Kelly's $16 Margarita?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reikopm

Registered
Reaction score
We were charged $16 for a margarita at Kelly's; $64 for the four of us. The regular magarita was $5 but because we specified Don Julio and Grand Marnier the total went way up. We complained to the owner who said Don Julio was $50/bottle and Grand Marnier was $40/bottle so he felt justified, plus the hurricane damage, blah, blah, blah. We argued and he got mad and threw our money on the table, then after 5 minutes came back and insulted us.

We've been surveying other bar/restaurants and have been charged between $6.50 and $8.00.

We came to Cozumel because we wanted to help out Post Wilma but this is ridiculous.

By the way this morning was the kids' costume parade (pre-school and kindergarten). It was tooooooo cute! Opening night was last night, a big party on the plaza. Tonight is the first of the parades.

-R

reikopm:
We were charged $16 for a margarita at Kelly's; $64 for the four of us. The regular magarita was $5 but because we specified Don Julio and Grand Marnier the total went way up. We complained to the owner who said Don Julio was $50/bottle and Grand Marnier was $40/bottle so he felt justified, plus the hurricane damage, blah, blah, blah. We argued and he got mad and threw our money on the table, then after 5 minutes came back and insulted us.
I don't know what pricing is like down in Mexico... but you'd be getting close to $16 for a Don Julio and Grand Marnier margarita in the states. His prices / bottle are pretty close.

reikopm:
We've been surveying other bar/restaurants and have been charged between $6.50 and $8.00.
For the same drink? Or for a standard margarita? Seems like a really big difference. If the drinks were made with Don Julio and Grand Marnier, sounds like you know where to go for cheap ultra premium margaritas, and might avoid Kelly's in the future.

It'd also probably be a good idea to check on the price when you order, rather than be suprised like this again. Alcohol pricing varies substantially, you may have been charged for a shot of each, rather than a mixed drink price, or Kelly's might just be expensive.

Then again, you did order a margarita made with some of the spendiest alcohol possible...

-Brandon.

Cozumel has gotten out of hand on it's prices on some stuff. It used to be this cheap little island that you could go diving on... but they've "grown" into being expensive on many things. I think the cruise boats are part of the reason. The average cruise boat passenger spends $125 per port visit while they are on a cruise. The stores in Cozumel really reflect the cruise industry a lot now.

We paid $16 bucks for two of the worst margaritas I've ever had a Carlos n Charlies the last time I was there. They were so bad that we poured them out.

Cozumel is still great, but a lot of the businesses have their minds only on their wallets.

Well, to put some perspective on this, we were charged $25.00 for two rather small bugers, and two gatoraides while sking recently at WinterPark/Jane!! :11doh: I could have got the same meal at a Burger King for $4 :D

When you go to a tourist based resort area, you can not expect great deals even if you can get them at times. Ask before you order, and if you feel you must drink premium drinks, expect to pay a premium price.

I'm not surprized to discover you can get a Grand Marnier margarita for $8.00, but not with Tequila that sells for between $50-$60 for 750ml. When you specify such an expensive Tequila, I'm not sure that $16 is actually THAT overpriced. Consider that a rail drink is generally around $5, and that uses one shot of booze that can be purchased at under $20 for 1.75l

So were the drinks good? :05:

mike_s:
Cozumel is still great, but a lot of the businesses have their minds only on their wallets.

Just for the sake of argument, what else should a business have its mind on?

If a business overcharges for its goods, the customer takes his dollars down the street, which is bad for that business' wallet. It's short-sighted.

OTOH, I have no clue what a top shelf margarita should cost. A Leon Negra for me, please.

RonFrank:
So were the drinks good? :05:

Too much Grand Marnier, not enough tequila. Kelly's mixes 1 to 1; I prefer my margarita made 2 to 1, with fresh lime juice, not a mix. Shaken until icy, and strained, sin sal.

But yes, lesson learned, ask before purchasing. Though I did not order the drinks, in my opinion fine tequila should be drunk straight up. Why ruin it with lime juice, orange liquer, and ice?

-R

reikopm:
Too much Grand Marnier, not enough tequila. Kelly's mixes 1 to 1; I prefer my margarita made 2 to 1, with fresh lime juice, not a mix. Shaken until icy, and strained, sin sal.

Shaken, not stirred... ;^)

It's not just a Cozumel thing.

My buddy paid $5 for a glass of chocolate milk in Alexandria Bay, NY. A gallon is only maybe $2 and change in the store . . .

Terry

reikopm:

We came to Cozumel because we wanted to help out Post Wilma but this is ridiculous.

By the way this morning was the kids' costume parade (pre-school and kindergarten). It was tooooooo cute! Opening night was last night, a big party on the plaza. Tonight is the first of the parades.

-R

I'v never been to Kelly's, don't think I even know where it's at.

Fortunately for me I DO know the way to Coconuts!!:chicken:

I would say why put expensive French orange brandy, Grand Mariner and expensive Tequila in a mixed drink, both are best straight up. I stick with Triple Sec and bar tequila even in Mexico.

It would be like using aged scotch whiskey in a mixed drink or having a 18 year old Canadian rye whiskey with Coke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom