1st trip to coz, what do i bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meterman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i live and dive in so.cal and going to cozumel for the first time on a 5 day trip doing 4 two tank boat dives.staying at the fiesta americana .i own all my own gear and was wondering what to bring,how much meals for 5 days would cost,wetsuit or no wet suit,weights,jacket??? its my first time and not sure .dont no what the weather is like there in late february. so any idea would be great for a first time traveler.
thanks

Bring your C card. :wink: But seriously, you'll love Coz diving. Bring your own gear, it's always a better option then renting, if for no other reason than the fact that you're more familiar with it, which is a Good Thing(TM) when it comes to life support equipment. Wet suit is not really necessary since the water temp doesn't get much below 78 degrees in the winter months, but a 2/3 mil isn't a bad idea for body protection. (those pesky jelly fish can be unpleasant on a night dive... I know from first hand experience) Also, everyone's temperature tolerance is different, so it's really up to you. You definitely don't need a 5 mil. You also don't need to bring any weights, since the dive ops will provide them.

I'd freeze to death without a 5ml (and my hooded vest) in February. Lots of this is repeated in another thread not too far below this (costs etc.) which you might want to look at.

Double check with the hotel, NOT your travel agent, that your reservation are good and the hotel is open. There were conflicting reports about this last month.
Also I thought that hotel was an ALL INCLUSIVE so food money is minimal unless you go into town. This hotel is 4 miles south of town so rental car or taxi is in your future. Since this is your first time take the taxi, driving the streets takes getting used to. Dinner in town around the Plaza $10-$25 per. Walk back a couple blocks, or find Christi's list on this board to get good food at good prices.
Late Feb the weather is just starting to warm up so you can still get some days in the upper 60's if the north wind blows. Bring a wind breaker for warmth and rain protection.
Water temp should be 78-80 so 3m will do if you tolerate cold. If you are doing many dives on consecutive days or get chilled easy do a 5m. Weights and belts are provided and you can rent others but own gear is better. Leave gloves and knives at home, NOT ALLOWED. Check with operator if he/she keeps your gear for you while your there, Saves time and you don't have to rinse and worry about it.
Spend a couple bucks and call dive operator with questions or e-mail after all he/she will be your best friend down there.
Post on this board your exact dates and dive operator and maybe someone here who has been there will be there at the same time and can show you the ins and outs of Coz.
I'll be there Jan 14-18 and again Feb 11-19 and diving with Raul at www.bottomtimedivers.net

Welcome to some great diving,
Lou

loudives:
Also I thought that hotel was an ALL INCLUSIVE so food money is minimal unless you go into town.
Lou, not to argue with you, but at the FA, all inclusive is optional. You get a wrist band if you do the AI thing, otherwise everything is out of pocket. I think the AI option can be a good value, especially if you have kids, even for only breakfast, lunch, bottled water, drinks and a dinner or 2 at the reservations only restaurant. The rest of the nights go to town for dinner.

Leave gloves and knives at home.

No one can tell you how much wet suit you will need as everyone's cold tolerance is unique. You can expect water temps between 77 and 79. Plan accordingly. For me that means a Bare 5/4 mm full suit. If you bring less insulation, bring a hood.

Bring a light and take it with you on every dive.

Bring a small drybag to take on the boat.

Bring biodegradable sunscreen.

Get the Cozumel map from www.cancunmap.com

Hire a taxi for the afternoon and drive around the island, stop at Coconuts, donate a t-shirt, have a drink or 2, take some photos, walk on the soft sand, and drive back to the west side in time to see a sunset. Be sure to take photos.

Eat at Camilo's on Ave 5 between Calle 2 and 4 (You can walk to this one from the plaza) and La Conchita del Caribe on Ave 65 between calle 21 and 23 (taxi driver should know this one).

It's been mentioned in other threads, but bring a towel, fleece, or light windbreaker for the surface interval to keep the wind off your skin, especially now when more boats are having to do the SI on the boat instead of docking at one of the southern beach resorts. Just got back from Coz last week, and there were people on the boat who were comfortable underwater diving in a skin, but would be freezing in minutes after getting out of the water - they switched to 3 mm suits just because of the SI's. A fleece or windbreaker also may be comfortable around town in the evening since you're from SoCal, maybe less so in Feb, but certainly was in December.

If you like to explore around the backstreets of town a bit more like me, I'd consider bringing footwear a little more rugged than flip-flop sandals, perhaps sneakers or Tevo-like sandals. The sidewalks are a bit more uneven than on the main drags, lots of places to potentially stub a toe or scrape an ankle if you're not careful (nothing to do with the hurricanes, just older sidewalks).

Here is a link to a trip report I wrote last year when I went to Cozumel at the end of January into the beginning of February. My wife and I stayed at Fiesta Americana and we used (and highly recommend) Christi's dive operation, Blue XT Sea: http://bluextseadiving.com/

Trip Report: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=86797

I wore a 3 mil wetsuit for all of my dives. My wife wore a 3 mil shorty with a beanie/hood for her dives. I think you should bring a wetsuit, although like previously stated, personal comfort levels vary.

Some dive operators will provide you with a windbreaker and dry fluffy towels for your surface intervals, so you might not need to bring your own. Check with your operator. If they don't provide, you'll be happy if you have that with you for your surface intervals, so you should bring.

As someone else said above, biodegradable sunblock is good to bring. Knives and gloves are prohibited.

For the evenings, shorts and a short sleeve shirt will do just fine, with sandals. In case any particular evening is a little chilly, a pullover anything will suit you just fine if you're cold.

Bring all of your own gear as opposed to renting. Your operator provides tanks and weights.

Eat breakfast at your resort before diving. Lunch could be either at the resort or in-town after your diving. Every night, you should head into town to eat. Take the taxi.

Use your credit card at the restaurants and any stores you buy from. I used cash for the taxi, dive operator and tips. You can always get more cash from a local atm.

Hopefully, your dive operator will store your gear for you, like mine did. But bring a smaller bag with you on the boat for any of your things that you'll take back and forth with you every day.

I'm sure there's lots more people can tell you to help out. Enjoy your trip.

Michael

Things to bring:
=> Sunscreen
=> Lightweight clothing
=> Like Diveborg said, a dive light. Colors jump when illuminated.
=> C-card, like Bo said!
=> Your own gear if you can, and if you are familiar and it is in good condition.
=> A spirit of adventure
=> A hearty appetite
=> Comfortable shoes
=> Patience
=> A camera or two. One for above the water.
=> A hat (or plan to buy one)
=> A healthy respect for the ocean and it's inhabitants
=> Room in your bags for souvenirs
=> Tip money

What NOT to bring
=> A bad attitude
=> Baggage! (emotional kind)
=> Prejudices
=> Any thoughts about renting Scooters.
=> Whiny brats
=> Electronic Leashes

Just my suggestions and opinions.

Wristshot

Wristshot:
Things to bring:
=> Sunscreen
=> Lightweight clothing
=> Like Diveborg said, a dive light. Colors jump when illuminated.
=> C-card, like Bo said!
=> Your own gear if you can, and if you are familiar and it is in good condition.
=> A spirit of adventure
=> A hearty appetite
=> Comfortable shoes
=> Patience
=> A camera or two. One for above the water.
=> A hat (or plan to buy one)
=> A healthy respect for the ocean and it's inhabitants
=> Room in your bags for souvenirs
=> Tip money

What NOT to bring
=> A bad attitude
=> Baggage! (emotional kind)
=> Prejudices
=> Any thoughts about renting Scooters.
=> Whiny brats
=> Electronic Leashes

Just my suggestions and opinions.

Wristshot

I love your list Wristshot! Particularly anyone coming in the next month or two while thinsg are still in the rebuilding phase. Patience, tolerance, compassion, and reasonable expectations are a must! The diving is still faabulous despite what soeme whiners say :)

NO WHINERS :) I love it!

Can someone confirm the rationale behind "no gloves - no knives"? I heard it was because you are discouraged from grabbing the reef or knifing the reef. Can this be true?

Back
Top Bottom