Night Diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have night dived in several locations in Cozumel, depending on the dive charter or groupyou go with, some only have preferences to the easiest locations, however, you may ask the shop you are diving with as to what they feel is within your abilities, Chan Kanaab, Tormentos, Yucab wall, San Fransisco, Gardens, all are good spots to night dive, some of the shops do not like to go to these places because of the distances,.....lots of octopus and shrimps, as well as the corals blooming at night...where ever you go, remember to respect the creatures that are "sleeping" and keep your distance from the corals that are open....enjoy....

I see you posted this yesterday; what's the status on the night diving ban post Wilma? I also though paradise reef was temporarily closed? I honestly can't remember the specific closures. Did you dive paradise reef at night recently?

I'm actually pretty interested in this, as I might invest in a light before my trip to Coz in a couple of weeks. If there's no night diving I'll wait.

Eagle-scuba:
I have night dived in several locations in Cozumel, depending on the dive charter or groupyou go with, some only have preferences to the easiest locations, however, you may ask the shop you are diving with as to what they feel is within your abilities, Chan Kanaab, Tormentos, Yucab wall, San Fransisco, Gardens, all are good spots to night dive, some of the shops do not like to go to these places because of the distances,.....lots of octopus and shrimps, as well as the corals blooming at night...where ever you go, remember to respect the creatures that are "sleeping" and keep your distance from the corals that are open....enjoy....

The original poster is referring to Post Wilma night diving options, which is currently limited only to Paradise...there are no other options at this time for night dives. Chankanaab, Yucab, and Tormentos are off limits for diving until further notice.

I would also disagree with you to a point about most shops only diving the "easiest" locations due to their distance...have you ever dove Villa Blanca at night...or Paradise when the current was so strong it carried you south all the way to Las Palmas instead of north? Don't underestimate some of these sites. I would also have to say that I have had some of my all time best night dives on Paradise reef. It's not about the perceived "level" of the dive sight...it's about enjoying the dive and the marine life and Paradise is abundant with creatures big and small both during the day and at night. The other sights make great night dives as well...but there's nothing wrong with Paradise unless it's just too crowded.

Matt, Yucab, Tormentos, and Chankanaab are still closed. Paradise REEF is open for diving, but the shoreline area at Paradise and shallow snorkeling area at Paradise is still off limits. As far as being able to night dive on Paradise, as the article says...Liquid Blue Divers dove there earlier this week when it was reopened for night diving.

Christi:
The original poster is referring to Post Wilma night diving options, which is currently limited only to Paradise...there are no other options at this time for night dives. Chankanaab, Yucab, and Tormentos are off limits for diving until further notice.

I would also disagree with you to a point about most shops only diving the "easiest" locations due to their distance...have you ever dove Villa Blanca at night...or Paradise when the current was so strong it carried you south all the way to Las Palmas instead of north? Don't underestimate some of these sites. I would also have to say that I have had some of my all time best night dives on Paradise reef. It's not about the perceived "level" of the dive sight...it's about enjoying the dive and the marine life and Paradise is abundant with creatures big and small both during the day and at night. The other sights make great night dives as well...but there's nothing wrong with Paradise unless it's just too crowded.

Matt, Yucab, Tormentos, and Chankanaab are still closed. Paradise REEF is open for diving, but the shoreline area at Paradise and shallow snorkeling area at Paradise is still off limits. As far as being able to night dive on Paradise, as the article says...Liquid Blue Divers dove there earlier this week when it was reopened for night diving.
The reef at Caribe Blue used to be a nice night dive. How did it end up after the storm?

I remember shore diving from the (now non-existent) scuba shack pier straight west and getting to a small section of reef that I was told is the far northern tip of paradise reef, north of the cruise ship pier. Christi, is this section closed, or would I be able to shore dive to there at night? Thanks for the info, as always!!

mattboy:
I remember shore diving from the (now non-existent) scuba shack pier straight west and getting to a small section of reef that I was told is the far northern tip of paradise reef, north of the cruise ship pier. Christi, is this section closed, or would I be able to shore dive to there at night? Thanks for the info, as always!!

Rick, apparently, people have been shore diving in front of Caribe Blu. I don't know what they are seeing...but they have cleaned it up nicely and there is easy access into the water.

Matt, that area is not within the marine park boundaries, so you could shore dive there if you wanted to. However, I haven't paid attention to how the access is there right now. I know they are working on on the piers in that area...so it's probably not a safe area to shore dive yet. Another problem right there might be access to tanks.

What everyone should understand is that the limited shore diivng Cozumel had before is now even more limited...and you won't see anything but sand and possibly cement rubble in areas. I would forget about shore divinghere for awhile unless you just want to do a weight check or practice buoyancy. Stick with the boat dives on the reef and you won't be disappointed.

Christi:

...snip...

Christi,
What is the reasoning for the closing of some sights to night diving? Are they particularly hazardous or fragile now since Wilma?

curious,
bob

wb416:
Christi,
What is the reasoning for the closing of some sights to night diving? Are they particularly hazardous or fragile now since Wilma?

curious,
bob

The three previous sites are off limits for diving period right now...until further notice. These are shallower reefs and the Marine Park authorities are simply trying to relieve some stress from them for a few months.

Rick Inman:
The reef at Caribe Blue used to be a nice night dive. How did it end up after the storm?
We didn't go very far from shore on my daughters discover scuba dive, but near shore is pretty empty with the exception of fish hanging around the few large chunks of rock or diveboat dock. I'll post a few photos within the next few days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom