Help! About to book - where should I stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1gromit

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Cheers!

Can't wait to get to Coz and DIVE!

But first, where should I stay? I've been twice before - I stayed at the Presidente (my favorite, but sadly now closed), and Fiesta Americana (respectable and closer to my current budget).

I'd like to try somewhere new. My ideal:

1. AI (preferable but not essential)
2. Bit of beach (and, f there's any snorkeling left, I'd like that as I love snorkeling when I'm not diving)
3. Allows the non-house dive shops to pick me up at the hotel pier w/o any hassle
4. Bit of night life. Doesn't have to be in the city or even near the city, but I do like a bit of night life. (I'm single, will be going solo; I'm not a big party person or a big drinker - I'm really there to dive - but I do like a bit of night life, just good people about, really)

I can afford the middle to upper-middle hotels (e.g. I think the Occi Grand is a bit too pricey for me, but I think most other places I could manage)

What I've been thinking:

Iberostar would be perfect, but for two things: Dressel routinely gets marginal reviews, esp. from experienced divers, and unless some relatively experienced diver has very good recent reviews, I'd rather not dive with them. Secondly, I keep hearing that they are, not always but sometimes, really finicky about who they let use their pier. I really don't want that hassle

So all, Help! What are you thoughts??? Where should I stay:? I'd like to book in the next day or two (for the first week of May, so I've got to get crackin')

Thanks so much,

1gromit

Was there in Feb stayed at Caribe Blu, ok or would say casa mexicana I think north of Caribe Blu. Caribe Blu dive op on site good op. Had 12 ft seas go thru lobby rebuilt. Only complaint was no ice machine had to buy next door. no fridge in room got cooler from deep Blue no table on patio deep blue lent us one. And the marina next door is busting concrete with jack hammer during the day. They are next door. Loud for a vacation while sitting on the porch. But water view. Oop's Casa Mexicana down town open stayed there labor day ocean view nice/ok/not bad. Hotel Cozumel was what I should have said first. Not on water other side of street,but closer to town.

sorry blue angel was dive op on site that helped us out!

reef club is an awesome ai resort. the reef club rates up there with all of the resorts that coz has to offer. it is an ai resort with a beautiful beach, great dive op, standard fare and every night is a different theme with respect to entertainment. if you have any questions, send me a pm.

hope this helps.

mozz

domino22:
. Hotel Cozumel was what I should have said first. Not on water other side of street,but closer to town.

They do have a small beach club across the street from the hotel. We stay there every year and it suits us.

You want night life better stay in town....

I'd recommend Occidental Allegro. Just north of the Grand. Comparable to Iberostar with none of the problems of outside dive ops. You can do your favorite op for your morning dives and still catch a single tank pm or night dive with the house op - Dive Palancar. They are a pretty good op but tend to be fairly conservative with bottom times to keep their 4 single tanks dive per day schedule.

Hi All,

Thanks for your help. I made a decision about where to stay...

I did a lot of research on the various hotels, probably too much, because ultimately I found conflicting information, good/bady reviews, of virtually every place that has been suggested!

So, I made it simple: I booked at the Fiesta Americana, simply because I've stayed there before and it was decent place. Also, I extended my stay by a day, and I'll use that to stop by various other hotels/resorts to check them out for my NEXT visit!

So again, Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom