Where did it go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Misplaced Priority

Contributor
Reaction score
First let me start by saying that I appreciate many of the positions on cruise ships. I really don't care for them myself. That said, my wife advised me some time ago that we would be taking a cruise on April 9th and one of the stops would be Cozumel. Well, I'll do the cruise if I can dive at all the stops. So today I go online to book my shore excursions. I'll be diving with my 18 yo daughter, and my 15 year old son. My son and I are AOW/Nitrox cert. I've booked my dives for Jamaica, and Grand Cayman and as I went to book the Cozumel dives, I see that the cruise line has taken the scuba dives off of the list. They were just there last week. I called and they said the removed the diving because of the damage from the hurricane. CRAP! I've read all the posts and I want to see for myself. The ship arrives at the dock at 10:00 am on Friday, April 14th and departs that evening at 7:00.

Any recommendations on a dive outfit that is near the cruise dock? I've seen mention of Christi. What is her website? Any thoughts! Help! If I don't find a dive, I will be sentenced to a day of shopping!!!!!!!!:)

10am arrival will limit your choices a bit since most of the smaller shops leave around 8-8:30am. I don't have any personal experience to share, but I have read posts from people who set up their dives with Dive with Martin and Scuba with Alison. And I know that Sand Dollar handles many of the ship diving excursions so their schedule may have something that fits with ship's port call times.

You could also book an afternoon trip. Blue Angel, Dive Paradise, Aqua Safari, Scubadu and I'm sure several others, have scheduled afternoon one or two tank trips. If you book an afternoon just be careful to get the "all aboard" time for your ship first. It can be up to 90 minutes before the port departure time. Some of the 2 tank afternoons are scheduled to return 5-5:30pm. (then again, worst case is you miss the ship and have to stay in Cozumel!)

Misplaced Priority:
Any recommendations on a dive outfit that is near the cruise dock? I've seen mention of Christi. What is her website? Any thoughts! Help! If I don't find a dive, I will be sentenced to a day of shopping!!!!!!!!:)

Misplaced Priority,

We dove with Christi's Blue X~T Sea Diving in Feb and her operation is as good as everyone says. She has one of the best DM's that I've ever seen which was important to us since my girlfriend is a newly certified diver... He held her hand the whole time while I was able to take pictures... I think he may have gotten the better end of that deal now that I think about it... :wink: Christ's website is: http://www.bluextseadiving.com/index.php

If you can get on her afternoon schedule you all are sure to have a great time and see the best that Cozumel has to offer.... Besides a great crew, she also has a fast boat that should help with your limited time.

If she happens to be booked, I noticed on your profile that you also like fishing so I'd also suggest Emerald Dolphin for your consideration. They operate a 36 foot Albatros Dive Boat and a 41 foot Viking Convertible Sport Fishing yacht and you can combine a fishing/dive trip with them. I've found them to be very flexible on departure times, as well as willing to put together a custom trip. They are also known to be good with new divers.

While Carlos, their normal DM is very good and attentive with new divers, if your daughter needs additional training, you can request that Suzanne or Tony, the owners, dive with you... As a side note, with three daughters myself, I know how important the head is on our Grady White... I'm sure your 18 year old daughter would appreciate it as well...

Also, besides the other recommendations that you received which are all well known and highly regarded, I've also had good luck scheduling with Alison from Scuba with Alison. You can reach her at: Alison@scubawithalison.com <Alison@scubawithalison.com> and her site is: http://www.scubawithalison.com

That said, I'm curious what cruise line is not offering diving on Cozumel? Hope you and your family enjoy your trip.

Blue Moon

Misplaced Priority:
Any recommendations on a dive outfit that is near the cruise dock? I've seen mention of Christi. What is her website? Any thoughts! Help!
Christi's website is http://www.bluextseadiving.com/index.php. I have never dove with her, but am very impressed with her reputation and she is one of the most helpful folks here on the board, so I imagine she would be an excellent choice.

I have only been to Coz once and used Dive with Martin. I couldnt have been happier with the service. I was a brand new diver and was amazed at what I was able to see and do. David was my favorite DM.

Have fun. What cruise line is it you are using? They need a little education. I have three different friends that have made post-Wilma cruises and dove Cozumel just like before.

Take a look at this post if you havent already, some great, recent picts.

Willie

I just got back from Coz. We stayed and and dove with Aqua Safari. Their afternoon boat departs at 2:30 and returns by 4:30. Usually they go to Paradise Reef for that dive. Their dock is across the street from the shop and downtown so it is walking distance from where you are likely to be dropped off.

Thanks everyone for such great feedback. I think you saved me from the jaws of an afternoon shopping spree. I've been in touch with Christi and looks like I'll be able to do the afternoon dive. Can't wait!!
Also, Blue Moon. I'm a fellow Grady White owner. I have the 28 cc with twin Yam 200s Sweet Sweet Sweet!

Misplaced Priority:
... as I went to book the Cozumel dives, I see that the cruise line has taken the scuba dives off of the list. They were just there last week. I called and they said the removed the diving because of the damage from the hurricane.

You said that the ship arrives "at the dock" at 10 AM. There are no operational cruise ship docks on Cozumel at the moment; all traffic between ship and shore is done by tender. Some cruise ships are not even going to Cozumel because of this, and many folks that get to Cozumel on cruise ships end up staying aboard because it's such a slow process to move a lot of people that way. When I was there in January, I heard one crusero complaining that his group had to wait two hours after arriving at Cozumel for a spot on a tender.

Anyway, I suspect that this is the damage from the hurricane that they are talking about rather than the damage to the reefs.

ggunn:
You said that the ship arrives "at the dock" at 10 AM. There are no operational cruise ship docks on Cozumel at the moment; all traffic between ship and shore is done by tender. Some cruise ships are not even going to Cozumel because of this, and many folks that get to Cozumel on cruise ships end up staying aboard because it's such a slow process to move a lot of people that way. When I was there in January, I heard one crusero complaining that his group had to wait two hours after arriving at Cozumel for a spot on a tender.

Anyway, I suspect that this is the damage from the hurricane that they are talking about rather than the damage to the reefs.

WOW! I did not realize that. I was there last year and we tied up to a pier. I would agree with you that they most likely were referring to the damaged pier than the reefs. Thanks for that info. Sounds like it could be a real mess with the shuttle boats.

Thanks that is good information to have!

Misplaced Priority:
Thanks for that info. Sounds like it could be a real mess with the shuttle boats.
Here is some info I filed away for reference in case I ever need it. This is not the whole post, click the link for that.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=773700&postcount=4

09-14-2004, 02:02 PM #4
ScubaDobe

Most ships will have a tender ticket type of scheme to get off first thing in the morning. If you read this in your nightly cruise newspaper of events. Get to this line early to get one of the first tenders off and you'll be all set.​
Made sense to me.

Willie

Misplaced Priority:
Thanks everyone for such great feedback. I think you saved me from the jaws of an afternoon shopping spree. I've been in touch with Christi and looks like I'll be able to do the afternoon dive. Can't wait!!
Also, Blue Moon. I'm a fellow Grady White owner. I have the 28 cc with twin Yam 200s Sweet Sweet Sweet!
Hey, I'm diving with Christis' OP that afternoon too! Hope to see you on the Shamu or maybe the Hint:wink: Hint:wink:? (Top Secret Classified info....):D SSHHHhhhh....
Loretta

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom