Diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaboyff

Registered
Reaction score
I plan on staying at the Allegro, Cozumel the end of Feb.
My question is, Do I pre pay for diving at the resort, or should a person pay as you go?
Are there any pros or cons, or whats the best way ?

This is my first time diving in Cozumel, (2 years ago, I did make 2 dives when staying at Reef Club) after I got C-Card.
Any help on this would be of great help.:wink:

IMO I would pay as you go...The reason : if your not feeling well or decide not to dive you will not be out any money...I wouldn't let the dive op attempt to make you believe that they may be "sold out" . There are many dive ops that will be more then happy to pick you up....who are competitive..

I have done both at the Allegro...with no difficulty (I have been diving there each year since 1994 when it was called the Diamond Resort)

If you are ready to go, the hotel website assures us that the resort and the diveshop are also ready!

My wife and I will arrive FEB 8

By the way remember new surcharges also apply for all MC purchases with an added fee for converting from pesos to dollars!!

For cash tranactions there will be a charge for converting from pesos to dollars at the banks or vice versa!

I might bring pesos along, if I can pick them up from AAA with no charge and know that I will be spending all of them.

I really would like to hear what others are doing... dive operators AND divers!

Mike

Thanks Guys !!
Did not know about the MC surcharges, good to know.
What about Visa or Discover, same thing?
Need to get on web and find cost of packages.
Im getting pumped, it been 2 yrs. since we've gone!!

scubaboyff:
Thanks Guys !!
It is all credit cards. Cash or traveler's checks are the best way to pay for diving. Several op's do offer a cash discount.

Hi Mike, You and I are part of an exclusive group--the Diamond. I still have my tee shirt. Too bad we will be there (the Allegro) at different times. I decided to hold off until the end of Feb. to give them some slack in getting the resort ready. I understand that those booked for the Allegro until mid-month will be going to the Occidental Grand instead. When I visited there I thought the rooms and food were definitely nicer than at the Allegro, but I much preferred the beach, activities, grounds, and night goings-on--and so did most of the people that had sampled both resorts. Would love to hear about your trip when you get back.

Jim

One last point re. money and dives. I never bother with pesos. They love dollars in Cozumel, and it's less hassle. I normally get a package of dives at the beginning of dives, and am conservative with the number of dives I commit to. I just add more toward the end of the week as needed. Never have had any left over.

scubaboyff:
I plan on staying at the Allegro, Cozumel the end of Feb.
My question is, Do I pre pay for diving at the resort, or should a person pay as you go?
Are there any pros or cons, or whats the best way ?

This is my first time diving in Cozumel, (2 years ago, I did make 2 dives when staying at Reef Club) after I got C-Card.
Any help on this would be of great help.:wink:

If you are planning to dive with the onsite operator, Dive Palancar then you should be able to pay as you go. They have several big boats, so don't usually sell out in advance. However, you may save money by buying a package vs. paying for each dive as you go.

If you are planning to dive with another operator (offsite), then I highly recommend that you contact them and make reservations. Dive Palancar is a fine operation, and IMO one of the better of the big operations. However, if you are looking for looking for extended bottom times and small groups, they might not be the right choice for you. In that case, I would suggest researching several other operations and find out who has the services/options you are looking for. There are MANY and any of them can pick you up at the Allegro or Occidental Grand.

scubaboyff:
Thanks Guys !!
Need to get on web and find cost of packages.
Im getting pumped, it been 2 yrs. since we've gone!!

Credit Cards on the Island
No one on the island accepts Discover and very few accept AMEX, so you might as well leave those at home. Establishments that DO accept credit cards will usually apply a surcharge because the banks in Mexico charge outrageous merchant fees...this makes accepting credit cards for small businesses almost unrealistic. This is why you'll find that smaller restaurants and businesses just don't accept them.

Dollars vs. Pesos and the best way to convert
DO NOT convert dollars to pesos at the airport in the states before you get here...you'll definitely get a lower exchange rate (i.e.: 9 pesos to the dollar vs. 10.44 pesos to the dollar). I do recommend changing some dollars to pesos once on the island however, as you will get a better exchange rate that way. Although everyone will take dollars, the exchange rate in most places is at a set rate, and it will always be higher then the banks and change house rates. For example, they will have a set rate of 10.5, when the real exchange rate is 10.35. On $100 that costs you an extra $1.50. While it may only be a few dollars here and there, that does add up over the week. So, it's always best to pay for your meals in pesos, hotel in pesos, and souvenirs in pesos. Most dive shops I know of, will give you the real exchange rate for whatever it is that day on the island.

There are change houses ALL over the place and they are almost all owned by the same person, so no need to shop around for a change house with the best rate...they're all the same. The banks are typically the same rate as the change houses, and you will have to stand in line forever. The exchange rate is usually a point or two lower than the actual market rate on Wall Street.

ATM Cards in Cozumel
There are also ATM machines ALL over the place and that's how you will actually get the best exchange rate, because it is YOUR bank setting the exchange rate, which will be the actual market rate for that day, again savings you a point or two on your dollar.

Most ATM machines have a $3000 pesos (currently $287.25 USD) transaction limit, but there is no limit to how many transactions you can make. Some banks (Banamex and Sandafer Serfin and Banorte) have $5000 pesos (currently $478.74 USD) transaction limits, again no limit on how many transactions you can make. So your maximum daily withdrawal limit is set by your bank, not by the bank machine in Mexico. You can always request that they increase your daily withdrawal limit for your trip and then change it back when you get home if you want.

One more thing about transaction fees for ATM's in Cozumel. Remember that they operate with pesos in mind and the $ sign is also the sign for pesos. So, when they ask you if you agree to the $7.50 transaction fee, that is 7.5 pesos, (78 cents). The most I've seen on any machine in Cozumel is $15 pesos ($1.56). YOUR bank in the US however may charge you an out of network transaction fee...for example Wells Fargo charge me $5.00 USD for every transaction. However, if I use my Bank of American ATM card at the Sandafer Serfin, I am only charged the $1.00 fee for the machine.

OK...I hope that's helpful...alot of information, but it will save you some $$ and headaches hopefully!

Back
Top Bottom