Some thoughts on a 4th trip to Coz 3/4-3/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
Although I have dived with Blue Angel in the past, this is the first time I have stayed at the Caribe Blue Hotel as well. I have to say that I liked the setup a lot. It was very convenient to just leave my room and walk down to the dock and get on the boat. The Caribe Blue has very large rooms, all with beautiful views of the ocean. The only issue was with the shower: the water was either scorching hot, or cold. I could never get a good mix. It should also be noted that there is a lot of construction going on in and around the hotel (which is to be expected). There were jack hammers and chainsaws going throughout the day, everyday but Sunday. The noise was so loud at times that I could not hear my buddy's voice talking to me on the balcony. Nevertherless, it was a mostly enjoyable experience all in all and I would stay there again.

Having dived with Blue Angel in the past I knew pretty much whatt to expect. I always found them to be a very reasonably priced, no frills, safety conscious dive operation. This trip was no exception. While they do tend to load the boats up, I do not mind being a little crowded when the price point is so low. I was paying 85 dollars a day for my share of the room plus a 2 tank dive daily. You just can't beat those prices.

The Diving: I dove 5 days (my plan was to dive 7 days, but I cut it short). Site visited were Punta Sur (devil's throat), Tortugas, Chun Cha Kab, Delila, Santa Rosa Wall, Tormentos, Los Palmas, Palancar Bricks, Palancar Gardens, and Punta Tunich. I thought the damage caused by Wilma was very widespread, and even affected deep sites sites like Punta Sur. The only site which seemed unaffected to me was Chun Cha Kab. While there is a lot of coral damage, it's the sand covering so much of the reefs that really strikes you. Santa Rosa Wall was virtually completely covered, at least the portion that we dove. Yucab, which is one of my favorite reefs, apparantly isn't even dove anymore. At least Blue angel wouldn't take us there. After two requests they said "no one is diving Yucab right now." I just kept thinking that if the sites that they are taking people to have that much damage, how bad a shape must Yucab be in? I posted questions about Yucab before I left but got no responses. I really loved that reef, it was so lush and pristine.

I thought the fish life was somewhat below that of years past with the exception of Tormentos which was loaded with fish. The visibility was good, but again, not like past trips. I imagine this is the residual results of the hurricane? I have to say that Tortugas was a very fun, and different, dive. It is across the water (near Playa?) with very high current. There is no ref to speak of but we saw HUGE turtles who didn't mind you getting up close to them. I have never did this dive before and didn't know it even existed, but I highly recommend it.

The Food: As always.....excellent. Restaurants eaten at were El Morro (twice), Los Palmas, Conchita Del Caribe, Casa Dennis, La Morena,El Pique, Costa Brava, French Quarter, and La Lobsteria. El Morro continues to be my favorite on the island. This time I tried the zacarius special: OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!!! I would not go back to Lobsteria again, not that it was terrible, it just wasn't that great on an island with plenty of great restaurants. By the way, the food at the caribe blue I thought was fair at best.

Does anyone recall the damage caused by Gilbert to the reefs and how long it took for them to rebound? I would be interested in a comparison to get a gauge on assessing how long it may take for the reefs to rebound now. ANyway, there it is. If anyone has any questions you can feel free to im me and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

Thanks for the nice report. Yeah, Cribe Blue is a nice, economy hotel. I like it, staying there next month.
sleeping-smiley-011.gif

Great report! Looks like we just missed you! (My mouth is still burning from the salsa at El Moro)

Hi there. Your experience largely reflects mine (see my report posted a few weeks ago). Tortugas is a great dive - I have probably done it about a dozen times. It's even better during the summer when the tarpon are there. Not a lot of ops go there - Blue Angel is one that does....I'm surprised they haven't taken you there before.

I did answer your post about Yucab as I did dive it a couple of weeks ago. The DM wanted to check out a couple of divers on the boat new to him. His comment to me was "it's a good place to take divers who might not have good skills - there's not a lot left to damage if someone's fin hits the coral."

nikyyo:
I thought the damage caused by Wilma was very widespread, and even affected deep sites sites like Punta Sur. The only site which seemed unaffected to me was Chun Cha Kab. While there is a lot of coral damage, it's the sand covering so much of the reefs that really strikes you. Santa Rosa Wall was virtually completely covered, at least the portion that we dove. Yucab, which is one of my favorite reefs, apparantly isn't even dove anymore. At least Blue angel wouldn't take us there. After two requests they said "no one is diving Yucab right now." I just kept thinking that if the sites that they are taking people to have that much damage, how bad a shape must Yucab be in? I posted questions about Yucab before I left but got no responses. I really loved that reef, it was so lush and pristine.

Thank you for an objective report....it's good to see the pros and cons as we're planning a trip in May. Much appreciated.

I was also at the Blue Caribe at the same time as nikyyo although diving with another operator. I would echo nikyyo's comments about the diving and add that Barracuda reef in the North was probably the highlight of the diving..unlimited Viz and close to pristine reef conditions. San Juan for the most part was also a good dive (albeit a fast ride), but near the end there is significant damage.

The real reason I wanted to post this before my complete trip report is to re-inforrce nikyyo's comments regarding the construction noise at Blue Carribe. I wish I would have been aware of the amount of construction at the property. It started at 7:00am every day (except Sunday) and continued most of the day...around 4-5pm. It made enjoying the patio, pool, and beach area impossible. The noise came from a combination of building construction next door (a boat yard I think), expansion of the dock, and a third crew repairing and expanding the sea wall. The building constrcution next door involved a jackhammer most of the time and made even conversation difficult. Dockworkers were using chainsaws and the seawall repair involved a hammer and chisel. Not a place to relax before or after diving. Feel free to PM if you want more detail reading the activity, just be warned about Caribe Blue. I am sure most of the time it is a wonderful and economical place to stay...it is really well situated for Divers within walking distance to town. However, with this activity on-going I would stay elsewhere.

I was there at the same time I can confirm the jackhammer-the chain saw used in unigue ways and the hammer and chisel. Glad you posted first I do not have much butt left for folks to go after anymore. I was impressed with the wall of concrete that ended up at the check in counter sitting on its side. I think they will keep it there as a reminder of what had happened there, I hope to see it sitting there for years to come. And I mean that in a good way. I do like the Caribe Blue great place good setup nice rooms but that jack hammer was getting on my nerves. I would also add the owners used their own money to put the place back together and get their folks working and not wait on Mexican INS CO to pay out they are hurting allot of folks who need that money to rebuild.

We want to support Cozumel's community in its recovery, but I can see where a jackhammer & other concrete construction noises would be irritating while trying to relax. I usually carry ear plugs to offer to roomies for my snoring; I'll have a private room this time, but take them for my own use. :D

Hi Don Good To hear from you. I have sleep apena and sleep with a machine at night keeps my heart from stopping and stops my snoring. I would slip the jack hammer guy $5 to sleep in late.IMHO

nikyyo:
Santa Rosa Wall was virtually completely covered, at least the portion that we dove. Yucab, which is one of my favorite reefs, apparantly isn't even dove anymore. I just kept thinking that if the sites that they are taking people to have that much damage, how bad a shape must Yucab be in? I really loved that reef, it was so lush and pristine.
I feel your sorrow....those were always favorite sites of mine. I will be diving Coz in 24days thanks for sharing your report and preparing me. I have repeatedly informed my family to sprinkle my ashes over Santa Rosa wall when I leave this life behind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom