Good Bye Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

domino22

Contributor
Reaction score
It is sad for me to make this post. I have been traveling to Cozumel since 1978, in that time I have made over 20+ trips last September and last week. Last weeks trip tore my heart out, my favorite close place to go and dive is no longer the Coz I came to love. Some of my favorite reefs are left in ruble where even the dive boats will no longer go to. One DM called it a train wreck. Very far south at Punta Sur thier are some decent diving, and if you go very far north Baracuda it is a little bit ok. But everthing in between if not covered in sand is damaged, and it is very sad to look at what was and what is left. I must say the locals took great care to get the place back and up and running while some folks in LA are still standing with their hand out for free goverment help! If you never dove Cozumel go if you are a Coz Vet it will bring a tear to your eye. I will not be back for a long time, my dream dive spot was taken away from me and others who love the place and the people! I have since filed a complaint to GOD and mother nature and no responce has been recieved as of today. This damm act of nature will have a impact on people lives and those who care for them. I wish the best for Cozumel and all the friends I have made there over the last 20+ years. I hope someday I will be able to return. domino22

I guess I stumbled on this message first. Also guessing it will be followed by some major flames.
I won't toss the first match, but will only add perspective of a relatively recent victim of OCD (obsessive Cozumel disorder).
My bride and I were there when Wilma came smashing ashore, on our second trip to this wonderful island.
The force of nature was like nothing we'd ever experienced, and never hope to again.
But in that place and time, a bond was formed. A bond with the people who left their homes and families to help us through the storm. A bond with the island.
I believe these ties will last much longer than the effects of the hurricane.
Cozumel has seen such devastation long before we were here, and will long after we're gone.
We will be back. Repeatedly. And what a lesson it will be for our grandchildren of nature's course.
Craig-

domino22:
It is sad for me to make this post. I have been traveling to Cozumel since 1978, in that time I have made over 20+ trips last September and last week. Last weeks trip tore my heart out, my favorite close place to go and dive is no longer the Coz I came to love. Some of my favorite reefs are left in ruble where even the dive boats will no longer go to. One DM called it a train wreck. Very far south at Punta Sur thier are some decent diving, and if you go very far north Baracuda it is a little bit ok. But everthing in between if not covered in sand is damaged, and it is very sad to look at what was and what is left. I must say the locals took great care to get the place back and up and running while some folks in LA are still standing with their hand out for free goverment help! If you never dove Cozumel go if you are a Coz Vet it will bring a tear to your eye. I will not be back for a long time, my dream dive spot was taken away from me and others who love the place and the people! I have since filed a complaint to GOD and mother nature and no responce has been recieved as of today. This damm act of nature will have a impact on people lives and those who care for them. I wish the best for Cozumel and all the friends I have made there over the last 20+ years. I hope someday I will be able to return. domino22
My dive buddy said I posted this on the wrong place. Cozumel is in Mexico last time I looked/ A moderator has my permission to move it to the Coz forum but it should be in both places. domino22

ckofabq:
I guess I stumbled on this message first. Also guessing it will be followed by some major flames.
I won't toss the first match, but will only add perspective of a relatively recent victim of OCD (obsessive Cozumel disorder).
My bride and I were there when Wilma came smashing ashore, on our second trip to this wonderful island.
The force of nature was like nothing we'd ever experienced, and never hope to again.
But in that place and time, a bond was formed. A bond with the people who left their homes and families to help us through the storm. A bond with the island.
I believe these ties will last much longer than the effects of the hurricane.
Cozumel has seen such devastation long before we were here, and will long after we're gone.
We will be back. Repeatedly. And what a lesson it will be for our grandchildren of nature's course.
Craig-
I too agree I will be back but it will take more time for me.

domino22:
If you never dove Cozumel go if you are a Coz Vet it will bring a tear to your eye. I will not be back for a long time, my dream dive spot was taken away from me and others who love the place and the people! I domino22

So...
In so many words, love the place, love the people, tough luck guys, see ya later.
Cold, man.
Just one guy's opinion.

ya alittle cold you are correct. I did go to see for myself after what happened did my my dives spent my money around town and in the hotels saw the reefs and ya I guess I am cold! Sorry what happend there but I get only so much time off a year to dive and they got my support for many years, even went this time to see for my self wanted to make sure of the posts i saw I did you want me to go back any time soon I will send you the account # to send me the $$. I know my post of what i saw was gonna bring out the do gooders and save coz at all costs go for it! Cozumel diving for vets like me is gone live with it,period!

domino22:
I know my post of what i saw was gonna bring out the do gooders and save coz at all costs go for it! Cozumel diving for vets like me is gone live with it,period!
So why did you post on SB? To hear "Go for it!"? OK, You go, Man! Hey, it's cool with me.

(I know I know...don't feed the trolls, but loving Cozumel like I do, I HAD to respond.)

I guess some people go through their lives never looking forward and only looking backward. While many of the reefs are now covered with sand, there are also some areas on the reefs that have opened up, making the reef system around Cozumel like new. It's a shame that there's nothing more to Cozumel for some people than reefs (or trinkets, if you happen to be a pod person) and that friendships are less important than diving that is still probably among the top ten diving destinations in the world. I've had the opportunity to dive other areas, but have always opted to return to Cozumel. I have friends there (and seem to acquire new friends every trip) and would give up an entire week of diving to be able to visit with my friends and have the opportunity to make new friends.

Personally, I like to dive, but I actually felt fortunate to have gotten an ear injury that kept me out of diving for two days on my recent vacation. It gave me some time topside to explore and meet new people and try new things.

domino22, since it seems to be your precious vacation time and the diving that matters to you most, perhaps you should consider a liveaboard for your next vacation? I'm not knocking free speech, but geez! I'm not sure whether your post is an overly dramatic lamentation of the loss of YOUR diving destination, or if you're just looking to stir up the hornet's nest of Coz-lovers, but either way, I wish you the best of luck and hope you can get some grief counseling.

Hey domino22,
Thanks for the candid dive report. I'm sure that the places you dove didn't look as you remembered, but let me post a quote from a friend of mine who has also been going since the 70's:

"We went down to Cozumel for a week the last of Jan. just to see how badly the hurricane had damaged things. We didn't think most of the reefs looked bad at all. Some were damaged but there seemed to be even more fish and other life. It was nice diving and we were on the boat by ourselves for the entire week."

I can only imagine what the reefs looked like when Gilbert took them out in 88' - some friends have described it. The beautiful Cozumel reefs will be back soon because God looks after them, and in the meantime, it sounds like there a lot of critters swimming around down there for our enjoyment. I hope to be back to the place that so many Texas divers take for granted in the next few months.

We were there for the first time in February, and though we don't have the pre-comparison, and have to admit that we loved it. The reefs may be damaged, but they also appeared to be thriving. We saw coral, aquatic life, and had a great time. In fact we had so much fun we are going back next week and bringing an additional four divers with us.

Sorry to hear that your "dream" vacation is ruined. But ultimately that is your loss. For your departure from Cozumel just frees up a room to be filled by someone else... or in this case 6 other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom