important...United cancelling flights in Feb and more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d56nut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I just got off the phone with United Airlines. I was calling to find out if we could upgrade the seats we bought through FunJet. Good thing I called. They informed me that they have cancelled all flights to Cozumel until at least June of 2006. They have also cancelled all flights to Cancun through February.

If you are flying on United you might want to call to check your reservations! And...if you booked through FunJet don't expect them to tell you. When I called they didn't know the flights had been cancelled! I was told to call back during the day because the night people can't help with big things.

One note....this is for the UNITED flights...not the United flights that are really US Air flights. I know that there are several of us going in February out of Chicago so I thought you all might want to check your reservations! Good Luck!

Michelle & Rick Hart

My sisters flight in January (from Chicago) was canceled about 3 weeks ago. So I was suprised when someone booked a flight on United.

Frontier(from Denver) has not yet canceled flights, but have behaved strangely, they actually called to confirm we were still flying.

I just got off the phone with United and my flight Den-Cun on Jan 18 is still on.

We just got back from Cozumel, and we were on the first scheduled jet that American Airlines ran back there post/Wilma. I have never been on an emptier jet. I don't think that we had 20% of the seats filled. The flight attendants ran around and gave us all free headsets ( you know- those little $2 jobs that they try to sell you) as a souvenier of the flight. It all came off pretty much as scheduled, but we had a few nervous moments in Dallas/Fort Worth on the way down, when first the Cozumel connection wasn't on any of the overhead monitors:11:, and then when we did finally get gate information, they switched it around on us before we could get to where we were told to go. So, they played ping pong with us around that tiny little airport, but it finally did work out and we did get off (on time!). And on the way back, first my hotel couldn't get through to AA to confirm the flight back, as the number wasn't working ( comforting, no?). And then when we called the airport info desk, we were told that they had no record of my AA flight number that day:icon10:. They did show two other flights from AA departing that afternoon, but neither one was my number, and the times were wrong. So, we decided that enough was enough and we packed up early and went out there. Once there, the agent said that my flight was on the books with the correct number, but had been moved up from 2:40 departure to 1:55pm. And thats what it said on the boarding passes we were issued. So when did we finally get out of there? ( wait for it...) 2:40 pm. Oh well, its Mexico- what do you want? At least the baggage came off without a hitch, so I guess that I cannot complain (but sometimes I still do!:D ) All in all, another memorable dance with the airlines. Woody

I talked to a United VP yesterday after I had to rearrange a return to Chicago on UsAir since United canceled the flights.

"United is sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused a few passengers but we are in business to satisfy passengers and stock holders. We cannot fly half empty planes to vacation destinations that have limited business travelers. Also the fact that most resort hotels will not be open until later in the year has restricted the demand for tickets to this destination. United has discontinued non-stop service to Cozumel from Chicago for the foreseeable future and is booking passengers as always though it code share partner with connections to Cozumel."

I assume that this makes sense if your a stock holder but I live in the Chicago area and with all the ads around I've never seen one for the Cozumel route. If they would advertise for it like they do for St. Thomas they could fill the flights with vacationers and not worry about the business traveler revenue. Their fares were also always much more than America or even UsAir and Continental anyway. Thats why their in trouble the fat cats on top of the pyramid are bilking the company so prices have to go up to pay their multi-millions while the average worker there has to give back salaries and pensions to keep the job.

Lou

loudives:
I talked to a United VP yesterday after I had to rearrange a return to Chicago on UsAir since United canceled the flights.

<snipped>
Thats why their in trouble the fat cats on top of the pyramid are bilking the company so prices have to go up to pay their multi-millions while the average worker there has to give back salaries and pensions to keep the job.

Lou

Lou, do you work for United? Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about this! ;-)

Consider yourself fortunate that you have options. I live in a mid-sized city and have to travel through Toronto or Montreal for all international flights outside of Canad/US except for London. We also have very limited options. Look for alternatives and take your business to an airline that offers you good service.

No not an employee. Just an average guy who can see what is happening in the area. Since United is based in Chicago I guess we see more news reports than most and every time we go to the airport can see how they are not as efficient at running there area as most other airlines are.

WOODMAN:
We just got back from Cozumel, and we were on the first scheduled jet that American Airlines ran back there post/Wilma. I have never been on an emptier jet. I don't think that we had 20% of the seats filled.
That is the complete opposite of what our Continental flight on 12/18 was like. The plane was just about 100% full. Maybe there were 5-6 empty seats.

It sucks that United isn't flying into Cozumel. I know for sure that Frontier is because I saw their place take off on 12/24.

Our flight to from Cozumel was about 40% full, I guess once on the island, people aren't as interested in leaving. I know we weren't.

loudives:

"United is sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused a few passengers but we are in business to satisfy passengers and stock holders. We cannot fly half empty planes to vacation destinations that have limited business travelers. Also the fact that most resort hotels will not be open until later in the year has restricted the demand for tickets to this destination. United has discontinued non-stop service to Cozumel from Chicago for the foreseeable future and is booking passengers as always though it code share partner with connections to Cozumel."

I assume that this makes sense if your a stock holder but I live in the Chicago area and with all the ads around I've never seen one for the Cozumel route. If they would advertise for it like they do for St. Thomas they could fill the flights with vacationers and not worry about the business traveler revenue. Their fares were also always much more than America or even UsAir and Continental anyway. Thats why their in trouble the fat cats on top of the pyramid are bilking the company so prices have to go up to pay their multi-millions while the average worker there has to give back salaries and pensions to keep the job.

Lou

I hate to disappoint you, but the primary purpose of ANY business (including every dive shop you ever used) is to make the owners money. In the case of United, people who own stock in United own the company. The responsibility of those "fat cats" is to make the stock holders as much money as they can, legally. If they don't, the stock holders, through a Board of Directors that they elect, oust the "fat cats". And, if the executives acted illegally, they will go to jail. The average worker doesn't face the risk of jail time. Does the added risk justify large salaries? Not my call, it's the call of the Board of Directors. So, if you have a beef with "fat cat" salaries, your beef is not with the CEO who earns it, it's with the shareholder who approved it. I don't own United stock (or any airline for that matter), so don't take your class envy out on me.

And, in this capitalist society, an "average worker" is there because they want to be. So, your class envy is misplaced, both in reality and on this board.

I don't know about United, but Frontier recently started a NEW direct flight to Cozumel from Denver - see the story on my website.

I suspect flights maybe subject to change during January, but by February 87% of hotel rooms are expected to be open again (story also on my site) so you should find many airlines recommencing flights and packages can already be booked...

Best wishes

Ian
COZUMEL - returning greater than ever!
www.wilmacozumel.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom