Bringing a non-diver, any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My usual dive buddy (husband) can't make the next trip with me. My non-diver sister said she'd like to come. She knows I will be diving and probably not back until at least 1:30. She's not someone who will want to spend all day at a beach or hours on end shopping. Since all my Coz trips have been dive trips I hate to admit, but I haven't really done a whole lot on the island. I'd love to have her come with me, but I'm not sure there will be enough for her to do. If you travel with a non-diver, what activities do they do while you're diving?

My wife stays on the beach and gets very dark. She also makes Margaritas and other mixed drinks. We have four daughters and out of them none dive yet, I am waiting for the 8 year old to turn 10. She seems interested in joining her old man :D I do a lot of shore dives, not that great but I figure that I enjoy the time with the family too. I know a lot of the boats in Florida will take out the non-divers and they can snorkle while you dive. Just check with the local charters and see if they allow that.

scubawife:
If you travel with a non-diver, what activities do they do while you're diving?

Easy - enrol them in the dive school.
:D

Tassie_Rohan:
Easy - enrol them in the dive school.
:D

Agree...a non-diver is just a diver that hasn't been converted yet...:D

The museum is very interesting and you could meet her for a late lunch.
People watching along the waterfront.
She could spend the morning on the beach on the east side, you could rendevous for lunch and then see the ruins at San Gervaisio on the way back.
Some dive shops use the various beach clubs on the south end of the island for Surface intervals. Most SI's are an hour so you could snorkle together.

I assuming she does not want dive lessons, pitty...
So she can rent a moped and tour the island or by ferry to Playa Del Carmen and from there go see pyramids (Chichen Izta, Coba, Tulum), cenoties, or one of the big eco parks like Xcaret or Xel-Ha. Just becareful buying tours out of Plya Del Carmen 50% of the the "travel agents" are really slimmy timeshare salesmen. Most of these place can be reached from PDC on a $2 ride on a collective bus.

She loves swimming and does other activities, but due asthma, diving isn't something she wants to try. That would be the easy option, but it's not gonna happen.

She likes horseback riding, thought the ATVs or jeep tours looked fun. Anyone have any experience with either? Can you recommend a good operator?

My wife tells me there is more to life than diving. Some people can find something to do in the middle of a desert, but a normal person should be able to find plenty to do in Coz. If she can't fill her time there...

There are plenty of snorkeling opportunites and land-based tours. You could stay at an all-inclusive and she could lounge around the pool eating and drinking. Or just sleep late.

BTW, why is it your role to find something for her to do or decide if there is enough to do?

ReefHound:
My wife tells me there is more to life than diving. Some people can find something to do in the middle of a desert, but a normal person should be able to find plenty to do in Coz. If she can't fill her time there...

There are plenty of snorkeling opportunites and land-based tours. You could stay at an all-inclusive and she could lounge around the pool eating and drinking. Or just sleep late.

BTW, why is it your role to find something for her to do or decide if there is enough to do?

It's not. Of course she can decide what she wants to do and make plans accordingly. I'm just asking what other people's experiences are with bringing non-divers with them - what tours or activities they've enjoyed. We don't share diving as an interest, which is what I go to Coz to do, usually with other divers. I don't think she'd decide to go to Coz if it wasn't with me. And yeah, I would feel bad if her one vacation in 3 yrs wasn't a good one.

You can go with her to play mini-golf at Sally's after diving. Lush beautiful course and they give you a walkie-talkie to order more beer delivered to the hole you are playing. The more you drink, the more fun it is :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom