Columbia "Bricks"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was going through my photos from my recent trip (returned Thursday night) and was bemused at the sight of the bricks dumped at Palancar being blown by Wilma to Columbia Reef:

columbia-bricks.jpg

This is DM Luis arranging bricks in the sand at Columbia. I don't know how he dives with a hooded vest, because I was c-c-c-old (brr) in my 3mm plus 3mm hooded vest. We saw lots of new stuff uncovered.

redhatmama:
This is DM Luis arranging bricks in the sand at Columbia. I don't know how he dives with a hooded vest, because I was c-c-c-old (brr) in my 3mm plus 3mm hooded vest.

What was the water temperature? Did the cold affect your bottom time?

Were the bricks really moved by the storm? I was there for the first time just a few weeks ago and we saw the bricks at the north end of Columbia which we were told was where Palancar Bricks begins.

Anyway, I'm not overly familiar with the area, but it seems suprising that the cluster of bricks would be moved and then still be all together.

Water temps - I was fine in trunks or a shorty, but ended up in a 3mm full suit (because it worked best with the inherent weight of my backplate) which was more than enough (I had my wrists and legs unzipped a lot). The water temp was 78-80. I can't imagine how people get cold in that water unless you dive 5 times a day, and even then, it's like a bathtub! I can't imagine wearing a hood there.

What happened was Wilma blew away quite a bit of sand exposing more bricks and two anchors as well. Always have been bricks at the bricks but after Wilma quite a few were newly exposed.

I'm not sure if they were moved or uncovered, but I've never seen the bricks before - even at Palancar Bricks. Obviously, they've been buried for 50 years or so as they look almost new. We saw them - and the new anchor - after drifting through Columbia Deep(er). I think the DMs have been gathering them and leaving them in clumps.

Water temp was 78 Suunto degrees, but the surface temp was in the low 70s with a brisk wind. With dive times in excess of an hour, I was freezing at the end of the 2nd dive. During the SI I would pull on a fleece-lined parka over my swimsuit and sit in the sun. It almost killed me to get back into the wetsuit. I would have killed for a 5 mm. I seriously contemplated paying a ridiculous price at the Cressi shop for a 5 or 7. I was wearing a 3 with a 3 hooded vest for 6 at the core and was still cold. I know I'm a Warm Water Wussie!

There's a wee little dive shop called "The Reef" run by a very nice man named Hernan on Avenida 15 entre Calles 5 & 7 that has very good prices. I saw lots of locals shopping there. Hernan is there after 5pm and the shop is opened until 9 I believe, he is quite helpful and doesn't try hard to sell you something but informs you about his products.

Pamela

opalobsidian:
There's a wee little dive shop called "The Reef" run by a very nice man named Hernan on Avenida 15 entre Calles 5 & 7 that has very good prices. I saw lots of locals shopping there. Hernan is there after 5pm and the shop is opened until 9 I believe, he is quite helpful and doesn't try hard to sell you something but informs you about his products.

Pamela

Hernan is AWESOME! He was one of my first friends on the island and remains a good friend still. Hernan actually helped me get all of my tanks in (he handled all of the shipping, customs, everything for me. He is also an authorized Sherwood dealer, so I get all of my rental equipment from him now instead of having to ship it in from the states.

Definitely go by and see him if you need any equipment while on the island. He has Sherwood, Genesis, and Akona and his prices are FAIR.

Pam, Hernan is also an instructor and has a boat. He does alot of private tuff...so he is another option for you to check out for your upcoming needs! He's alot of fun to dive with!

You're meeting all of my buddies on the island...Alejandra, Hernan, there was someone else too...anyway if you need any other recommendations, you know where to find me :)

We dove last Monday and Tuesday (1/16 and 1/17) and it was CHILLY on the boat - everyone was wrapped in towels and some even in light parkas!

I wondered about those bricks as well as we were at Columbia as well - someone had arranged their own little "T" statue with them.

I can hardly wait! I'll be there Friday for a week.

redhatmama:
I was going through my photos from my recent trip (returned Thursday night) and was bemused at the sight of the bricks dumped at Palancar being blown by Wilma to Columbia Reef:

columbia-bricks.jpg

This is DM Luis arranging bricks in the sand at Columbia. I don't know how he dives with a hooded vest, because I was c-c-c-old (brr) in my 3mm plus 3mm hooded vest. We saw lots of new stuff uncovered.

Hope I get a chance to dive Columbia again. As I remember it is a magnificient site. Be interesting to see if it has cahnged due to the storm.

Redhat, women alwasys get colder than men on dives, why?, but the breeze and lower temps on your SI would have made me cold too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom