probably just another dumb cozumel question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zaf88

Contributor
Reaction score
hi guys, (my 1st post!), im travelling with my 3 cousins who i just got certified. we are going to cozumel but dont know where to stay. we want to dive alot but also want to drink and have fun. we dont have an insane amount of money to spend and inclusives dont usually agree with us. we were looking at plaza las glorias and costa lub but are debating whether its worth the price. if anyone can help id really appreciate it. thanx.

Hi ya zaff, welcome to the board and congrats on certification!

I don't know much about Costa Club, but Plaza las Glorias has been there for years (I did my first dive there after my resort course at the dive shop there years ago). It is about in the same class as La Cieba. Presidente is a 5 star hotel but it could be a little more expensive than you want. I've heard good things about the new Iberostar, but it's all-inclusive only, and it's on the far south side of the island a long way from town. Allegro is close to Iberostar but I wasn't real impressed with their rooms for the price. They are EP plan or all-inclusive, either one. Personally, I like to eat at the fabulous restaraunts in town.

I'm doing the budget hotel thing again this year and staying at Casa del Mar (kind of a Motel 6 with palm trees
:D )

Do some scouting while you're there for the next trip, you will want to go back.

I did my first trip to Coz last month, and can reccomend both the hotel I stayed at, and the dive op.

Hacienda San Miguel: http://www.haciendasanmiguel.com/
It's on the north end of town, quiet, reasonable, with kitchenettes. Very pretty.

Aqua Safari: http://www.aquasafari.com/
Great service, big comfy boats, hip DM's.

I could walk between the two in about 15 minutes (or a $3 cab ride).

Plaza Las Glorias is a good hotel, idealy suited between the great dive sites on the south end, the new party places around the cruise pier and the Plaza in town for excellent food. The pricfe is reasonable although you can do better in town...such as the Hacienda San Miguel already mentioned.

For some newly certified party dewds, I hope you'll balance your alcohol intake and your diving! :wink:

excessive alcohol intake before diving can be easily cured by a good case of decompression sickness.

All kiddin' aside, party but be recovered before diving the next day. (don't go drunken' till 4 a.m. and dive at 8 a.m.)

There was this one time I drank 5 beers between a morning dive and afternoon dive :whoa:,
then I followed the little fishies to 200 ft. before the DM called me up...but that's another story. (Am I alive? What's this chamber thing?)

Just kiddin'

thanks for all the advice about the hotels. by the way, im in dm training right now, i meant that i convinced my 3 cousins to get certified and go on this trip.

the way the post was worded was a little confusing. I wasn't quite sure if you meant that you got them certified or that you and them got certified.

Great on the DM training! I need to get my cpr and first aid stuff re-certed. so I can take the Rescue course, but have been lazy and ain't done it yet. :snore:

Where are you at?

to see if they may have any charters, nothing to Coz from either NYC or LA. Adventure Tours books through travel agents.

Oh well, tried.

:(

Aqua Safari has a hotel located above their dive shop called the Safari Inn. It is obsenely cheap. Something like $40 or $50 per night. It is no frills, no tv, or phone, but is is very clean and the staff are super friendly. You couald also fit 3 or four people to a room. If you are going to do some diving, I would highly recommend it. Plus, if you dive with Aqua Safari, the boat picks you up right across the street. You can basically roll out of bed at 07:55, and be on the boat at 08:00. In addition, it is in walking distance from the town square. (??5 blocks maybe). I have stayed there 10 or 12 times over the years and have had nothing but great experiences with the hotel and the shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom