DAN Coverage in Cozumel - GOOD News!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just got off the phone with Heidi Piccolo of Hiperbarica De Cozumel, which is located in Clinica San Miguel on Calle 6 between Av. 5 and Av. 10

As I have mentioned several times before, and just again for clarification, Dr. Piccolo is in no way related to the SSS Chambers. In fact, Dr. Piccolo is the registered DAN facility in Cozumel, NOT the SSSI Chamber.

Dr. Piccolo has been working very closely with DAN during all of the SSS drama, and has reached an agreement with DAN regarding fees and payments. As always, Dr. Piccolo's chamber will continue accepting DAN and they will file your claim for you without problems.

Heidi relayed some additional information to me about the SSS situation, which brought many things to light regarding that chamber and the owner and previous owner.

Additionally, Dr. Piccolo has a chamber in Playa del Carmen and is working to form a network with the chamber in Cancun so that all of Q. Roo will be covered with this network by DAN. For more information on this, please contact Heidi Piccolo at meditur@cozumel.com.mx and for information on this chamber http://cozumelmexico.net/services/Cozumel-hyperbaric-chamber.htm

I hope this will ease some minds about DAN coverage in Cozumel....you WILL be covered and your claim will be filed for you!

I am very glad DAN and Dr. Piccolo have reached a fair and equitable agreement for both parties!! This has always been my preferred Dr. and chamber in Cozumel...and of course will continue to be!

Maybe a Mod can make this sticky since it has been such a topic of concern!

Christi:
since it has been such a topic of concern!

Dr. Piccolo has been working very closely with DAN during all of the SSI drama, and has reached an agreement with DAN regarding fees and payments. As always, Dr. Piccolo's chamber will continue accepting DAN and they will file your claim for you without problems.

What are you saying?

Is there still a certain chamber there that will not accept DAN? Is this a different operation? A bit confusing.

RoatanMan:
What are you saying?

Is there still a certain chamber there that will not accept DAN? Is this a different operation? A bit confusing.

Have you missed all the drama lately with DAN and the SSI chambers? It's al over the board...in this forum and the Basic Scuba Discussion forum.

Dr. Piccolo is a completely seperate entity as I stated in my post. He DOES accept DAN and WILL cover all diving emergencies.

I'm really glad to hear all of this Christy and I'm sure it will put all of us with DAN insurance at ease. :D Now let's all dive safe and never need it!

Matt

I for one have had up close and personal experience with both DAN and Dr. Piccilo. They are both tops in my books. We had some minor problems with DAN at first but that was all worked out and everything was covered. DAN even paid the wire transfer fees from my bank.

Not to hijack here....but I also got word from John Moore of Dive BARBDOS and there is no problem with the chamber there in BARBADOS and DAN.

Plus...I got an email from DAN today saying that even at an SSS chamber....DAN is good even with them with NO out of pocket costs for the insured. Yes, DAN and SSS are having squabbles...but supposedly not to degree it effects a DAN customer.

rich

In case you missed it - from a Sticky thread in Basic Scuba Forum...
DocVikingo:
Mauricio Moreno has sold 6 of the 9 SSS chambers involved in the dispute. He still owns those in Nassau, Cancun & Cabo San Lucas, and they're still not playing ball, but they're on the market. DAN has arrived at a payment agreement with the owners of the 6 sold units, although the amount of reimbursement is substantially above DAN's reasonable & customary fees.

For those heading to Thailand, the Phuket & Koh Samui facilities are in the clear for the DAN insured among you. For the CZM bound, this means that now both the SSS and Hyperbarica Cozumel facilites are accepting DAN.

Regarding the 3 SSS chambers that have yet to make peace with DAN, the following DAN assurance remains in force---> http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=734

In the meantime, Moreno is playing dirty; along with the gratuitous attacks on DAN for its for-profit subsidiaries and performance as a non-profit organization that appear on SSS's website and last email, he has deposed a silly number of DAN, NBS & AGI personnel and even named some in the suit. The suit is scheduled to go to trial in early May, but it's going to mediation in a couple of weeks and it seems hopeful that all will be ironed out during that proceeding.

Stay tuned.

DocVikingo
:D

Back
Top Bottom