Coral bleaching in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renpirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was just reading an article on coral bleaching really hitting the Caribbean hard. I know around Nassau in the Bahamas, it's really bad. However, I don't remember seeing much bleaching in Cozumel when I was there in December. Has anyone noticed any bleaching that is not Wilma related? I don't want to start any nasty rumors. I am just curious as to the extent of this phenomenon.

How would one tell apart hurricane-bleached vs. non-hurricane-bleached?

Hmmm, good point. Based upon your profile, you would be the expert. So, it could be happening, but was masked by the effects of the hurricane?

I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, but the dives I've done in Dec and Feb in Cozumel, I didn't really notice bleaching. Dives I did in the Akumal area on the mainland did have bleaching on some sites, but it was sporatic. They have marine biologist groups coming in to do detailed surveys. They will be monitoring conditions over time to attempt to determine exact causes and corrections.

I've been diving in Akumal longer then Cozumel. I find it interesting how different the diving is in two areas considering they are not very far from eachother.

One normally doesn't see much (new) bleaching in the winter months. Folks that perform coral surveys during this time tend to be either:

1. Establishing a pre-summer baseline
2. Late in surveying from last summer
3. Testing hypotheses for less common bleaching factors (i.e. runoff, disease)
4. Diving in the winter because it's the only time they're available

#4 is pretty common. Hurricanes screw up a lot of scientists' schedules.

There is actually a big difference in bleaching vs. what you se in Cozumel as related to Wilma.

Fortunatley, bleaching is not something we have had a problem with here.

When I was in BVI in December, the bleaching there was still very obvious and very sad. However, you could also tell that it was in fact recovering.

Just as a quick visual...think of the soft corals being white...literally. Sometimes only parts of it, others just the tips. As the water warms up, this goes away and the corals regain their natural color. It is a quick recovery in most cases. Think of it as a limp plant, then you water it...and in a few days it is vibrant again. It doesn't happen quite this quickly with coral, but you get the point.

If I ever get to my trip report and editing my pictures from the trip...I can show you some coral bleaching.

Christi:
There is actually a big difference in bleaching vs. what you se in Cozumel as related to Wilma.

When I was in BVI in December, the bleaching there was still very obvious and very sad. However, you could also tell that it was in fact recovering.

Just as a quick visual...think of the soft corals being white...literally. Sometimes only parts of it, others just the tips. As the water warms up, this goes away and the corals regain their natural color. It is a quick recovery in most cases. Think of it as a limp plant, then you water it...and in a few days it is vibrant again. It doesn't happen quite this quickly with coral, but you get the point.

If I ever get to my trip report and editing my pictures from the trip...I can show you some coral bleaching.

Wow, you got to go on another vacation? You must be splurging Christi. :D

I hope BVI wasn't as bad as Nassau, so much of the coral there was dead. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays away from Coz and everywhere else recovers quick.

Christi:

Weeeell... Cozumel reefs have a tendency to stay healthier than most other regions of the Caribbean, but the area does get mass bleaching events. 1989 and 1995 were particularly severe on the local reefs. The 1997-98 El Nino problems somehow avoided Cozumel. To quote Napoleon Dynamite, "LUCKEEEEE!"

Bleaching is usually related to water temperature. Cozumel reefs get all jacked up when it gets too hot, just like other reefs. The 2005 mean summer temps around Cozumel were much cooler than that for the parboiled eastern Caribbean, which explains a lot.

Scientists don't really survey Cozumel reefs much. Hardly at all, actually. Thus the public often synonymizes a lack of coral reporting to mean the same thing as the reefs being healthy. However, historical comparison studies by Goreau (a leading coral dude) have shown otherwise. It's the very devil to track down this research. There's some nice stuff about white plague on Cozumel corals.
http://www.globalcoral.org/Dolphin enclosures and algae distributions at Chankanaab, Co.htm

The reefs are still in better shape than most other places in the Caribbean. And americans really can't beat the prices either.

Regarding 2005 bleaching damage for the area, I haven't read anything but anecdotal or amateur accounts. Usually it takes at least a year before final reports are completed. I haven't seen anything on NOAA's coral researcher listserv regarding hurricane wilma. Not one peep. Which either means nobody's done any surveys, the research is still being worked up, or the researchers aren't on the listserv. EVERYBODY'S on the listserv.

archman:
Regarding 2005 bleaching damage for the area, I haven't read anything but anecdotal or amateur accounts. Usually it takes at least a year before final reports are completed. I haven't seen anything on NOAA's coral researcher listserv regarding hurricane wilma. Not one peep. Which either means nobody's done any surveys, the research is still being worked up, or the researchers aren't on the listserv. EVERYBODY'S on the listserv.

Thanks for the info. I guess we'll just have to see how this plays out. I go to Coz every year, so its nothing that would stop me anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom