Arriving in COZ 3/17/06 with no hotel reservations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianM

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, It's vacation time!! My buddy John rebooked a trip he had to cancel over thanksgiving and now I decided to tag along, so I need to find us a room in Coz from 3-17 to 3-27. This is my first trip to cozumel so I dont even know where to look or what areas to ask for.

We are both around 40 and neither of us drink alcohol, so the nightlife isn't a big deal. Just need a place with 2 rooms or 2 beds if I cant get a separate room. Anyone have a good suggestion?

I am also looking for someplace to book my dives as he is already setup to get his trimix cert with a tech outfit and I don't feel like doing tech dives on my very first coz trip, I want to see the sites!!

Thanks

In town try Casa Mexicana $110 or Suites Bahia $70 per night. $ 40 a nite is basic hotel in town El Marques or Colonial. All 4 in town near all kinds of Cafés.
South of town is Hotel Cozumel $150 per nite AI. Caribe Blu $80 per nite. Hotel Villablanca $65
Try www.travelnotes.cc they book Cozumel at discount.

Dive operators with small fast boats fill up fast especially during spring break.
Try www.bottomtimedivers.net $70 for a 2, tank Raul is a good guy to see stuff.
www.bluextseadivers.com $70 for a 2 tank, Christi
www. liquidebluedivers.com $90 for a 2 tank, they use larger tanks 10-15 min more bottom time with those, Michaela and Roberto

I just got back from a great trip to Coz. We dove with Aldora Divers, and they were excellent!

They also have lodging available for folks who are booked to dive with them @ Villa Aldora.

Give Dave or Memo a call at the shop.

Check out Hotel Vista Del Mar, $65 (in Dec when we were there) with a balcony looking at the Caribbean. It is probably a little more expensive now being the peak season. It was clean, good service and the location is great, it's right on Rafeal Melgar between calles 5th and 7th just 3 blocks from the main square. Also there is a pier right across the street, if your dive op picks up there (blue XT Sea did).
Check out their website:http://www.hotelvistadelmar.com/presentacion.htm

DO NOT stay at the VillaBlanca, just came back on Sunday, 2/26. Hotel has bedbugs and were not helpful, not too mention that their food prices are very expensive. Stay at Carib Blue. Rooms are wonderful, inexpensive and Blue Angel Dive Shop is awesome, try to dive with Jorge as your divemaster. Anita and Alejandra have a great operation and were very helpful to us when there. Rendevous Rest. is above the Dive shop, has great french toast, lunch is terrific and both meals can cost less than $10.00 per person.

Next to the vista del Mar and the Casa Mexicana is the Safari Inn above Aqua Safari dive shop. doubles are $ 40 and they have rooms with up to 5 seperate beds.
The dock across the street is Aqua Safari's. Good deal.

mike&bethc:
DO NOT stay at the VillaBlanca, just came back on Sunday, 2/26. Hotel has bedbugs and were not helpful, not too mention that their food prices are very expensive. Stay at Carib Blue. Rooms are wonderful, inexpensive and Blue Angel Dive Shop is awesome, try to dive with Jorge as your divemaster. Anita and Alejandra have a great operation and were very helpful to us when there. Rendevous Rest. is above the Dive shop, has great french toast, lunch is terrific and both meals can cost less than $10.00 per person.

I was at Villablanca Feb 15-20 and had a great experience. We had a "Superior Oceanview" room with a terrific ocean view. The room was very clean and there were no bugs of any kind. (Having made many trips to Mexico, this was very rare). The interaction we had with the staff was friendly. The only problem we had was that the valve on the back of the toilet tank was leaking one day and we came back from diving to a big puddle. It was taken care of within an hour and we had no further problems. We only ate one breakfast at their restaurant on our last morning. I wouldn't bother with that again. It was way too slow (40 min for an omlette and french toast), and when the food came it was ice cold and the omlette only had one of the 4 fillings. Since we had a fridge, microwave, coffee pot, dishes and a large dining table in the room, we went to Chedraui and got food for breakfasts and that worked great for our dive days.

We were supposed to stay at Casa del Mar but they cancelled us when they moved back their reopening. I'd read so many mixed reviews about Villablanca that I didn't know what to expect. It was a pleasant surprise. I felt that Villablanca was a good value and that what we got for the $65/nt I paid was well worth it. I would stay here again. We've stayed at Hotel Cozumel (good location but overpriced for the rooms and amenities) and Fiesta Americana (too far south, too noisy around the pool and not really worth the price).

rje634:
Check out Hotel Vista Del Mar, $65 (in Dec when we were there) with a balcony looking at the Caribbean. It is probably a little more expensive now being the peak season. It was clean, good service and the location is great, it's right on Rafeal Melgar between calles 5th and 7th just 3 blocks from the main square. Also http://www.hotelvistadelmar.com/presentacion.htm[/URL]

I agree generally with your comments on this hotel, and add that the staff seemed very nice. In mid-February, we stayed in the second floor oceanfront room on the north end; the room was directly over a shop on which construction was happening, and it was noisy as hell; perhaps the construction is finished now. And one day, the hot water was out for most of the day. But the worst part was that this particular room had a step up into the bathroom (another guest said their room did not have that step); that may not sound like much, but when you're half-asleep,....ow!

Still, having the balcony was nice, for both the ocean view and the people watching. I never have figured out how the locals can put four people on a small motorcycle.

Bill

Valwood1:
I agree generally with your comments on this hotel, and add that the staff seemed very nice. In mid-February, we stayed in the second floor oceanfront room on the north end; the room was directly over a shop on which construction was happening, and it was noisy as hell; perhaps the construction is finished now. And one day, the hot water was out for most of the day. But the worst part was that this particular room had a step up into the bathroom (another guest said their room did not have that step); that may not sound like much, but when you're half-asleep,....ow!

Still, having the balcony was nice, for both the ocean view and the people watching. I never have figured out how the locals can put four people on a small motorcycle.

Bill
I pretty sure we stayed in the same room in the beginning of Dec., I can't believe that they are still working on that jewlery shop!!
But when we were there there was contruction noise everywhere so it didn't really matter.
The balcony was great, hook for drying dive gear and sitting out there with a beer while people watching was always entertaining. Gotta love the pod people.

Will be at the Hotel Barracuda 3/21 thur 3/26 diving with Dive Paradise
if you want to catch a night dive, come see us

Back
Top Bottom