Knife in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishoutawater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, I normally dive in dark cold freshwater lakes and rivers, with lots of fishing line snags. So, I always carry two knives. One on my bc and another small folder stuffed into my bootie.
No, not that bootie! The one on my foot. :D
I only dove in Coz twice about fifteen years ago, and I don't remember if I took a knife or not. I do remember the fabulous visibility, so maybe not seeing a gob of fishing line isn't a problem? Do you Coz experienced divers take one?
Obviously can't have one in my carry on.

Had mine on my BP and my shears too just because they are always there. I doubt you'd ever need it. There's no fishing in the park. I never saw line. No big deal either way I'd say.

Fish_Whisperer:
I kept mine in my check-baggage, dove with it in Coz, never needed it. Your mileage may vary... Have fun!

The "official" rule for the Cozumel Marine Park is "no knife and no gloves except for the wreck dive", but I frequently see divers carrying knives and occasionally with gloves. I have never had use for either, though.

I always carry a folding knife and shears when I dive. I have seen line in the park once or twice. Line on Villa Blanc which is north of the park and on shore dive is fairly common. Vis is such that it is readily avoidable. If you don't do anything you shouldn't be doing with cutting devices, you shouldn't have any problem.

awap:
I always carry a folding knife and shears when I dive. I have seen line in the park once or twice. Line on Villa Blanc which is north of the park and on shore dive is fairly common. Vis is such that it is readily avoidable. If you don't do anything you shouldn't be doing with cutting devices, you shouldn't have any problem.

What if you run into Bad Guys who need their air hoses cut? ;^)

Thanks folks.
I don't have a trip planned just yet. Small snafu. Kinda sux.
I finally have the cash and some accrued vacation time, and I was planning on Coz in March. Problem is, we have this little Chinese pug dog, that since we've had him, has never spent so much as one night without us, and the ONLY people we know well enough to take care of him while we're gone, will be out of town all of March.
And even when we finally do get to leave the dog with them, my wife will be driving me nuts worrying about the dog. International phone calls for the dog and all.
Soooo, I gotta put it on hold a little bit.
I love that little dog, but he sure has altered my lifestyle.

OUTTA HERE!! Have a nice weekend!

ggunn:
What if you run into Bad Guys who need their air hoses cut? ;^)

bite thru it!:hai:

I have always carried a knife, I was taught it was part of my dive equipment, a tool, not a weapon.

I have also gotten snagged on fishing line in the ocean and had to use it.

DM asked me one time if I was planning on killing something that day when he saw me straping it on, but they have never asked me not to carry it. If they did ask me to not carry it, I would respect thier decision and leave it on the boat.

ggunn:
The "official" rule for the Cozumel Marine Park is "no knife and no gloves except for the wreck dive", but I frequently see divers carrying knives and occasionally with gloves. I have never had use for either, though.

Cozumel has more rules than fish. Fortunatley, most of them aren't enforced...which makes one question why they have them.

Number one bizarre Coz rule is the harbor master's tendency to close the harbor to all but aircraft carriers if the waves are taller than about 5 inches. It even goes so far as to say ALL water sports are prohibitted (so don't tell anyone I went snorkelling in the harrowing 6 inch wind chop) I can't imagine why the dive operators allow that, given the impact such ridiculous decisions must have on the economy. I've never been to a place where, even when conditions were clearly safe, and divers wanted to go out, they were prevented from doing so by the great and powerful harbor master.

But like I said...more rules than fish. Great diving, though :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom