Cinco De Mayo in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1gromit

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Anyone been in Coz during Cinco De Mayo? is it celebrated there?

My sense has always been that Cinco De Mayo is celebrated more in the South Western and Western U.S. than it is in Mexico.

So, anyone been in Coz during CDM? Any advice on what to do?

Thanks,

1gromit

We go every year, but not for the big party. They have festivities in the plaza and obviously C&C and the gang are going at full speed. We're old and get worn out diving ;-)

1gromit:
Hi all,

Anyone been in Coz during Cinco De Mayo? is it celebrated there?

My sense has always been that Cinco De Mayo is celebrated more in the South Western and Western U.S. than it is in Mexico.

So, anyone been in Coz during CDM? Any advice on what to do?

Thanks,

1gromit

Hi again. You are correct that Cinco de Mayo is a bigger deal amongst Stateside Latinos than most places in Mexico, but the Cedral Festival on Cozumel is celebrated at about the same time. Cedral is a small village in the interior of Cozumel; the turnoff to it is well marked on the road south of town down near San Francisco and Playa Palancar. Lots of the locals go to it, as well as us turistas; there are games and music, as well as much beer and tequila. I've never been to it, but folks that have say it's fun.

I can't believe someone isn't going to ask "when is it this year?" :wink:

Really though, the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque each October stages weekend "mass ascension" flights.
Calls to the chamber of commerice have included inquires such as "do I have to be catholic to attend a mass ascension?"

Cinco de Maya is really not a big event here. More of a celebration in the States.
From what my limited history tells me that in 1862 the Mexican army were victorious over French troops around Western Mexico. Correct me if I am wrong. Didnt do well in History....

Dies y seis de Septembre is the Mexican "4th of July". Cinco de Mayo is celebrated mainly in the Northern Mexican states and in the SW states of the US.

Like they have told you, it's not celebrated by the people here in Mexico, they do stage the battle in Puebla, were it was held, and you get the day off, but people don't celebrate it.

Infact the only thing people celebrate here, is The independence (september 16), holy week, which is this weekend, the day of the virgen Guadalupe (december 12) and Christmas and New years day.

pablovi:
Like they have told you, it's not celebrated by the people here in Mexico, they do stage the battle in Puebla, were it was held, and you get the day off, but people don't celebrate it.

Infact the only thing people celebrate here, is The independence (september 16), holy week, which is this weekend, the day of the virgen Guadalupe (december 12) and Christmas and New years day.

On Cozumel, there is a sort of "founders day" celebration at Cedral in early May, and their Carnaval (Mardi Gras) is a pretty big party as well.

ggunn:
On Cozumel, there is a sort of "founders day" celebration at Cedral in early May, and their Carnaval (Mardi Gras) is a pretty big party as well.

Oh yeah, every little town often celebrates it's foundation day, but it varies from town to twon. And the Carnival must be a tourist thing, but it's not a civil celebration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom