Hotel Clarification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajanet

Registered
Reaction score
We are staying at Playa Azul in March. We are diving with Dive With Martin. I am not sure where he will pick us up. The Caletta?

How far from the hotel is the Caletta? How long does it take to get there? How much is the cab?

It seems that town is even farther from Playa Azul, so how long does it take to get to town from Playa Azul? How much is the cab?

How far is the Caletta from town? Cab cost?

Would it be better to get a rental car if we are staying at Playa Azul (and diving every day)? If we rent a car, is it difficult to find a place to park in Caletta and in town?

We were originally planning to stay at the Presidente, but had to change. We have never been to Cozumel before, so it is difficult to picture how close/far things are.

If you've never been to Cozumel, and especially if you think you even might rent a car, you need to get the Cozumel map from www.cancunmap.com It is more than just an excellent map, it is also a very good guide to the island.

scubajanet:
We are staying at Playa Azul in March. We are diving with Dive With Martin. I am not sure where he will pick us up. The Caletta?

How far from the hotel is the Caletta? How long does it take to get there? How much is the cab?

It seems that town is even farther from Playa Azul, so how long does it take to get to town from Playa Azul? How much is the cab?

Would it be better to get a rental car if we are staying at Playa Azul (and diving every day)? If we rent a car, is it difficult to find a place to park in Caletta and in town?

We were originally planning to stay at the Presidente, but had to change. We have never been to Cozumel before, so it is difficult to picture how close/far things are.
Wow, Lot's of questions! Im' guessing cab to and from Plau-Azul will be between 15 to 20 bucks rt. For a bit more you could rent a car. 25$ a day plus ins. = 35$ a day. No parking problems at calletta. Calletta about 3 miles south of town. Playa-Azul about 3 miles north of town. These prices and miles are approximate, perhaps someone else will chime in with some more exact info.

scubajanet:

I think that would be a question for the Dive shop. I can tell you however that they will not pick you up at Playa Azul, none of the dive shops do becaue of its far northern location. However, I cannot speak for them as to where their alternate pick-up locations are.

scubajanet:
From your hotel to the Caleta the cab fare would be roughly $10 to $12 round-trip for two people. It is about a 20 to 25 minute ride depending on traffic.

scubajanet:
Town is closer to Playa Azul than the Caleta. Round-trip cab fare to town from the otel will be roughly $5 to $6 each way for two people.

scubajanet:
$5 to $6 each way...half of what it would be from your hotel and half the travel time

scubajanet:
A basic rental car will run you about $40 to $50 per day with insurance, which I HIGHLY recommend, especially never having been to Cozumel and not being familiar with the town. Parking in town is next to impossible, but no problem at the Caleta. A note on renting cars in Cozumel. If you are involved in an accident, and it is your fault, you will not leave the island until your bill (damage to rental car, other party, and any personal injuries) is paid in full, regardless of whether you have insurance in the states. Even if you don't THINK it's your fault, it would not be uncommon for you as the tourist to have the burden of proof. Pay the extra $20 per day and get full coverage here if you rent a car.

To add to Christi's driving in Coz assessment- I just read somewhere else that if alchohol is involved in an accident, accident is automatically your fault, and your insurance is void.

fishoutawater:
To add to Christi's driving in Coz assessment- I just read somewhere else that if alchohol is involved in an accident, accident is automatically your fault, and your insurance is void.

YES, very good point and true! If you are found to be legally intoxicated .09 here, then your insurance will be void and you WILL go to jail for an undetermined period of time.

Something else VERY important to remember here. They follow a very Napoleonic law here. If you are ivolved in an accident, like I said, the burden of proof is really on you.

Here's the other BIG thing. The police have the right to detain you if they feel it is your fault, insurance or not. The injured party must sign a "pardon" at the Administro Publico in order for you to be released. This can get very hairy and if it happens to be a local who isn't so much on the up and up...they will keep you there until you agree to pay what THEY demand.

In August, when a woman ran a stop sign hitting another truck who then ran into me...she was detained even though she had plenty of insurance and her husband is one the the big bank managers in town. I signed the pardon right away because her insurance guy showed up and they signed the documents to get my truck repairs paid for as well as sending me to the hospital to get checked out. However, the other guy she hit, refused to sign the pardon. He wanted more $$ because he knew of her husband's position. His vehicle was a 20 year old, beat-up, already falling apart truck and he basically wanted her to buy him a brand new one. Eventually it was worked out without him taking her to the cleaners, but she was detained for several days.

SO...TAKE the insurance, do not drink and drive, and if you ARE involved in an accident...be respectful and do not become a beligerant American/Canadian/German, etc. Remember you ARE a guest here,and although the laws may seem illogical and unfair at times, that's the law of the land and it's the price we play to live and/or play here.

Christi:
YES, very good point and true! If you are found to be legally intoxicated .09 here, then your insurance will be void and you WILL go to jail for an undetermined period of time.

Something else VERY important to remember here. They follow a very Napoleonic law here. If you are ivolved in an accident, like I said, the burden of proof is really on you.

Here's the other BIG thing. The police have the right to detain you if they feel it is your fault, insurance or not. The injured party must sign a "pardon" at the Administro Publico in order for you to be released. This can get very hairy and if it happens to be a local who isn't so much on the up and up...they will keep you there until you agree to pay what THEY demand.

In August, when a woman ran a stop sign hitting another truck who then ran into me...she was detained even though she had plenty of insurance and her husband is one the the big bank managers in town. I signed the pardon right away because her insurance guy showed up and they signed the documents to get my truck repairs paid for as well as sending me to the hospital to get checked out. However, the other guy she hit, refused to sign the pardon. He wanted more $$ because he knew of her husband's position. His vehicle was a 20 year old, beat-up, already falling apart truck and he basically wanted her to buy him a brand new one. Eventually it was worked out without him taking her to the cleaners, but she was detained for several days.

SO...TAKE the insurance, do not drink and drive, and if you ARE involved in an accident...be respectful and do not become a beligerant American/Canadian/German, etc. Remember you ARE a guest here,and although the laws may seem illogical and unfair at times, that's the law of the land and it's the price we play to live and/or play here.

Might be a good idea if we were a little more Napoleanic with our laws in this Country.

lilycat:
There are. Go to Louisiana much?

(They have a great track record for fairness and lack of corruption, too.)

Lack of corruption? Louisiana? The same Louisiana I come from? That's a joke, right? ;^)

lilycat:
There are. Go to Louisiana much?

(They have a great track record for fairness and lack of corruption, too.)

yeah, I saw some coverage of Mardi Gras and it looked awful. Will not go there till Mayor Nagin is sent out to pasture with the underwater school buses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom