News to me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CozumelAntonio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I hope no one is bothered by me posting this here, but I need to put it out there for the record.

I just received the following email:

Although I havent been on these boards in a long time, I have just
returned from by 20th trip to the island. I am so impressed with the work
since post Wilma.
However, I had to look you up since I have heard so many negative
things from the locals and others about you. It seems most think you are the
biggest scam artist on the island! After going back and reading posts,
I can understand. It is fortunate for you that for the most part these
people have kept the opinion to themselves.
I often heard how you had told lies about other dive related people and
how you would do anything for a free meal or drink. Of course everyone
grew tired of your self promotion with your clothing line.
But I guess the worst thing I heard was how you were now trying to
collect money that was given to locals in appreciation to their efforts
post Wilma. Of course, the joke is that the money is not designated for
you but you are trying to take it anyway. (I heard this from someone off
the island so your scam reputation is widespread!) With so many good
people, it is a shame that the people on these boards do not know the
real Antonio!

Needless to say I am quite surprised. I know there are many people on the island who don't like me, and more than a couple who probably hate my guts. Be it for my very brash way of being, my excessive luck and commercial sucess at the diveshop I have managed for 5 years, or maybe my seasonal heavy partying, and sometimes drunken obnoxiousness. But I have always been a champion of the TRUTH.

But scam artist??? I do not know who this person that emailed me is, nor do I know who they talked to, but it is obviously some extremely misinformed and vicious people. I have never, at all to anyone on any forum or privately, asked for anything for anyone regarding the hurricane, I have not had anything to do with any "relief" campaign of any kind, though there are several people in Cozumel, mostly foreginers, who have been involved in relief efforts.

Lied about dive people???? Do anything for a free meal or drink??? *** is that about. There have been countless people on the boards who have posted "I'd love to buy you a drink". To this day I believe it has happened twice, and both times it was very nice people I already knew. I have no need to mooch from anyone, I do quite well and dine out often, on my own dime.

If what this person is saying is true, and there are many people in Cozumel, and even out of Cozumel, saying these things, it makes me very very sad. I have stepped on my fair share of toes since 1989 when I arrived here, and I am not one to tolerate the BS that some people just love to surround themselves with. I don't have alot of tolerance for the stupid and shallow attitudes and ways of thinking I find in many people, and thus keep to myself alot, and a very, very reduced circle of friends.

Whoever you are that emailed me, I want to tell you that what you say you were told is way, way off, and could not be further from the truth.

I know that some of you out there do know the real Antonio, and I know that if confronted with this kind of BS, you would know it for what it is.

I saw this same thing happen to a guy here who had financial success (from hard work) here, rather quickly. Other operators spread all kinds of vicious lies about him. I had never seen this kind of thing before...very viscious. Just know that it happens to others also and ignore it...don't feed the beast.

I will go on the record for you Antonio!

I know Antonio personally, and yes, at times he can come across to some people as abrasive...but he has a heart of gold and he does ALOT for this island and his friends. He is articulate, educated and just doesn't put up with BS...and I think for that, some people may find fault rather than try to understand him.

Afterthe hurricane, I was in charge of one of the relief funds. Not only did Antonio not keep money for himself...he refused to take a donation I earmarked for him. He told me to give his portion to the divemasters...so I did. It took me awhile to get in touch with some of them, but eventually, I hope that they received their money from the owner of Scuba Du.

IMO, his entrepreneurial spirit and drive is to be commended. When he found himself out of work after Wilma...through no fault of his own...he found a creative way to support his family without begging for money. He spent hours upon hours documenting island recovery with his photo journal, and sharing those photos with all of us.

Those who know the real Antonio know exactly what I am talking about.

Keep doing what you're doing and keep being you Antonio! Those of us who actually know you...love you :)

Happy Easter Amigo!

I have never met you, Antonio, but I did read many of your posts on various boards post-Wilma, and I appreciated the mass of photos that you have posted. I thought you were very resourceful with opening your online store. The hurricane put you out of a job. You could have sat around complaining about it or hoped for possible donations to come you way, or even left Cozumel all together. Instead, you were very resourceful and found a way to make a living when you needed it most.

Your photos and numerous posts on many different Cozumel oriented boards made many people feel comfortable to return to Coz for their vacations as soon as they did rather then wait until airlines and tour companies returned. And people who bought and wore your tshirts also brought attention to the fact that Cozumel was ready and waiting for vacationers to return.

Tony how about you send them this:

ngbbs3e3971311329b.gif

And tell them where they can plant their lips.

You have done the island a true service by documenting the recovery from the hurricane, and your resourcefullness has fed your family. So ignore the morons and keep doing what you do.

:)

PS - I bet it was one of the Lomas Travel people who emailed you!

BWAHAHAHAHHA! :D

I had the opportunity to meet Antonio - and his family - on a recent trip to Cozumel. (I have been looking forward to continuing a conversation regarding the subtleties of Mexican politics – among other things – ever since.) I found Antonio to be a great ambassador for Cozumel, the recovery, and tourism. He is articulate, insightful and sincere. Never did I hear or feel a hint of a scam. Antonio was modest and hopeful about his current ventures.

I agree with Christi - Antonio has worked build something for himself and his family. Action, not petitioning. Commendable.

Antonio,

I first read that posting on anther board. My first thought was “you must be kidding”.

For some sad reason, there are those who would use this channel to try to push misery out of their own life – foolishly thinking that putting the burden on someone else will help their own pain. This is even harder to understand when you are the target of something you would not do yourself. Don’t let it get you down, it’s just envy, amigo - you know who you are!

While I have never met you, I must say I truely enjoy your picture album.

If need be, we can track this ill-mannered person down and set him straight for you.

Christi:
I will go on the record for you Antonio!

I know Antonio personally, and yes, at times he can come across to some people as abrasive...but he has a heart of gold and he does ALOT for this island and his friends. He is articulate, educated and just doesn't put up with BS...and I think for that, some people may find fault rather than try to understand him.

Afterthe hurricane, I was in charge of one of the relief funds. Not only did Antonio not keep money for himself...he refused to take a donation I earmarked for him. He told me to give his portion to the divemasters...so I did. It took me awhile to get in touch with some of them, but eventually, I hope that they received their money from the owner of Scuba Du.

IMO, his entrepreneurial spirit and drive is to be commended. When he found himself out of work after Wilma...through no fault of his own...he found a creative way to support his family without begging for money. He spent hours upon hours documenting island recovery with his photo journal, and sharing those photos with all of us.

Those who know the real Antonio know exactly what I am talking about.

Keep doing what you're doing and keep being you Antonio! Those of us who actually know you...love you :)

Happy Easter Amigo!

Thank you Christy, and happy Easter to you too!

94GTStang:
While I have never met you, I must say I truely enjoy your picture album.

If need be, we can track this ill-mannered person down and set him straight for you.
Really? that's possible?? I checked the Yahoo address it came from with messenger and found that email addy was registered today, April 14th.... I'd be very interested if you have access to some way of tracking this person...thanks

Hey Tony!
I hope to meat you when we are on the island in May!

I have enjoyed your fotos!

Don't let the b***ards bring you down!

CozumelAntonio:
Really? that's possible?? I checked the Yahoo address it came from with messenger and found that email addy was registered today, April 14th.... I'd be very interested if you have access to some way of tracking this person...thanks

Hmm.... I am sure there are some ways in which he can be tracked. What is suspicious is that the account was created the same day. This could mean a whole bunch of things. If we had access to his IP address, then it is possible to track him down. Post up his email address for all of us to see. Perhaps someone else on these boards might have an idea to track the name of the person.
I would suggest signing him up for a bunch of spam mail to flood his email box... but I think that is classified as internet harassment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom