Night Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasherry

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? We are going to be in Cozumel end of January and I am not sure if I am quite ready for a night dive. I am so very new at this sport and have a lot of confidence to build yet. First time diving in the ocean and I would imagine first time diving deeper than 50 feet. Would like to try a night snorkel to see how I feel about it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'd rather night dive than night snorkle. much safer.

A boat can't see you at night snorkling at all.
sharks are night time feeders and attracted to splashing distrubances in the water, yet they don't seem to bother divers, who are submerged and not splashing.

scubasherry:
... I am not sure if I am quite ready for a night dive. I am so very new at this sport and have a lot of confidence to build yet. First time diving in the ocean and I would imagine first time diving deeper than 50 feet.
I did my first ocean diving in Cozumel in early October. I only had 13 dives when I got off the plane, deepest about 35', best vis about 15'.

I did two 30 min shore dives the afternoon we arrived. It really helped my confidence. When we went off the boat the next morning, I had already worked on my weighting, found out that clearing my mask wasnt any different in salt water, etc.

That first boat dive was to 90' and only 35 mins. It was so incredible. I was with a very good divemaster and a small group.

By the end of the week I had done 17 dives. I was a bit nervous about the night dive having never done one before, but we liked it so much we did 3 night dives.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

Willie

mike_s:
I'd rather night dive than night snorkle. much safer.

A boat can't see you at night snorkling at all.
sharks are night time feeders and attracted to splashing distrubances in the water, yet they don't seem to bother divers, who are submerged and not splashing.

There's not much danger of a shark attack there; I've never heard of it happening - ever. I go night snorkeling with my (non diving) mom and sister off the back of the hotel every time we are there. Everybody has a light, and we stay close in so we are not a hazard to boat traffic. Whenever I hear a boat, I shine my light around a lot, anyway, just in case.

All that said, night diving around Cozumel is not at all scary. The water is so clear that on a moonlit night you don't really need a light at all for a lot of the dive.

ggunn:
There's not much danger of a shark attack there;...

...All that said, night diving around Cozumel is not at all scary. The water is so clear that on a moonlit night you don't really need a light at all for a lot of the dive.

Ditto all that!!!

I have talked with people that have night snorkeled inside the swim area at La Ceiba's "Airplane flats" and maybe they had gone just outside of the swim rope because they did say they saw an octopus on the plane and it's, (or was, don't know post Wilma), just out side the rope. They liked it very much.

Inside the swim area is a pretty good daytime snorkeling area so at night should be good also, not very deep, 20'+-, some small coral heads, good sized rocks and man made items droped for artifical reef stuff. You could also have the possability of seeing sting rays, I've seen them come in close to the shore there at night, possibly to feed or drawn by the lights from the restaurant.

ggunn:
All that said, night diving around Cozumel is not at all scary. The water is so clear that on a moonlit night you don't really need a light at all for a lot of the dive.

It's pretty cool to dive La Ceiba without a light....the hotel lights are bright.

Ron

I did some night snorkeling off of Plaza Las Glorias. Saw octopus and all kinds of neat stuff. Depth was around 15 ft.

scubasherry:
We are going to be in Cozumel end of January and I am not sure if I am quite ready for a night dive.

How long are you staying? There is a good chance I will be back down about the first week or two of Feb....Would love to take you
on a night dive!

Ronnie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom