22nd. They said we would have fly into Cozumel as planned but return through Cancun. That sucked, but it was still a great trip.

I asked for some money back to cover the ferry [$11us X2] + Taxi [$45 from PDC to CUN airport]. They said that our 2 options were to cancel the whole trip, or accept the return flight via Cancun.

Oh well.. maybe I'll send them a note about what a cheap shot that was.

Don

I have been reading posts about Cozumel since I joined this Board a couple months ago and I am amazed at how many members put emotion ahead of common sense and reason when it comes to going back there after the hurricanes.

Many members seem to disregard posts warning about going back too soon, but grasp upon positive information from people who rely on tourism for their livelihood and so have major conflicts of interest when it comes to advising tourists and potential customers.

I don't know what is going on in Cozumel. The recovery may be proceeding as swiftly as some on this Board say it is or the island may still be on the balls of its a--, I don't know. But common sense tells me that schedules are not going to return to normal or even stay predictable until the island is recovered.

If I am going to error about Cozumel it is going to be on the side of ocommon sense and stay away from the place until at least April or May of next year.

I know I am going to take a lot of flack for this post, but think about what I am saying. I bust heavy licks to make my money and I am not willing to risk it now in Cozumel, apparently you are.

I kind of agree with SpeedoLouie - you go to a place that has just experienced a natural disaster and you expect everything to be normal. Heck - I would pay $66 for the ferry and taxi gladly just for the adventure.

keybang.gif

Back
Top Bottom