Hotel Barracuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone been to the Hotel Barracua since Wilma? The website shows some upgrades, and it looks pretty nice. We used to stay at the Plaza Las Glorias before the Palace Resorts took over and it was perfect for us (way too expensive now). Location to town, dive boat pick up, good lunch & margaritas at the pool, nice rooms facing the sea. It looks like the Barracuda has all of that, but I really want to hear from someone who's been there.

Any help?

squarepants:
Anyone been to the Hotel Barracua since Wilma? The website shows some upgrades, and it looks pretty nice. We used to stay at the Plaza Las Glorias before the Palace Resorts took over and it was perfect for us (way too expensive now). Location to town, dive boat pick up, good lunch & margaritas at the pool, nice rooms facing the sea. It looks like the Barracuda has all of that, but I really want to hear from someone who's been there.

Any help?

I haven't been there (yet). We're staying there in May. I talked to Keith (their OK-based reservation agent) and he confirmed the new pool/restaurant is complete, and the rooms have been renovated. He also said the prices will be rising significantly for the next high season (presumably to reflect the updates). I have to admit, the new pool bar looks great.

Hopefully someone will post a recent trip report on the 'Cuda.

I haven't stayed there, but I did go to the no-name bar one afternoon for a beer last week. There were lots of people who appeared to be hotel guests and they all looked reasonably happy! Area is nice and clean and dock appears operational. There appeared to be entry for shore diving also. Hotel is freshly painted and I thought things looked spiffy.

I'm going to try and post a picture that I took Thursday. I hope this works.

I hope it's not a faux pas to bump threads on this board. /..\

Just wondering if anyone's experienced the newly refurbished Hotel Barracuda in the last few months. It looks pretty cute.

I've been trying to get reservations there for Oct/Nov, but most websites say there is no availability. Either they're wrong, or the Hotel Barracuda is so amazingly refurbished that they are packing them in.

squarepants:
I hope it's not a faux pas to bump threads on this board. /..\

Just wondering if anyone's experienced the newly refurbished Hotel Barracuda in the last few months. It looks pretty cute.

I've been trying to get reservations there for Oct/Nov, but most websites say there is no availability. Either they're wrong, or the Hotel Barracuda is so amazingly refurbished that they are packing them in.

"Yak" posted a trip report with lots of photos. Looked pretty good. Do a search of his posts and you should find it.

I saw it from the water and the street when I was in Cozumel a few weeks ago. I think Wilma just may have been the best thing that happened to the Barracuda.

Did you try www.travelnotes.cc? They book it. www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/hotels/barracuda.php

Either go directly to their website: www.hotelbarracuda.com or call them 1-866-327-1389. You can also e-maol at cudacozumel@aol.com I just got back from the 2006 Long Beach scuba show, and I have a flyer in front of me as I'm typing (OK, sort of to the right and in front...at a diagonal :rofl:).

Anyway...from April 16 to Dec 15, 2006, they have a dive package that goes like this: 7 nights for $479.00 (based on double occupancy, blah, blah, blah), although that may be for OW certification...anyway, there's another rate from Sept to Nov, 2006 that says the same 7 nights, 5 day, 2 tank diving (14 gets 2 free) for $469

So, they're apparently back in business.

I have some information also on Hotel Cozumel that I'll post on another thread.

Cheers :cheers:
Doug

I haven't stayed there but I did tour the updated Barracuda when I was there in April. The beach club was very nice--the pool bar looks awesome, lots of loungers and umbrellas and a nice water entry area.

There have clearly been updates to the hotel: there is a distinct fresh paint smell, the lobby furniture is all new and the outside is a lovely burnt orange, á lá the old Plaza las Glorias. There are still areas of the hotel that need work, but they obviously did the smart thing and did the rooms and beach club first.

The room I was shown was pretty small and dark and I was surprised to note that there was a regular wooden door going out to the balcony instead of the sliding glass door most hotels have. But once we opened the door and the curtain, the room was nice and bright. In the room I saw, it would be very cramped if there were 2 people staying there--not much room for storage. Perhaps I saw one of the smaller ones.

All rooms do have a balcony that faces the ocean--it's just that some of the balconies (and rooms) are bigger than others. I don't know how you get one of the bigger ones--either ask when you reserve or tip the front desk when you check in.

I'm sure they have availability--you'll probably have to call them directly and ask. Good luck!

I'm glad I bumped my original message. Lots of good replies for me to consider. Thank you all!

I just booked three rooms at the Barracuda for mid-September. Did it all over email with Juan.

He also informed me that Jeannie's Waffles is open again!

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom